Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi-Fi range

Options
  • 27-10-2002 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

According to an article in “FT Weekend” entitled ‘Free ride on the net’ a group on the Canary Islands used Wi-Fi to transmit between Tenerife and Grand Canaria – a distance of 70.5kms. Is this a record?

I suppose everyone has noticed the new entrant in the wireless broadband market?

(http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/p20021021.aspx)

R.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moved to Wireless forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Richard Barry

Earlier today I posted the item below to a new topic within Irelandoffine at www.boards.ie to provide interested parties who might be contemplating using Wi-Fi to counteract the eircom/chorus/ntl consumer broadband monopoly with some encouraging info on the potential geographic range of the technology.

Within a few hours my posting was removed to another group by someone who thinks he knows better with editorial
    privileges on this website without prior reference.

It strikes me that this is akin to eircom and the media they and their associates control questioning “who needs broadband in Ireland?”. They too appear to think they know better.

The context (topic etc) in which people post is just as important as the content of the message. If someone posts to topic X they surely intend it to go there and not topic y, particularly not without their consent.

R

<Re-posting>

Wi-Fi range
    According to an article in “FT Weekend” entitled ‘Free ride on the net’ a group on the Canary Islands used Wi-Fi to transmit between Tenerife and Grand Canaria – a distance of 70.5kms. Is this a record?

I suppose everyone has noticed the new entrant in the wireless broadband market?

(http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/b.../p20021021.aspx)

R.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hi

I'm the person who
    thinks he knows better with editorial
    privileges on this website without prior reference

The posting seems to be doing two things:
    1. Asking whether the connection in the canaries is a record
    2. Mentioning Microsoft's entry into the wireless hardware market

Both have particular interest to participants in the wireless forum. They also have interest to people in the IOFFL forum, which is why a redirect was left there. With regard to the main thrust of the thread, asking a question, the question was far more likely to be answered in the wireless forum. Actually we move things like this to the Nets/Comms forum all the time.

I stand by the decision for the reasons above. It's not directly applicable to IrelandOffline, even if it does mention wireless. More to the point it's not directly applicable to IrelandOffline merely because it mentions wireless. There are quite a few people involved in community WAN groups who post on the IOFFL forum. Their ultimate aim coincides with one of IrelandOffline's aims.

I'd suggest that you take this up on the admin board if this is unsatisfactory. Mods don't regard themselves as gods or overlords, at least not in my house. It's just a simple job. I don't "think I know better" - at best I'm just a librarian sorting posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Some guys in Israel got over 100KM a few years ago. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

With LOS and enough power you could get as far as ya like... but u will fry everything that gets between the antena ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Richard Barry

Originally posted by sceptre
    Hi

I'm the person who

The posting seems to be doing two things:
    1. Asking whether the connection in the canaries is a record
    2. Mentioning Microsoft's entry into the wireless hardware market

Both have particular interest to participants in the wireless forum. They also have interest to people in the IOFFL forum, which is why a redirect was left there. With regard to the main thrust of the thread, asking a question, the question was far more likely to be answered in the wireless forum. Actually we move things like this to the Nets/Comms forum all the time.

I stand by the decision for the reasons above. It's not directly applicable to IrelandOffline, even if it does mention wireless. More to the point it's not directly applicable to IrelandOffline merely because it mentions wireless. There are quite a few people involved in community WAN groups who post on the IOFFL forum. Their ultimate aim coincides with one of IrelandOffline's aims.

I'd suggest that you take this up on the admin board if this is unsatisfactory. Mods don't regard themselves as gods or overlords, at least not in my house. It's just a simple job. I don't "think I know better" - at best I'm just a librarian sorting posts.

>>>It's just a simple job.
    >>>I don't "think I know better" - at best I'm just a librarian sorting posts.

Well then perhaps you should go work in a library tearing chapters out of one book and stuffing them into another? See how popular you would become with authors, publishers and book borrowers!

By all means copy postings to other forums (with the originators permission).

And feel free to delete something about rearing poodles (ie totally irrelevant) from a broadband interest zone.

If one posted something to a moderated usenet group, would the moderator feel entitled to dump the posting to some other group? I can’t ever recall seeing it happen in my experience.

I also wonder if you and the owners of boards.ie considered the breach of copyright law that is taking place by moving someone’s content to an area where they may not have intended it to appear, without their permission?

R.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Ahh come on and give up the fighting, or this stuff gets moved elsewhere (again, yes!).... :)

Brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Richard - you're better of askin this Q over at www.irishwan.org

Dizz

Advertisement