Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing XP over 98SE

• 25-10-2002 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

I am going to install XP on to my PC and want to know what kind of problems I might run in to or are there things I should do beforehand to prepare e.g. do I need to download drivers for everything before I install? Will I have problems running some of my software?

Ta Kindly

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭deckie27

There is a program on the xp cd that will check ur hardware and software for compatability
    Run this and it will soon tell you the story

Deco

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Cheers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Why would it be better to do a fresh install?

A clean install of any operating system is always good
    When I was running 98 I had to reinstall it every few months
    It would start to become unstable and ****ty only thing to do was the old format c:

Also there will be a pile of **** in your registry that is slowing down your computer, Why bring it with you ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Also, you're dealing with two different file systems, FAT 32 (Win 98) and NTFS (Win XP). This would probably (though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!) lead to problems anyway down the road so a complete format and reinstall would be the better option.

Besides, there's nothing like that freshly formatted smell, is there? :D

XP will run fine on Fat32
    But ntfs is a better safer and more secure system

I luv the smell of a freshly formated parartion

Advertisement