Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

backing up files....

• 26-10-2002 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

I am looking for software for backing up folders, which are added to allot and there is about 150gigs of them and most of the files don’t change so I just want to make one big backup and them ever week I want to backup what ever has changed, a scheduler and a searchable database would also be very helpful. Anyone got any ideas it doesn’t matter if its freeware or non-freeware

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

would you not just use a cd rw and burn the folders every week on a friday morning or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

there is about 1500 folders and there is really no eazy way of knowing if they were modified,it would just take too long to do plus my cd burner only writes at cdrw x10 where as it burns cdrs at x32,its not for a business i have alot of mp3s and i have lost loads of them from system crashes and crupt harddrives,so i want them to be backed up fairly regulary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by spooky donkey
    would you not just use a cd rw and burn the folders every week on a friday morning or something

Did you not read the "150gigs" bit? :)

IG.. Any decent backup program will satisfy your requirements... (and even the very basic ones support disk spanning &scheduling), try Norton Ghost.

And I don't think you really had to mention that its all mp3s. Surely you have the original cds anyway?

thanx did i say mp3s i ment mpeg4 i am a big home movie fan ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by irishguy
    thanx did i say mp3s i ment mpeg4 i am a big home movie fan ;)

Home movies eh? I won't ask:D

What are you planning on backing up all these files to - another HD? If not, tape would be best. I wouldn't even think about backing up 150 gigs (even with changes) to CD

Might have a few suggestions but it really depends where you're backing up to

• Advertisement

i was thinking of cdr i have 200 verbatim datalife plus cdrs here which should do the trick,then i was thinking i could get a 180gig drive for around €220 .But every time i got one for just backing up stuff to i end up using the drive for storage mabey i could get another 120gig drive and set it up in RAID 0 my motherboard supports it.tape is way 2 expensive,i saw this thing in game ages ago where you could put a few gigs on a vhs tape it was only about £30 anyone know anthing about this???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Originally posted by Kali
    Did you not read the "150gigs" bit? :)

Miss read thought he was on about 150 megs.

'To err is human, to be drunk is to be Irish, sometimes i am both'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

I,d suggest if ure gonna pay 220 euro for a 180 gig (I want 5 for that price) that u save up and buy a dvd writer m8.

U could possibly pick up one for 300 euro second hand..
    Media dvdrw would be no more than 2 euros... I,d suggest the white label dvdrws have loads here with mp3s small movie files jpegs etc so i think they would be ideal for what ure doing...
    10x dvdrws 20 euro m8..

Every fortnight u could erase and back up.. takes 1 hr at 1x speed. U can get dvdr for little over a euro 2x speed i mean but not dvdrw and burn onto them..
    The possiblites are endless i think u should go down that road !

Just my 2cents :) Appy

Reading over my post again..

Media dvdrw would be no more than 2 euros unless u go to komplett or other places.. There rip off for media prices..
    White label dvdrw... Look for them.. GOOD dvdrws
    Datasafe classics BEST for dvdr especially for movies that play on ure standalone dvd player.. so for ure home movies etc.. :)
    hmm think thats it m8. Let us know how u get on anyway !

i was thinking about getting a dvd-r i think i will wait a while till they are about €200,which shouldnt be long.I can remember when x2 cdrw drives were £200 to £300 and that wasnt that long ago now you can get a X48 for under €100 . If anyone is buying media or dvd burners i would recomend http://www.121cdr.co.uk/ i got stuff off them before and it arrived within a few days

• Advertisement

Ure gonna have to wait another 4-6 months for them to drop a 1/3 in price m8..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 komplett

NEC are coming up with a DVD +R within very shortly to around €375 (+/-) but its not DVD -R but for backup it still be ok.

NEC have a DVD -R with with very good spec and price but no launch date at the moment.

NEC may use the upcoming Xmas to grab market shares, so...

Based on a feedback earlier in this thread I have manage to chopp the prices on DVD -R and DVD +R media.

Todays pricing on www.komplett.ie are set to cover the anti dumping toll in EU (against Taiwaneese companies) and the special tax on recordable media in Sweden, Germany etc (€.50 pr unit of CD-R/RW, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW).

You will see the price change within 1-2 hours from now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

is another hard drive like

So

DAT and DLT cost many times more than another IDE hard drive would.

Failing that it would be an idea to wait for dvd-r at around €200 as the disks cost c.€2 each. You'll need 30.

DAT and DLT are reliable long term storage media unlike cheapo cd-r or dvd-r which can detiorate surprisingly fast. A hard drive is nearer that quality than cheapo cd-r but cheaper ....up to 120Gb is good value.

M

komplett,you had a nec dvd-r with dvd+r for €300~ it was only up for a few hours was it a mistake or was it a link to your other sites??this was a few weeks ago

Just a mere comment for Komplett.
    I,d suggest trying to get ure hands on the new sony drive m8..
    Does dvdr- and dvdr+ which is what we all want really... also does cdr at 24x .. I am waiting for the ao5 to come out.. to see what specs it has etc .. Have ao3 and ao4 and have been very very happy with there performance so tryin to stick with the same brand for that reason ! Also saves havin 2 drives !

Also muck for this comment
    "DAT and DLT are reliable long term storage media unlike cheapo cd-r or dvd-r which can detiorate surprisingly fast."

Talking through ure hole m8... I,d like to come see my first ever bought cdrs.. also try the new verbatim datalifes.. the azos..
    Had some over 5 yrs and still going strong.. Keep them well and they wont let u down. Also have dvdrs maybe 1yr there going well.. Depends where ure storin sunlight temp magentic fields..

Appy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

i saw this thing in game ages ago where you could put a few gigs on a vhs tape it was only about £30 anyone know anthing about this???

Yep - Was made by a company called 'Danmere'

The Card was called 'Backer'

Came Internal ISA or External Parallel versions.
    In two flavours 1.5 gig or 4 gig.

Website is gone but here's Googles Cache of it.

http://www.google.ie/search?q=cache:CuaoJEVbpPEC:www.danmere.com/backer/intbacker.htm+Danmere+Backer&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

(you'll have to cut and paste, i can't link the url properly)
    edit - ignore that it works now b:rolleyes:

- Note Compustore (sandyford) still sell the 1.5 gig version.
    Look on the 'managers special' shelf.

The NEC DVD recorder was taken off the web as we didn’t receive a delivery date from NEC. We hope NEC launch this before Xmas but they are not able to give us any delivery date yet, so we have to wait.

When we have a confirmed delivery date to our warehouse it again be visible to you all and the price is very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by irishguy
    i saw this thing in game ages ago where you could put a few gigs on a vhs tape it was only about £30 anyone know anthing about this???

I actually bought it a few years back (before CD-R's were common). I only used it the odd time, it was a bit of a pain bringing up the VCR to the PC and hooking it up. It did work, however. Backer, I think it was called (or is that a grumpy doctor in an American sitcom?).

I think I still have it lying around somewhere. It is an ISA card, and requires a modified SCART cable (supplied with it). The software was relatively good, but I am not sure if I would rely on it for a business.

TD.

Advertisement