Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bbc online article

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wormhole

"The internet has had a big social impact. People are staying in their own villages and towns and working from there," said Mr Ahern.

what a f**king liar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

It plans to roll high-speed net services out to 67 towns and villages in the next three years with another 127 being connected by 2007.

This would, said Minister Ahern, bring pretty much universal access, although he was not able to say what technologies would facilitate such a roll-out.

Hmm. Ireland has 127 villages.. or rather just a couple more than that. I always though it was a bit more myself. That's allowing under five towns/villages per county. Are we all amalgamating or something?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the next three years are 2003, 2004 and 2005. So that's 67 over these years. Then miraculously by 2007 (i.e. during 2006) 60 more.

Any maths teacher looking to give grinds to government ministers here by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

DUn NOW THAT IS funny LOL good one

regarding the rollout -- i seem to recall from geography class (supported by dept of ed) that irelad was justa little bigger BUT WHO AM I TO QUESTION A MINISTER!!!!

well the good news is he does appear to be committing..last week and now this week...now im not one to say we told you so...but if they had their finger out in '95 --well you know the story...

anyway mr Ahern, good for you..but remember

we are W A T C H I N G 00

delivery is everything...and remember your predessor the
    Minister 'im was having a bath' from across the shannon...yes the one that didnt get, dare i say it, re -e l e c t e d

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No mention of IOFFL, makes the goverment sound like they've been doing all the work
    ffs!
    BBC - Ireland ambitious for broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Broadband ambition here in E-tub !

Its a load of propaganda waffle..as we know totally opposite to whats happening on the ground.
    Somebody needs to tell the minister that he needs to get back into reality.
    This would, said Minister Ahern, bring pretty much universal access, although he was not able to say what technologies would facilitate such a roll-out.

ROFL.....minister is talking BS again.

its stinks of unlit fibre rings...yet *again*

Maybe the bbc should be properly informed of whats really going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Threads merged

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Maybe the bbc should be properly informed of whats really going on.

How about it IrelandOffline? The Beeb is a wee bit important.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

They were contacted earlier this morning.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It plans to roll high-speed net services out to 67 towns and villages in the next three years with another 127 being connected by 2007.

That would be ISDN then! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

More like the pony express.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

is it ok to complain about website content if it is inacurate

if so here goes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/feedback/content_form.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/feedback/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Good Man fcddunne ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

what upper piffle. dare he repeat that to an irish audience. surprised at the beeb who are normally good at checking information before publishing

on a different note, isn't it interesting to see someone from Enterprise, Trade and Employment getting involved in the broadband issue. perhaps its just another cork ff loudmouth, but maybe, just maybe its indicative of something bigger. harney and her department are usually good on timing, dropping sh1tty sticks even before the fumes rise and jumping on bandwagons even before they get their wheels. could this be a straw in the wind that there is real change on the way? seyz Mata, "Mike, get out there and make a bit of a statement, just in case those loosers in CMNR are on to something, I could do with a bit of reflected glory to bask in just at the moment"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Originally posted by dun_do_bheal

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the next three years are 2003, 2004 and 2005. So that's 67 over these years. Then miraculously by 2007 (i.e. during 2006) 60 more.

Isnt the plan of the last stage to roll it out to Dublin so maybe it would cover a larger number of area's in the space of a year ??

Does anyone even know if the fibre project has even started?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

utter waffle... heard it before from mary o rurke.. I wonder where she is now.. with all that eircom money she got she's probably on some caribbean island showing off her astoundingly attractive body :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

The government has high hopes and big ambitions for broadband, which has been very slow to take off in the country to date

Duuuh i wonder why !!!

READ we have no idea what technologies we will use cuz we aint going to do diddly we will simply sit back and hope someone else comes up with an idea.And besides in 2007 most of us will be retired and living in a far away land (sitting on a huge pile of cash,chuckles insanely)
    "Ireland was slow to start with and there have been lots of problems in telecommunications," admitted Mr Ahern.

READS yea we TD are slow the rest of the world have be talking about this internet thingy for years but we didnt think it had anything to do with Ireland even though we are one of the largest software exporters in the world and we also call ourselfs the E-hub of europe .As for the telecommunications company (singular)we had right hassle over that ever since we did the bolloix and sold off a nationaly owned company to the private sector boy did we feel like silly buggers when it ended up in the hands of a Businessman who guess what decided to make a pile of money out of the irish suckers oops i mean voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sax0000

Originally posted by drrnwbb
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2361691.stm

dw

If you ask me neither the people at the "BBC" who did that article nor gov.ie know what they are talking about when it comes to broadband!

sax0000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

IN OTHER WORDS.. THEY DONT HAVE ANY PLAN BEFORE OR BEYOND 2007 BY WHICH TIME THEY WILL NOT BE IN POWER AND IT WILL NOT BE THERE RESPONSIBILITY ANY LONGER.

WE HOPE SOMEONE ELSE WILL INTRODUCE BROAD BAND COS WE SURE AS HELL DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

Critics have questioned whether the government is being over-ambitious in its targets and whether consumers will actually take services up.

CRITICS HAVE RESPONDED BY TELLING THE GOVERNMENT TO TAKE BROADBAND SERIOUSLY AND DO SOMETING ABOUT IT COS THEY SURE AS HELL ARE NOT DISPITE REPEATATIVE MAILS FROM THE PUBLIC CALLING ON ALL DPTS CONCERNDED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE SITUTAION FOR THE PAST 6 YEARS.

"Ireland was slow to start with and there have been lots of problems in telecommunications,"

IRELAND HAS NEVER HAD FLAT RATE BECAUSE WE THE GOVERNMENT STUPIDLY SOLD A PUBLIC UTILITY PHONE COMPANY AND TURNED IT IN TO A PRIVATE MONOPOLY CALL EIRCOM WHICH REFUSES TO SUPPLY FLAT RATE OR AFFORDABLE BROADBAND TO THE IRISH PUBLIC AND WE CAN DO NOTHING ABOUT IT COS ITS A MAJOR SCREW UP.

admitted Mr Ahern.
    IM ADMITING NOTHING..

He is confident that the government can achieve its goal and believes that the future prosperity of the nation will depend on it.

IF SOMETHING DOESNT HAPPEN SOON WHERE SCREWED

"Historically young people have emigrated to the UK, US and all over the world. Now people have been coming back," he said.

I WOULD LIKE TO DIVERT YOUR ATTENTION SOMEWHERE ELSE AS THIS IS GETTING ALL TO EMBARASING!

"The net has kept communities alive and emigration is now a choice," he added.

WE HAVE BEEN GETTING ALOT OF FLAK FROM PEOPLE EMAILING US ABOUT THE PROBLEM AND WE REALY WANT IT TO GO AWAY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by fcddunne
    is it ok to complain about website content if it is inacurate

if so here goes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/feedback/content_form.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/feedback/

complaint pointing out the facts sent ! :D

Just a note to confirm that I was contacted by the BBC this afternoon, and they are working on a story. ;)

Thanks for all the mails you sent them, it certainly got their attention!

As soon as I get the URL you'll know it about it.

David

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Dangger
    I was contacted by the BBC

Big time or what! take a bow IOFFL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by Fungus
    Isnt the plan of the last stage to roll it out to Dublin so maybe it would cover a larger number of area's in the space of a year ??

Does anyone even know if the fibre project has even started?

As a native of Donegal, and having watched countless things peter out to the rest of the country from Dublin, you cannot convince me that Dublin will be last. Anyway, Dublin already has isdn & dsl (to a point - I know not all of it, but certainly a bit more than Donegal..).

If I'm wrong, you can smack me arse and call me Sally :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

David

Anybody wants to ask Michael Ahern himself for directions to this village?

Ahern, Michael, T.D. Cork East
    Minister of State for Enterprise Trade and Employment
    Phone: (021) 488 3592
    Fax: (021) 488 3436
    Email: michael.ahern @ oireachtas.irlgov.ie

Peter

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Just a note to confirm that I was contacted by the BBC this afternoon, and they are working on a story. ;)

As soon as I get the URL you'll know it about it.

David

You go gurl.... community powa... or something :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

new articile will be up real soon ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Jane Wakefield of the BBC has written the piece. It will be up on Monday.

*claps his hands with glee*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

hee hee ... with any bit of luck the papers will pick up on it ... I can see the headlines "BBC says that minister is talking $hite":D

Advertisement