Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Speech, Free press. Ireland does well.

Options
  • 25-10-2002 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭

A new report about the freedom of the press released. Ireland does better than the UK and the US. No.6, very respectful.

www.rsf.fr/article.php3?id_article=4116

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

good to know.

I was very concerned about the reasons given for banning those television ad's the other day. I thought it was total rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Obviously "Reporters Without Borders" have never read this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Mr White

I'm not so sure the Irish media is shackled by libel laws.OK,Guerin may have had a reason for going at criminals directly.But then I look at refugees.Whenever there's a story about abuses of the asylum system it usually appears in an English paper,eg,cars for asylum seekers in the Irish Star and earlier comparisons of welfare entitlements for Irish people and 'refugees',also reported in English tabloids.

Red NUJ has political reasons for not reporting these stories: they're in favour of Third World settlement here,so they don't report facts as they are.This libel story is just a sham.

They're get-fat Leftists.Nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Mr White

You clearly are hugely misinformed about refugees, asylum seekers and immigrants as shown by this post and the some of your others.
    You're wrong about that.What I posted on that other thread was factual(36,000 visas;10,000 asylum seekers).You just didn't like the prediction I made about post-enlargement immigration trends.

Here's another fact you won't read in Irish newspapers.Asylum seeker and refugee numbers peaked worldwide in 1992 and have been falling since.Yet Ireland has experienced the opposite trend:39 applications for asylum in 1992(after 10 years of no applications at all) to over 10,000 p.a. since 2000.This paradox should frame every refugee story in Ireland.The reader should know that what is happening in Ireland is exceptional,and we should therefore ask why?

That Irish newspapers don't ask the hard questions has less to do with libel laws,and more to do with Red NUJ's political guidelines which ensure that we only read orthodox opinions about so-called refugees.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Both of ye stay on topic and stop flaming.

I think we have a good deal of freedom of the press, however I feel that many of the more contentious and potentially libellous stories would be covered by tabloid, rather than broadsheet reporting (although that said a particular "Goodbye Gomsheen Man" article by a well known broadsheet springs to mind).

A lot of newspapers engage in selective reporting, but this is not always related to the fact that they are gagged on reporting other issues. Papers usually have a slant that appeals to a particular 'market' be it "Working Class", "Left wing" or "Right wing".

Advertisement