Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Credit Card Size Driving Lienece for Ireland

• 27-10-2002 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to get a credit card size driving licence in Ireland, I think these are called european driving licences ?

These are easier to carry around than the bigger Irish one

Does anyone know if it possible to obtain one of these?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

As far as I know, the only license available in Ireland is the large one, which is a Standard European Model - if you look at the front of it, it says this.

Some countries are using a smaller credit-card sized license, but Ireland doesn't to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

All new UK driving licences are photocard style, but they also have a paper licence. and you're supposed to keep them together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by noog
    All new UK driving licences are photocard style, but they also have a paper licence. and you're supposed to keep them together.

not true.

i have an english and an irish driving licence.

the english one is a photo ID credit card style, and it does have a big paper brother which you are suppose to keep safe and send in every time you move/get points/get arrested etc for endorsments :)

have to admit, the credit card style is a lot easier as you just slip it in your wallet, and you dont get big dirty lines all over it and it doesnt get mushed up in the rain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by tech
    Is it possible to get a credit card size driving licence in Ireland,

No, it isn't.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Not sure about the validity of this, but they were talking about this on tv3 this morning, saying that seamus brennan was bringing them out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭BabyEater

From the Indo:
    New credit card-style driving licences to be introduced from January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

A credit card sized licence is a good idea. Far easier to carry around.

Hopefully they make them harder to forge than the good o'l national age card. Otherwise we'll be down to passports as ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Are they like the garda identities that you could get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 blindboy

I nearly sure that you can get them now. But you have to hand in your big license for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭100gSoma

sorry to dig up the past. Just wondering is there nay sign of these ever coming? The large one is a total pain to carry around everytime you drive. Normally just leave it in the primary car which means I often don't have it.
    I don't think the current large license needs to be phased out until 2032!!!!

In fact, what do people use for "photo ID" that is available in credit card size (apart from an age card).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Holy thread revival Batman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

you know what this will mean... get pulled in for speeding or talking on the phone etc, hand over card, swipe points on to card memory, letter gets sent to your insurance company and fine gets sent to your registered address ;)

edit: just saw the date on the thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

It is expected the new EU driving licence will come into effect by 2012 and the driving licences issued by each member state will be phased out by 2032.

As for ID, you can use age card or student card. I keep my driving license folded in my wallet and its still in good knick.

2012, only 10 years after this thread was started :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

100gSoma wrote: »
    sorry to dig up the past.

Jaysus, if you're going to dig up an old thread about it, why not the one from last month:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055627060

basically:

There's a plan for new EU wide driver licences (credit card sized) to be issued in all member states in 2012. States have until 2032 to replace all current national licences.

Applying for an age card at 30 will be quite comical. The reason I ask is that Dominos (yes the pizza magicians) required photo ID for me to collect my pizzas the other day. I ordered on the phone with VISA card, and they require you to produce the physical VISA card and a form of photo ID when the pizza is delivered to prove its all legit. hmmm... passports for pizzas.
    This thread was the first that came up when I searched for "credit card driving license ireland" but yeah, some serious thread revival there. :D:D

Hey phutyle, with regards to your quote below from the other thread... I think the format etc is already agreed and is used by Germany Austria Estonia Poland and many other EU countries. All EU countries have until 2012 to start issuing the licenses in this format according to the link, but the format itself is already 100% agreed see ehre http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/behavior/driving_licence_en.htm
    Ireland could start issuing them tomorrow if it was decided by the Licensing authority. Just wondernig are they even considering doing it before December 31st 2011.

phutyle wrote: »
    There's a plan for new EU wide driver licences to be issued in all member states in 2012. States have until 2032 to replace all current national licences. These EU licences will be credit card sized, so it wouldn't make much sense for us to introduce a new licence format, when the whole thing is changing soon anyway.

More info:

http://www.eubusiness.com/Transport/060327115956.g6esqpu4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Well, this is truely great news - a credit card size drivers licence.
    I'll find it very handy for scraping ice of the windscreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Ireland could start issuing them tomorrow if it was decided by the Licensing authority. Just wondering are they even considering doing it before December 31st 2011.

I'm not sure what the specific timeline is for Ireland.

A quick search on the Dept. of Transport site came up with this RSA strategy doc from 2007

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/9899-0.pdf

which says
    Plastic Card Driving Licence

The EU requires that member states introduce a system of plastic card licences by 2013 at the latest.
    Member states may introduce the plastic card licence in advance of this date and it is the intention of
    the RSA to do so. Work on this will be complete or substantially complete by the end of the life of this
    Strategy.

You could contact the Dept. or the RSA to see how this is going...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

My suspicious mind -- if they bring them in here, will they be chip & pin types? Next step, all cars to have card readers and will not start without the correct PIN entered. The readers will always display a sign saying "out of service" at the most inconvenient times. Only a matter of time before a politician thinks of it.:D

• Advertisement

phutyle wrote: »
    You could contact the Dept. or the RSA to see how this is going...

Good idea. I had mailed the Dept. yesterday but I will pop an email off to the RSA and update if I get a reply.

The chip is a good idea ART6 in the sense that you can store multiple language translations of the license and other useful information. I suppose people fear that it can be used for instant points issuing and big brother style card readers everywhere. Im not bothered once its easier to carry around :)

I got a reply form the RSA which said

"Thank you for your email- Yes we are about to start work on credit card
    style licence and have a target of it being in place by 2012. There are
    practical aspects of what goes on the card that hasn't been yet decided
    at EU level. In advance of this decision we can only do so much of the
    preparatory work; that journey is about to start.

Hope this is helpful"

Hmmm.... Some "practical aspects have not yet been decided at EU level"... I think thats not true. I replied with this.

I had thought that the 2006 EU
    directive http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2006:403:0018:0060:EN:PDF
    had already officially formalised the layout and content requirement
    of the licences. The Directive stipulates that Members States should
    adopt laws implementing the Directive no later than 19 January 2011.
    Those laws should take effect in all EU Members States on 19 January
    The directive defines the size, shape, and content and layout of the
    licences, and also stipulates the new driving categories etc.
    What practical aspects have not been decided/agreed at EU level yet?

I doubt I'll get an answer but I was just curious what the hold up is. I don't believe its on the EU side though. Will be very interested to know what has not been defined yet at EU level.

Hmmm.... Some "practical aspects have not yet been decided at EU level"... I think thats not true. I replied with this.

International penalty points!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

MarkR wrote: »
    Not sure about the validity of this, but they were talking about this on tv3 this morning, saying that seamus brennan was bringing them out...
    BabyEater wrote: »
    From the Indo:
    New credit card-style driving licences to be introduced from January.

Either way, fantastic work from Seamus Brennan (rip). Supposed to be out in jan 2003 and still no sign of them

reply from RSA

The Directive allows for a microchip to be put on the licence. The
    specification for a chip to be placed on the licence is not yet closed
    off. Its not mandatory to put a chip on the licence but there are
    advantages. Its important that whatever option is chosen its future-
    proofed as licences have a long shelf life and of course technology is
    advancing at a fast pace also.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭trackcar

I have got a digital tachograph drivers card, its need for vehicles fitted with tachograph's registered after the 1st of May 2006

it comes with your photo + its fitted with a chip which stores the reg of the vehicles you drive + length of time spent driving for about 28 days

its cost € 50 to get from the RSA in loughrea and is valid for 5 years

why cant they use these with a little modification to include the
    classes of vehicle you can drive printed onto it ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

I got a reply form the RSA which said

"Thank you for your email- Yes we are about to start work on credit card
    style licence and have a target of it being in place by 2012. There are
    practical aspects of what goes on the card that hasn't been yet decided
    at EU level. In advance of this decision we can only do so much of the
    preparatory work; that journey is about to start.

Hope this is helpful"

what they didnt say is they are currently putting out to tender for the public / private consultation a report that will will be put in front of a tribunal that needs to put a report before the rsa than needs to take into account that all men will have there licences revoked to end the killing of women on the roads which will be challenged in the low medium and high courts simultaneously before we have a referendum on the nice shiney voteing machines weve been storeing for the past 15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

trackcar wrote: »
    I have got a digital tachograph drivers card, its need for vehicles fitted with tachograph's registered after the 1st of May 2006

it comes with your photo + its fitted with a chip which stores the reg of the vehicles you drive + length of time spent driving for about 28 days

its cost € 50 to get from the RSA in loughrea and is valid for 5 years

why cant they use these with a little modification to include the
    classes of vehicle you can drive printed onto it ??

Seemingly the new tacho cards are made up in the UK.

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Seemingly the new tacho cards are made up in the UK.
    good lads... the tax payer funds the RSA, then they ship our money to the uk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

steve06 wrote: »
    good lads... the tax payer funds the RSA, then they ship our money to the uk!

So we have a knowledge based economy but can't make chip and pin cards.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭not14talk

I was going to start a thread about this until I came across this.

I still haven't got my full yet but I have my test at the end of the month and I was really hoping that they would have the credit card system in by now.

Imagine when this comes in. Get pulled over:

Garda: May I see your license please.
    Me: Nope, sent it in to get a new credit card one.
    Garda: ok, 10 days to produce at station.

10 days later in station:
    me: I was asked to produce license but I haven't got it back yet because of the backlog.
    Garda: OK I'll make a note.

6 months later:
    me: where's my license.
    RSA: sorry we must have lost your application.
    me: that's great, I just got a court summons for not producing my license because you have it.
    RSA: yea, sorry about that... better luck with your new application I suppose!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

sorry to dig up the past.
    WTF :confused::confused::confused:
    a seven year old thread FFS! That's like thread necrophilia dude!

Go easy on the history revival from now on!

I think this may as well be left open because of all the replies.

edit : alastrainor moved the latest posts here...
    Canadian Driving License

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement