Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why a Mac?

• 28-10-2002 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what influenced your decision to purchase a Macintosh? I personally perfer the OS features, and im glad MAC is getting back into mainstream computer gamging.Sensible replies please, no OS wars.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

1. Hardware.

My iBook was (and probably still is) the best built and best looking laptop going. It was also bizarrely cheaper than other intel sub-notebooks when I bought it a year ago. Apple hardware just rocks. Sure my machine is slower than other modern P3 notebooks but it's got the clearest brightest screen I've seen yet. The keyboard and trackpad just feel right. It has a built-in optical drive, wireless card, and all the ports I need.. Apple have a way of picking exactly what you really want and packaging it nicely.

It goes to sleep and wakes up in an instant and never gets confused unlike my old Dell Latitude which regularily had a fit if it woke up with different hardware than when it was put to sleep (ie I'd plugged out the mouse or swapped an optical drive for a battery). Volume and brightness controls are integrated with the OS. It has a very impressive battery life compared to the opposition.

2. OS.

MacOS X is nearly perfect. It needs performance improvements and IE sucks but apart from that it's exactly what I want. I nice front-end that runs commercial applications from Adobe, Microsoft and the like coupled with a BSD back-end for my development work. My little iBook has Apache, Mysql, Zope, Tomcat, JBoss, and a heap of general unix stuff from an X server to ghostscript to gpg installed. I'm a very happy camper with this OS, the only other one that comes close is Linux - which loses out on the commercial application side of things but has the upper hand in terms of performance.

3. 'Vision'. :)

I just like the way Apple are going. I love iCal, iTunes, iPod .. the way things fit together and work simply.. they're really trying to move forward one little fun application or piece of hardware at a time.

On the down-side though they're getting creamed in terms of performance, IE is a joke, there's still a huge gap between what formats play on Mac as opposed to PC (I still have terrible trouble with certain windows movie formats, neither Quicktime or Windows Media Player for mac seem to work), and the mac will *never* be a viable games platform.

For now though I'm happy with my slow, no-games iBook and Chimaera 0.5. :) My next machine, though, will be a intel desktop for games in Windows and work in Linux when DSL finally comes out.

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭endanagle

would be along the same lines as dr_teeth...

i started out on pc in 1994 and then really came across macs in about 96... havent looked back since! i love the design of all machines and just the way they always seem to get things just right...

well ok... the ibook should have had a biggers screen on day one but its ok too - the second edition has a 14" screen! the quality of the comp is great and with osx there's nevre any chrashes etc anymore which is just smashing!

another big reason for macs is graphics... i do a lot of design work and just messing with graphics etc & you just dont get the same quality on a pc. the only thing im waiting for now for the mac is to get all the apps i use onto osx and im happy :)

Advertisement