Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Touch Usb fails to connect everytime ..678 error

Options
  • 26-10-2002 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭

At my wits end here,

Bough a new motherboard and processor so installed them last night and reloaded winxp..all went fine no problems.

However the alcatel usb modem supplied by Eircom absolutely , completly refuses to dial out, just gives connecting throun Wan miniport....and then error 678..the remote computer failed to to respond.

Called eircom tech and they say the user and pass is fine and that the service is fine their end.

Have reloaded xp 3 times now..same problem everyime.

Plugged the usb modem in another pc which is unchanged and which it worked fine previously on too...and its giving the exact same error.

the alcatel icon in the systray is green , which indicates proper signal is being received..the fuppin thing just doesnt want to seem to connect.

Anyone got any suggestions??...or know anywhere i can pick up an ethernet or usb modem this weekend??

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Are you using Eircoms software?

uninstall it and install RASPPPOE . Its 10 times better than eircoms software and has never failed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

You said you reinstalled XP, did you reinstall the Alcatel XP Update?

And yea, RASSPPPOE works great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

xp has built in pppoe support so no need for using eircoms crap software or raspppoe. your problem was happening to be a few days ago. the line simply would not connect yet the phone line was fine, the adsl line was in sync. i just left it for a few hours and went back and it was fine. obviously something wrong at the eircom end.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Have to say kudo's to Niall and John in eircom (hope yer boards readers lads) , it working again :)

One suggested RASSPPPOE and the other mailed me the eircom win2k setup file (i chucked out the eircom cd or lost it..) to try in win2k.

Installed the standard RFC1483 drivers NOT the PPPoe in Win2k and installed the eircom soft (was pulling my hair out at this point)..and it connected...therefore modem couldnt be at fault....

So popped winxp back on, and instead of installing the PPPOE usb drivers installed the standard ones..and RASSPPPOE now installed fine ..and then had the option for broadband dialup in xp un greyed..

Bingo!! worked a treat, internet is blazing fast again...maybe faster than before( though compaired to 56k i'm prolly just reappreciating the speed again) going back to 56k even for one day left me shaken..never ever wanna go there again.

Thanks one and all for your suggestions....RASSPPPOE and winxp cannot be beaten imho :))

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement