Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East BT ADSL

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

Like Moses, no issues on my end. 4 weeks from order to install. I went for Lineshare and had no problems.

I can only guess that the ISDN part of the equation screwed everything up. Perhaps the way to go is to just get rid of ISDN and go for a bog standard line and then get DSL. This is what eircom insist you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by David C
    €108.90 actually.. you forgot to add VAT

So is that a month, and how much r u allowed to download?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Originally posted by MadKevo
    It's already gone 2000 metres over dodgy CAT 1 (?)

RJ-11 m8 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I also had the same questions about hunting on my ISDN Line. It's used for Data only so I rang Eircom and they told me Hunting is controlled on the ISDN Plug & Play box (We have one of the old ISDN boxes without the Analog ports).

In the end I just told EsatBT to use one of our analog lines. When it's connected and working I can get rid of ISDN.

DSL is a big saver for a small business we will save €400 a month on ISDN call charges

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MoSeS_.

Well the end of the rat is in sight. I got a letter from them informing me that my line had been unbundled and that my account was now in Credit to the princely sum of €26 which they will refund me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Well the end of the rat is in sight. I got a letter from them informing me that my line had been unbundled and that my account was now in Credit to the princely sum of €26 which they will refund me.

What do Esat charge for line rental then???

I just had a thought about vat on line rental (because I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist) ... could it be that Charlie Mcreevy has been telling the ODTR to hold up the whole wireless broadband thing because the government will be out of pocket from all the vat on all those line rentals ... (people drop their phone lines and use mobiles for phone and wireless for d'internet):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Hmm, there was I getting all exited from reading this forum, that 1) my ericon account would be no more and 2) the minimum contract period is 3 months.

However according to ESat BT, both are incorrect. I asked was it just my line that couldn't be unbundled, she said no that evey customer has to hold on to their eircom line until sometime next year when lines will be unbundled. (I clarified this to be sure I had got it right).

I've failed the eircon ADSL test, so I assumed that means no ESat BT ADSL for me. Again, au contraire (sp!?). The nice ESat girl told me that as long as I was within range I'd be able to get it, and that they've had no line quality problems with their equipment.

It remains to be seen...

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by BigEejit
    What do Esat charge for line rental then???

They don't do line rental....yet.
    I think Moses has changed a 2nd line into purely DSL, that is; there is no voice capabilities, and you can't receive calls on it. So he's just paying his DSL fees to Esat every month, and nothing to Eircom for that line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

thanks for clarifying that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

So he's just paying his DSL fees to Esat every month, and nothing to Eircom for that line
    I know I'm going at this like its a sore tooth but (cant leave it alone ... morbid fascination, I cant believe that Eircom are not getting some cash for that phone line): ....

Does that money paid to Esat for DSL include line rental (or basically the maintenance contract for that telephone line) so if a big storm comes along and breaks the line ...who fixes it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by eth0_
    They don't do line rental....yet.
    I think Moses has changed a 2nd line into purely DSL, that is; there is no voice capabilities, and you can't receive calls on it. So he's just paying his DSL fees to Esat every month, and nothing to Eircom for that line :)

Is that better to have a line solely for dsl? Is there any benefit? Cuz i have 2 lines already, so if there is some benefit to it then i'd keep the second line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mark McG

My understanding is there is no benefit whatsoever. ADSL and voice can happily co-exist.

However, based on my experience, one benefit is that Esat can't screw up your voice line. Our home phone is still OOS and won't be back until December 2.

Mark.

Originally posted by Mark McG
    Our home phone is still OOS and won't be back until December 2.

Mark.

I hope you've asked for some compensation for that f*ck up! I can't see how it can take them over a week to re-instate your phone line....unreal.

I have asked them to consider compensation. They have not come back to be yet. Remember, I am not yet an Esat customer. They told me that they do not normally pay compensation. However, I feel agrieved as follows:

1. I lost my phone line for what will be close to 14 days through no fault of my own.

2. It took me 20-30 phone calls and one letter to get them to acknowledge that there was an issue and that they were responsible for it. This took 5 days elapsed time (admittedly over a weekend).

3. I have had to deal with some of the most obnoxious people on the planet. I have been lied to by them!

4. We will have to get a "brand new" phone service from Eircom. This will cost €€€ and may take more time!

5. We have had to use mobile phones (at a MUCH higher cost) during our OOS time. Coming up to Christmas, I'm not looking forward to the Vodafone bill.

6. All our friends and family have to call mobiles instead of our land line, costing them more money.

7. We missed a furniture store delivery because they could not contact us.

8. Its bloody embarassing. Anyone who rings us will be thinking "Hey, Mark never paid his bill..."

I could go on for ever. Any ideas what I should look for? I will certainly look for the mobile bills to be paid, as well as any Eircom reconnection fees. Should I also look for time spent/wasted and emotional distress? My wife is going crazy. She is at home all day and really feels cut off. I spoke to the ODTR and the Director of Consumer Affairs and both of them feel I have some case. consumer affairs office recomended the small claims court. My wife thinks Gerry Ryan.

Ideas?

Mark.

"1. I ordered ADSL from Esat BT at the end of September. Asked for it to exist on my Eircom ISDN line. No probem. You'll have it by November 4."

Is what you said. I'm assuming you paid your install fee and 3 months line rental in advance? Where do you get the idea then that you're not an Esat customer? You became an Esat customer the minute you signed the consent form to switch to their DSL service, legally.

You're absolutely right! I did sign paperwork. I had actuallu forgotten. I did not pay anything in advance though, but sign on the dotted line is what I did.

Mark.

Advertisement