Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions of Newly Refurbished RedBox

• 27-10-2002 3:24pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been going to the redbox for nearly 5 years and I was one of the few people who loved it as much the first day as I did throughout the years... When it closed down for refurbishment I was very excited, as so many of my friends would no longer go there as of late they thought it was 'a dirty place' and just full of scumbags...

Despite all its flaws I still always managed to really enjoy myself almost every time (unaided by any druges whatsoever), and in a way I was sad that the old redbox was now gone, but confident of new and better things to come. I was hoping that in the refurbishment, they would clean it up a lot and bring it more into the times, and compete with 'real clubs' like Spirit etc, and cater for the changing trends in clubbing over the recent years. I was confident that John Renolds would never do anything half way, but that he would pull off somehing very special indeed...

Well, I was there last night for Carl Cox, and I have to say I was more than dissappointed. So much for bringing the redbox more into the times to compete with other clubs, it is now more of dark dirty warehouse than ever! A lot of people just said it barely changed at all, but as far as I can see it was stripped, raped if you will, of all of its past character.

It seems that money has been the number one priority, as they obviously just wanted to increase the amount of people they could squeeze in there by spending the minimum amount of money.

Everything has been constructed with steel 'I-Beams' and sheet metal. There's no notable addition of general artistic creativity at all! One of the reasons I like Spirit so much is because you are compelled to just sit back appreciate the overall amount of effort that was put into the club: the layout, the entertainment, the graphics... The Redbox was just a giant cop-out, and as far as i'm concerned a huge dissappointment.

So if anyone else has been there I'd like to hear if they agree with me, or maybe they think they have created somehting new and great... I'd be interested to hear your thoughts...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Aye was there friday night..

Quite disappointed with it personally.. obviously theres still a lot of work to be done there... (I mean the I-beams just had pieces of wood slotted between them upstairs as a rail) the bars are nice enough I guess and really the only thing that seemed even half-finished.

I kept tripping over the bloody steps as well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

A friend of mine was there last night, he said this..
    "

redbox is lookin good apart from the position of the dj box and could please not have that ledge that u fall off and the step that u trip over in the middle of the dancefloor
    get it sorted"
    "the step has no purpose

the ledge is a walkway out to the balcony

dangerous stuff altogether

"

Though don't forget, theres a phase 2 & 3 ain't there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

On Friday night, the place wasn't even finished. Fugazi were on over an hour late and didn't get to sound check because the place was packed with hundreds of builders. Even when the place opened, there were pieces of plastic tape stopping people falling off the balconies! And yeah, the steps are a law suit waiting to happen.

I'd never been to the Red Box before and now I know why.

Overall, the place reminded me of Man Friday's in Drogheda. And that's not a good thing - it's a bad thing.

Advertisement