Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom volume 1

Options
  • 27-10-2002 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Ger roe anounced on his show there is going to be a phantom compilation realesed on nov 1 anyone have the tracklisting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

finally this is gonna happen!! it better have alot of irish bands on it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

I'm intrigued......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

"wheres me jumper"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭horsekick

im tryin to remember the tracklisting, only remember bits of it, ill do my best,

blink182 - the rock show
    wannadies - big fan
    feeder - 7 days
    wilt - distortion
    therapy? - i am the money
    blink - magic indian
    the walls-to the bright and shining sun
    pj harvey - this is love
    death in vegas - aisha
    babelfish - sometimes
    the frames - lay me down
    massive attack - teardrop
    radiohead - climbing the walls
    jeff buckley - grace
    turn - summer song
    fun lovin criminals - scooby snacks
    cake - love you madly
    blur - end of a century

wow, im good!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

out this friday apparently though i havent heard the price...

• Advertisement

it will probably retail at just over 20squid. the cost price is around 12euro, so anywhere between 20 and 23 i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭AlisonC

It is true

Phantom Vol 1 is out on this friday Nov 1st
    we have copies up for grabs all this week
    as we should...
    alison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

this is feckin brilliant!

have to make it go to top of the charts! for reasons we are all aware of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

sounds good good good i can't wait to get this - and polarbelly don't be trying to pick me up grrrrrrrrrrrr hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Are we to take it that these are the most requested? Just curious as to how it was compiled.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by horsekick
    it will probably retail at just over 20squid. the cost price is around 12euro, so anywhere between 20 and 23 i guess

for a majority of overplayed songs that everyone already has?
    seems a wee bit steep in my opinion..

i only have 5 of the above songs on cd

and i only have 7 of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hello all,

Yay for Phantom Volume I at last! There will be full details on the website and on air in the coming days but horsekick has very kindly posted the tracklisting so there ye go! It will be available in all record shops hopefully and will be available to those outside Ireland via mail order too. Goes on sale this Friday, and it really would make us smile if ye all went out and bought it for your collections.

Think we all know at this stage that this is about more than a cd.

And if (I mean when) this one goes well, it will enable us to produce a series of them and have all sorts of fun and fights involving mud and crocodiles as to who gets on to them. But thank you all so far for your interest, and remember, they make a great present for any child for Christmas.

And sorry grumpy Kali about the price. Its standard price and not within our remit! And I know that I only have 6 of the tunes on it on CD so I will be buying it too. Go on, you know you want to!

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

damn right we do...

pete is it defo on sale that day cos if so, we should all go buy it on the friday and make sure it charts... at approx...no.1 or so... that'd rile them up, ah the laughter just thinkin bout it now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Pete Reed

And sorry grumpy Kali about the price. Its standard price and not within our remit!

I was a bit grump at the price too, not used to buying CD's in shops anymore and I rarely pay more than €14 for a CD on the net. But as it's Phantom, I think i'll cave :)
    I'm sure those whoores in Wicklow st will charge about €30 for it >O(

And I know that I only have 6 of the tunes on it on CD so I will be buying it too

Pete! You don't get a free one? What are the perks of working for Phantom if you don't get a free CD, poor you :(

if pete got it free it would ruin the whole point surely............

yeah everyone should buy it before wednesday night. compilations aren't that hard to chart, the actual compilation chart only needs a couple of hundered sales to get top 5. Hey pete?? is there any posters or anything doing the rounds, i know they're goin up around town, but i work in a music shop and im sure i could fire a few up for ya, ill be playin the cd all week anyway but a few posters might help ya out. email me adam@otranome.com and ill give you the address if you wanna send some out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

Tonight matthew i shall mostly be agreeing with Kali, not irked by the price because it is standard price for these things. I just think there's very little imagination in the tracklisting. Not impressed

I concur.... I mean there are very few quintessential phantom tunes on there....(see thread on phantom songs... ) but having said that i will definitely led my support if i have the money.:D Up the phantom!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

from looking through many compilation cds i think the phantom one looks very poor.

if you want a good compilation cd that CBGB;s punk one looks kick ass and that "teenage kicks " one......
    €23 for like 40 songs.......
    thats pretty good and they are mostly kick ass

well whatever.,...... i don't want to spend €20 on some compilation which does'nt merit the price.

go buy soul mining by THETHE its only 13.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hello there all,

Just to answer a few bits:

1. Yay for all the people who emailed, posted, phoned texted and otherwise about the compilation today. Means a lot to us.

2. Yes, definitely on sale on Friday, and yep, please do buy it in bulk over the weekend!

3. As for the track selection, you are never ever going to be able to please everyone. Its not like the Now collections or whatever where everybody just wants the same chart hits.

We selected a large number of tracks, a lot of which we couldnt get licenced, but think we have a darned good selection at the end of it. Remember, its a series, and the more successful Volume I is, the easier it will be to licence other tracks for Volume II. Can't win 'em all :-)

4. Yes, I got a free copy tonight at our staff meeting but I, and a load of other Phantom people will be buying copies anyway. Its for a good cause :-). Although, it doesnt have all my favourite songs on it so Im not impressed man.* Bless Ragamuffin, someday you will find happiness ;-)

5. Thanks Adam for the offer of help, will be in touch in the coming days. All help very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

* extracting the michael, no offence intended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

Oh shut up Raggamuffin!! :p:D:)

If you're going to get any compilation, you should get the new 20 Years of Dischord one.

Blink 182!?! :rolleyes:

Hmmm seeing as how its supposed to be volume 1... shouldnt it have gone back to songs from phantoms early days??? Just a thought....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Rob Taylor

Hi Everyone

I'm typing this listening to the compilation and it's sounding pretty damn cool. Ed, sorry to hear you think the tracklisting is unimaginative. As Pete pointed out, you can't please everyone and there was some stuff we couldn't get licenced, but I think we still ended up with a fantastic collection of songs. I think the CD reflects the spirit of Phantom really well. You've got Babelfish following Death In Vegas, Turn following Jeff Buckley, and it all fits together seamlessly. On the CD, as on the station, we make no distinction between internationally famous acts and Irish unsigned. A good song is a good song.

Again, please go out and buy it in your droves. I'm sure we'd all like nothing better than to see Phantom Vol. 1 beat Gareth Gates or even the mighty U2's Best Of to top of the Irish album charts. Wouldn't that be so cool? Give Bono concern to raise the eyebrow.

Let's do it!

Cheers

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I would like to add my two old pence worth,

We are all very proud of the album and certain Phantom crew members have worked very hard to get it out. It has been a complicated process but we have been lucky in that the good reputation of the station has ensured that the record industry has taken the project seriously. There are also some within the biz who said we could never do it.... but hey, we never listened to them before.

As Pete says, this is more than a collection of good tunes. It is our statement to the big boy stations and the powers that be - we are here for the long haul and we do what we say we will, within our limited resources. If the track listing doesn't particularly excite you, try looking at the bigger picture - the fact that we want to operate as a legit setup and this helps push our case.

If you have enjoyed our services over the past five years, give us a dig out on this one and let us show that we have a loyal audience which needs a legit station that can develop to the potential that we know Phantom has. Phantom is still a Pirate station looking for a chance to grow along with the industry that we have supported in our limited but effective capabilities.

You may have some of the tracks on other comps, but they don't have the Phantom FM logo on them, and whoever released them doesn't provide you with a decent radio station.

Thanks for your support - Let's shove it up their charts... so to speak.

Ger Roe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Full track listing, cover art work and how to buy it online now available at:

http://www.phantomfm.com/volume1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

as someone who's been listening to phantom pretty much since it started as phantom, its a little bit dissapointing as i would have loved to see some of the songs on it that i heard when i listened to the radio station starting out. BUT youre reasons on why that cannot be are good enough to shut me up. suffice it to say that i will be buying it and am very willing to show my support. I think gerrard roe says it all when he mentions the phantom fm logo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Achille

if I stick a copy down my trousers and run out of the shop skipping happily like the scarecrow in Alice in Wonderland, does it still count as a sale in the charts?

If so, I'll be more than happy to repeat this process in shops all over Dublin.

Oh, and there's no excuse for Blink182... none.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I already have 10 of the tracks already but ill probally still buy it. Ill just have to put off buying one or two other cd's I was thinking of buying and buy it in the first week to try and get it charted

Advertisement