Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xp installation problems

• 28-10-2002 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

Having loads of fun all day trying to install XP! :mad:

New athlon 2000xp and mobo and memory (256mb ddr)

HD fdisked and fully formatted. During copying of files error message sated that the following files could not be copied (why?)

sv-262e1.png
    sv-262e3.png
    sv-262e4.png
    cyclom-y.inf
    cyclad-y.inf
    and about 5 .wav files which didn't worry me too much

Then the install would continue until the pc shut down and tried to configure the install, when I got:
    "Fatal Error. One of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed."

"Untranslatable message, win32lasterror is 14001"

Are the missing files to blame? I installed this xp disk over win98 previously and it only came up with one file which could not be installed, which I was assured was only a backwards compatability file that I would not need anyway. Why so many problem files with a clean install?

Anybody any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Is the cd scratched or dirty?
    is it an origional MS cd or is it a copy

if it mentions CRC in the error then its likley the cd is damaged beyond recovery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

The cd is a copy (sshh!)
    Installation will allow me to skip the bad/missing files but once the install restarts the pc and tries to configure itself I get the Win32 lasterror is 14001 message

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭lynchie

There was a problem with burning a backup of Win XP using Nero. It may happen with other burning software but im not too sure. The problem occurs if the cd is burned using TAO(Track at Once) instead of DAO (Disc At Once). For some reason if it is burned using TAO, some of the xml files that XP uses when installing components are not burned correctly resulting in the installation failing. Find out what files it is complaining about and see if you can copy them to the HDD. Try installing with the original CD and see if you get the same problem!

Advertisement