Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fps problems

• 28-10-2002 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

so yeah I'm having trouble the fps on my comp when i play games(CS). I was playing today and then the cop kept dropping the fps to 4 and then back to 15fps for a bit. I have Dell dimension 4200, pentium 4, Nvidia GeForce 2 grapics card, and i installed the detonaters drivers, but i still get really crappy fps. Can anybody tell me why this is and how to fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

What version of the dets do u have?
    Have you turned off vsync?
    Do you have aa on?

What os aswell?

Also what res you got it at ingame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

thats ridiculously low..
    as said check anti-aliasing.. turn it off.
    sounds like theres some crazy process running in the background though, so that'd be the first thing to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by PPC
    What version of the dets do u have?
    Have you turned off vsync?
    Do you have aa on?

What os aswell?

Also what res you got it at ingame?

I think its a farely new version, i downloaded if off a friend about 2weeks ago. v-sync and anti-aliasing? I just heard about them but don't know where they r or how to turn them off. Where r they? R they somewhere in the options for CS? I'm running windows XP home edition on my comp. I think i had the game running at 800x600, maybe more, but i think it was that.

Originally posted by Kali
    thats ridiculously low..
    as said check anti-aliasing.. turn it off.
    sounds like theres some crazy process running in the background though, so that'd be the first thing to look at.

yeah i know it is!! Its really annoying!! Well the only programs i have running when i'm playing, r the all seeing eye yoke, AIM and MSN messengers and thats it. In the earlier part of the day it was going alright, 25-30fps, and that what i normally get. Don't seem to get much more than that. But as i said it keeps jumping down to 15fps and then 4fps. So if ye could tell me where the v-sync and anti-aliasing things r, and how to turn them off, i could see if that was the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Just do a quick check in the taskmanager/processes to make sure that nothing else is running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by suppafly
    So if ye could tell me where the v-sync and anti-aliasing things r, and how to turn them off, i could see if that was the problem.

Control Panel -> Display -> Settings -> Advanced -> NVIDIA Tab

should be in there...

• Advertisement

Aright so i'll try that tonight, and see if it works, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

humm...simple problem but: make sure in the HL settings your using OpenGL and not Software. If you run it on software you get like a crappy 10fps or somefin .. i get 100fps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

ive a gf2mx 200 here, i dont play cs but i can get 76fps in quake3.

Get the 23.11 det drivers,

As already said turn off AA etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

those det's are v.fast and v.unstable :eek:

so i turned off anti - aliasing. Couldn't find v-sync! And i changed the thing in CS to OpenGL. I get 60 Fps now. Any other way of boosting that? Also how do u know if the dets r installed properly. Cuz it said u should have your comps anti-virus software disabled when ur installing it and I'm not sure if it was disabled! thanks for the help lads. Much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

in your cs config, set fps_max and fps_modem to 100.
    set colour quality (display props. -> settings) to 16.
    get the 23.11 detonator drivers - www.nvidia.com or just google 23.11 .
    V-sync is beside where anti-aliasing is under the 'open GL' heading.
    you should be ok there, but if you want more fps , in your config set r_drawviewmodel 0 - this takes away the gun models, takes a while ot get used to but way better.

Advertisement