Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The State Of the Southside

• 26-10-2002 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

I dont like big posts I never read them so Im keepin this short.
    Over the past few years i have noticed casual violence spreading through the southside. When I was younger I lived in TAllaght and played till 11 at night on the streets now Im 19, i live in templeogue and I cant walk around with some nud and his boyze LOOKING to fight/cause damage to property ect ect.

Has anyone else noticed a rise in small crime and are the police dealing with or have they aknowledged the existance of the extent of this type of crime?

Grimes (notice the pun in the subject,im quite proud)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

I see it, and it damn well annoys me. Its not bad where I live, being Rathgar n' all, but (no offence) I went to see xXx(shudder) in UCI yesternight, and by GOD. I'm bringing a rifle next time.

*gets rifle*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

It's not too bad <although it gets worse this time of year anyway> where i live (Rathfarnham). Or at least I don't get much hassle <somehow>.

But yeah... I think the cops are too busy doing things like busting 6 bars last week. And arresting small time hash dealers (which will undoubtably cost the state far more than eliminating these "menaces" is worth). Certainly there's a lot more "tough" lads around and they seem to be getting away with that much more. But then, do we really want a massive police presence on our streets?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Yeah :/, I'm in Knocklyon, near Templeogue, what a hovel as soon as it hits night.

Gangs of knackers roam the areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

templeogue is an area you would imagine to be not too afflicted but it is actually one of the worst area's. (you guys have the Menton's, for goodness sake!). im in harolds cross and its not too bad, its mostly 8 year olds who only attempt verbal abuse. but i know of people who have been hopped on for no reason in templeogue. i dont know much about other places....i know it happened to a mate of mine outside a club in rathmines last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Around me it's not so bad. Just a few fools with mopeds that think they are hard by talking bull but really would do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

But then, do we really want a massive police presence on our streets?

well yes

I'd rather the cops than the scangers :)

There seems to be mass migration at night. Most of the knackers hanging around Knocklyon at night come from Churchtown. Most of the knackers hanging around Templeogue come from Knocklyon. Most of the knackers hanging around firhouse come from Tallaght, etc etc.

There has certainly been a huge growth in the number of 'boyaz' in the Southside since I was a lad, but it's not very bad anywhere in my experience. Most of them just talk hard and drive mopeds with the helmet on top of their head, but don't actually do anything. They tend to back down and pretend they were havnig a laugh when you stand up to them.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

We have already had one death in TEmpleogue because of the trouble with people trying to proove themselves in Dublin. The police need to recognise the scale of this timebomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

I blame MTV.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by lordsippa
    But then, do we really want a massive police presence on our streets?

Damn right we do. I'm sick of the scum in the country getting away with murder(literally). I was in Liverpool recently and saw more Police in 2 days on the street than I have seen in 2 years in Dublin. I for one would welcome a stronger more visible Garda presence on the streets.

I blame MTV.

I blame inadaquate people who are not fit to take care of a goldfish let alone a child who reproduce themselves with gay abandon

I've seen kids barely toddling being turned out of the house during the day to "go play with the traffic"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i saw the scrawniest, most drug-addicted looking guy and girl one day. typical scum, they were around 20, pushing a pram and smoking a joint. they looked like they'd had a little more than a joint tho, i felt so sorry for the kid who was squealing its head off. its mother just kept shouting at it to 'shut the **** up'

i felt so sorry for the kid who was squealing its head off. its mother just kept shouting at it to 'shut the **** up'

the problem with eugenics is Hitler gave it a bad name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Its not bad at all where i live, quite respectable if i daresay, but as i am a very tall guy i find that a lot of the smaller skanger especially when assembled in large groups of say six skangers or skangettes feel as if they must challenge me to a fight to impress
    their mates
    to prove to their fellowship that they are
    hard
    , and if i decline the tempting offer of kicking scumbag ass i get lambasted with abusive taunts. In nine cases out of ten i could easily handle myself, but i hate violence and would rather turn my cheek than enter a round of fisticuffs with some skangers for a worthless cause.

Also whats the deal with asking for a loan of 50cent, its not exactly a loan as i'm never going to see the person again and if i actually do, they are hardly going to refund the loan. If you refuse to pay they walk off in a state of annoyance with their mates muttering about
    yer man back dere wood'n gimme me bus fare, da stoopid bollik, i'll gett himm i wil

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Scumbags are great, well I thnk so .

1: They will not say a word too you in groups of two or three untill they are far enough to shout back "faggeh' or qwayor" or they will not say anythin unless they are in a gang of bigger / harder scumbags to protect them.

2: Caught on their own (as happened to my brother's scumbag enemy from accross the road) they tremble in fear when the person they call a fag turns out to be the biggest/hardest bouncer in Dublin and a mate of mine.

It was great to see a "tough bud" squirm at the hands of a bouncer while his mates were no where to be found.

Plus we need somone to do menial jobs when were running this country or populate our prisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Grimes
    It was great to see a "tough bud" squirm at the hands of a bouncer while his mates were no where to be found.

Surely it would have been better for his friends to see him scat in his pants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Have you noticed that most "tough buds" and "Tina's" have red hair and wear celtic jerseys, thats usually their most distinguishing trait from a distance.
    No offense intended to any red head or celtic fans