Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€ircom propaganda at Ideal Homes Exhibition

• 28-10-2002 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

I have just returned from it too and I cannot beleive that ye all missed a perfect oppertunaty to voice your opinion on / about Eircon. I had great fun @ the Eircon display. After all the information that I gathered here I actually felt like a 'GOD' dealing with these people. Talk about not knowing their Ar*e from their Face. I was given a full demo on I-Stream and told all the ben's etc. But when I went into costing / line rental / speeds / fraisco / etc etc etc. I totally lost them. (lucky I had most of it written down :)) I cannot beleive even at this stage Eircon are still pushing how good ISDN is and how excellent I-Stream is. I now fully beleive they employ people to be DRONES and train them to know about nothing else only the sh1t that they want to spill on us. Even got a free RAT which is now stapled to my desk for fear of him corrupting my computer into dealing with Eircon again :rolleyes:

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Krouc

*Fiction*

And Sign up today and you could be our 10th customer. Our 10th Customer will be billed twice for the access and then charged 3cents a BIT and 50cents every for ever BIT over 3 MB's. Great value and yesterdays technology - The future is here.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Yes I was initially thinking it was a shame to have missed it but on reflection the people at those stands as was said probably know next to nothing in the grand scheme of things. You can be sure that the decision makers at €ircon are nowhere to be seen just in case they are hit with some awkward questions (i.e. why do you continually inhibit internet growth in Ireland by your pig headed arrogance,greed and intransigence?, well, errrrr, no interest errrrrrr, cough, I have to go).
    Everytime I look at the I-scream price it shocks me just how bad it is here and I really pine to be somewhere else that offers a decent fast service right now, not a 256k service "by christmas" which is still more expensive than a fully fledged DSL connection 100 miles away in England.
    In the six years I have been using the internet it has evolved into something larger and more important than many people may have realised it would and will, no doubt, continue to do so. It irritates me that one short sighted, monopolisitc , greedy telco restricts it so much. It doesnt surprise me though since the internet is the only thing that has evolved and as consequence the highest form of life seems to be a giant rat. Pitty Darwin isn't still alive, I'm sure he'd be interested.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I took my chance on Sunday to voice my opinion with those basta$ds. I stood there for about 5 mins while they spouted on about how this 'amazing new' technology (ADSL) was 'going' to change the way we viewed the internet forever. I then pointed out that ADSL was not a 'new' technology and that ADSL was being used in nearly every country for years. They then said it was a new technology in Ireland. I asked them why it was priced so badly and they tried to assure me that the price was in line with European Averages. I told them it was at least 3 times the European Average and that it was a joke of a service that was available to only a handful of people. Yer man just looked at me for a sec(probably thought, IoffL you bast$rds) and went on to try and tell me about ISDN. I stopped him in his tracks and told him to not even bother trying to sell me that outdated useless technology. I really irritated him. Needless to say he just fobbed me off at that stage as he had no answer to any of my questions. I was also sooooooo close to giving that bloody Rat a beating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

LFCFan brings up an interesting possibility for IrelandOffline members (although maybe not IrelandOffline directly): Culture jamming. Every time Eircom goes to a trade show, a few members go and make sure the Eircom reps stay on the straight and narrow. Every time they give a presentation, we go and ask embarassing questions afterwards. Every time they appear on the radio, we ring in. Every time they get a piece in the paper, we write in.

All of this can be done cleanly and clearly, with no violence or messing, just jamming. So, to extend on LFCFan's example, a few IrelandOffline members would stand around and wait for prospective Eircom customers to approach the reps, and when the Eircom rep started spouting, the IrelandOffline member would interrupt and say: "Sorry sir, that's not true". Politely, inoffensively.

I know it's been done before, even by IrelandOffline, but I'm talking about a concerted, extended campign. I doubt IrelandOffline would want to get involved, but I'd happily host resources, help direct campaigns, write stock responses and the like.

So, comments?

adam

dahamsta...couldn't have put it better myself. While I was talking with the rep at the show there were a few people around me listning and by the time I was finished they were asking the same sort of questions. The vast majority of people really have no clue whatsoever of the way €ircon are riding us. But, when they do realise they are very interested to know just how they are getting ridden. I think the wool is finally starting to get pulled back from in front of the Irish Publics eyes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

you were sucking .....diesel there.

The Ideal homes will now perambulate around the country and the €ircon muppets will give the same :D speech bout this amaaaaaazing DSL schtuff to the bumpkins outside of Dublin.

Question1 Where is this DSL schtuff available NOW?
    A1 Dublin only.

Question2 I live in Ballywherever. When can I get it
    A2 Probably Never, anyway €ircon will not have it outside Dublin b4 summer 2003

Question3 WHY are you down here telling us about something we can't get
    A3 ehm uhm ehhmmmm uhhhhmmmmmm

Repeat at every Ideal Homes especially when there is a crowd there listening.

Also ask the €ircon droids about the 11% increase in Internet charges in October 2002 when the 10% circle of friends discount was removed from everybody in Ireland on or around the 12th but it will be applied to teh entire bill.....wait till y'all get your next bill now and make sure you wave it at the €ircon droids asking them where's me discount and why did you not tell me u were removing it when yiz sent me last bill to me?????

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Muck
    The Ideal homes will now perambulate around the country and the €ircon muppets will give the same :D speech bout this amaaaaaazing DSL schtuff to the bumpkins outside of Dublin.

Hmmm 20 years since me mammy took me to the ideal homes to see the super dooper carrot graters and the automatic nut grinders :eek:

Maybe I should mosey along ............. :D

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Hmmm 20 years since me mammy took me to the ideal homes to see the super dooper carrot graters and the automatic nut grinders :eek:

Maybe I should mosey along ............. :D

To be honest, not much has changed. They build a house inside now though which is very nicely decorated but of feck all use to the average Joe Soap. Hundreds of stands selling gadgets, sheds, cleaning stuff etc. The PC Live area is fairly useless for anyone who knows anything about computers. It's really for the total amateurs. I really would have loved to jump that effin €ircon Rat though, but my Girlfriend talked me out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by daveirl

After about 2 minutes the Eircom rep at the stand noticed and walked over. Of course he had never seen IE in full screen and couldn't figure out how to minimise it! So I watched until eventually he decided to reset the computer.

Thats bloody classic :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Of course he had never seen IE in full screen and couldn't figure out how to minimise it!

You could have mouthed 'F' and held up two fingers?

That was a gem by the way, well done.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dahamsta

Now that's a gem:D

Great idea dahamsta, nice one LFC. As with the various complaints sent into the ASAI over the past few months, it's not a terrorist propaganda attack on Eircom, it's just setting the record straight wherever and whwnever they try to mislead or lie to the public.

So is there a list somewhere of where and when the Ideal Homes exibition is on?

(haven't been to one since I was about 8 - parents would just bundle us into the kiddie section showing Muppet movies so we wouldn't scream too much at them)

Originally posted by sceptre
    ....various complaints sent into the ASAI over the past few months, it's not a terrorist propaganda attack on Eircom, it's just setting the record straight wherever and whwnever they try to mislead or lie to the public.

Ah yes, I laughed out loud last night. I spyed on the front cover of a newspaper, the altered ad for eircom 'hi-speed'. Now there's so much small print on the ad, that the small print actually sticks out like a sore thumb :D. They might as well just come up with a whole new campaign....It's little things like that, that remind me of the good influence IOFFL have.

Plyd daveirl, I would have loved to see that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Originally posted by LFCFan
    I took my chance on Sunday to voice my opinion with those basta$ds. I stood there for about 5 mins while they spouted on about how this 'amazing new' technology (ADSL) was 'going' to change the way we viewed the internet forever. I then pointed out that ADSL was not a 'new' technology and that ADSL was being used in nearly every country for years. They then said it was a new technology in Ireland. I asked them why it was priced so badly and they tried to assure me that the price was in line with European Averages. I told them it was at least 3 times the European Average and that it was a joke of a service that was available to only a handful of people. Yer man just looked at me for a sec(probably thought, IoffL you bast$rds) and went on to try and tell me about ISDN. I stopped him in his tracks and told him to not even bother trying to sell me that outdated useless technology. I really irritated him. Needless to say he just fobbed me off at that stage as he had no answer to any of my questions. I was also sooooooo close to giving that bloody Rat a beating.
    Brilliant. Reminds me of Chasing Amy when banky keeps interupting the speaker at the book convention. Bet the eircom drone wanted to pull a gun on you too:D :D
    Originally posted by daveirl & Adam
    Of course he had never seen IE in full screen and couldn't figure out how to minimise it!
    That was a gem by the way, well done.
    adam
    ROFLMAO:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

heheh nice work :)

Tho me sees a Real Ioffl forming with intentions of punishemnt beatings on the rat :)

Take pics if ya get him.

Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

apparently the rat has been permanently dropped from €ircon's propaganda.

maybe they should replace it with a weasel!

good job with the F11 thing btw. maybe next time we can get a group effort going and combine it with a bit of policy editing to stop them changing it back. :D