Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speedtrap questions

Options
  • 28-10-2002 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭

Let's say you're caught speeding by a manned Garda speedtrap (using laser or radar probably) Do they always physically stop you and inform you of the offence immediately - or can they just record your registration and send notification in the post later? Does it depend on the severity of the offence i.e notification by post for minor speeding, immediate stopping for serious speeding? Is there different treatment if you're caught by a stationary speedtrap or a moving marked/unmarked car?

Thx,
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I presume (and I say presume cos I've never been caught speeding) that it would depend on how much youre breaking the limit by. For example if youre doing 40 in a 50 zone I think they just post u a fine.

However if youre tearing along at 100mph in a 30 zone I'd think they'd chase and stop you to avoid other motorists/pedestrians being hurt or killed.

Again this is guesswork so I'm open to correction. I think its what they do in other countries so I'd imagine its whats done here too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Originally posted by rymus
    I presume (and I say presume cos I've never been caught speeding) that it would depend on how much youre breaking the limit by. For example if youre doing 40 in a 50 zone I think they just post u a fine.

I never knew they stopped you for going under the speed limit these days, gettign stopped doing 40 in a 50 zone is a bit harsh dont you think :).

As for if they pull you over or not it all depends really. The one time I got a speeding ticket was via the post and was caught by a gatso van doing about 50 in a 30 zone. About a week ago I was tipping along, on the same road as I got cuaght on before, doing about 45 when I saw the day glow jackets of doom. So I slow down and next thing the one of the guards is flagging down cars and I was sure I was caught again, but he was only flagging down the car behind me which I had passed out!!! So the answer to your question is "I dont know" :)

kayos

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

According to a friend of mine(A garda)If you are caught by a Garda on a bike,speeding-They will always stop you,reason being that the portable speed detector used by bike cops cannot record a registration.Usually they stop you and give you the ticket on the spot.
    Gatso vans and fixed gatso cameras take a picture of your registration thereby enabling you to get a ticket via the postal service.
    So if you are doing 60 in a 30 mile an hour zone and its a bike cop who has 3 other cars stopped and DOESNT stop you then assume you are ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

If they've set-up a proper speed trap its usually two gardai on the road and one with a camera... they'll always flag you down (twice i've been done that way :) )
    If its just a Garda on his own without a camera at the side of the road (car/bike/whatever) then they'll only really bother if someones going relatively quicker than other cars on the road.
    Gatso vans obviously won't... they're there to surprise you and just take pictures of speeding cars automatically (as a normal gatso does) and are then sent off for processing of fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by kayos
    I never knew they stopped you for going under the speed limit these days, gettign stopped doing 40 in a 50 zone is a bit harsh dont you think :).

ahhh D'oh! course I meant to write 50 in a 40mph zone... maybe before I post again I'll make sure I'm concious :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

So what sort of vans do they use?

I often see a white renault traffic parked in gateways on the cahir-mitchelstown road, and have often wondered about it.

never got a ticke tho, but then again I do so much drivin I don't actually do that much speeding anymore, olde novelty has worn off........

John

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

My brother was caught doin 84 in a 40 and got the fine via post!
    I was caught doin 85 in a 60 and got an on the spot fine!!
    So i think its just down to the mood of the Garda whether they chase you or not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by rymus
    However if youre tearing along at 100mph in a 30 zone I'd think they'd chase and stop you to avoid other motorists/pedestrians being hurt or killed.
    Originally posted by ShayK1rymus
    So i think its just down to the mood of the Garda whether they chase you or not!!
    They are unlikely to chase any speeders (unless the patrol itself is moving at the time of the offence. They **may** chase a dangerous / careless driver. They will **not** "chase" joyriders (they are more likely to "herd" it into a trap).

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Originally posted by JohnBoy
    So what sort of vans do they use?

http://www.speedtraps.ie.nu/gatso.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by ShayK1
    My brother was caught doin 84 in a 40 and got the fine via post!

Christ Jesus almighty.

Admittedly I once made a mad dash for Cork airport (after finding myself 12 miles out the Youghal road) to make the airport and checkin in 13 minutes, involving a rather dangerous trip along the dual carriageway and through the new tunnel but I wasn't going 84 in a 40. I'd have him strung up.

• Advertisement

hey was late for work !!!
    His job...............GARDA!!!
    :(

crap i meant "he" not "hey"!!!
    Doh!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Jester

what about 114mph in a 30mph zone :S not that ive ever done that of course :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Jester

IF most of use lads drive like the beejaysus ;) then u should think about investing in a radar/laser detector. Well worth the money, they work too if you know how to interpret the indications it gives out. Saved my bacon on numerous occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Thanks for the replies.

I would distinguish between "chasing" and "stopping" though. Many speedtraps are located on long straights on national routes, one of the reasons being that it's far easier and safer for the gardai to stop people in these situations. Remember that laser guns have a very long range, you could come around a bend onto a long straight and be immediately nabbed by cops located at the far end of the straight, well before you even notice them. The first you know of it is when you see a garda directing you to pull over for an on the spot fine. Most drivers will stop when directed by a garda, so no need to chase them.

And in situations where the speedtrap isn't located on a long straight you may find one garda unit checking speeds and a second unit some distance up the road pulling speeders over (presumably the two units are in radio contact)

Doe anyone know for sure if they *always* stop (or attempt to stop) speeders if it's a *manned* checkpoint. If you pass a manned checkpoint and they take no action can you get a fine in the post? Can anyone confirm this - seems to be some conflicting information in this thread.

Brian

Advertisement