Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traducteurs?

Options
  • 26-10-2002 4:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

Any translators out there? Was wondering about what it's like. Is there much work in it? I'm a French/Spanish graduate and was considering doing an MA in Translation Studies at DCU.

What is the work/pay like? Are there many places here in Ireland, or is it likely you'd have to go abroad?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Very hard to get official work if English is your native language. Most translation work is from English, and is nigh on impossible to get if you're not a French/Spanish speaker. Well, in my experience, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

That's what I was afraid of. What about abroad? I mean there must be more of a demand for native English speakers? Mind you I guess there's probably a plethora of French and Spanish speaking native Irish/English people abroad..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've only ever tried in France, to be honest, and I managed to get two week long jobs in eighteen months. The pay was excellent, and the jobs were interesting enough, but you couldn't live off it. Ever tried simultaneous translation? If you can get your head around that, there's a possibility of work at international conferences, but it's a total head**** if your brain is not that way inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by pickarooney
    Ever tried simultaneous translation? If you can get your head around that, there's a possibility of work at international conferences, but it's a total head**** if your brain is not that way inclined.

I'm not at all into interpreting, although I should try as it'll be more of an advantage than just translation. I have done interpreting at Uni, but the simulatenous translation was not at all like the real thing. Long pauses and what not. I suppose I could do the MA in Interpreting rather than Translation, but I think it would be a real head-wreck.

Lot easier doing it on paper :D

Advertisement