Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I install Outlook Express?

• 28-10-2002 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

I installed Win98SE about a year ago and recently noticed that I don't seem to have Outlook Express installed on my computer. I tried installing it from the Win98SE CD but it doesn't give me the option to install anything related to Outlook Express. I'm using IE6 also.

Can anyone tell me how I'd go about installing Outlook Express onto my system, thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Leigs

You can download it from www.microsoft.com

It does take quiet some time though!!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Reinstall IE6 and it will reinstall OE6.

Just get an eircom or iol cd and browse the contents and install from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Ok, Outlook Express is not listed in the "Add/Remove Programs" menu and although there's a folder in the my Programs directory it only contains 8 .dll files.
    When I tried to re-install IE6, there was no option to re-install Outlook Express. I must have a cut-down version of the installation program. I got it off a games magazine's CD a few months ago.

Anyways, I tried to install Outlook Express 5 through an IE5 installation program but it said that I couldn't install OE5 because I had an updated version of it! Any ideas?

Ah crap :(
    I installed IE5, no luck. Re-installed IE6, no luck. And now my windows explorer is making that hideous 'click' sound whenever I open a folder! All I want is Outlook Express, is that too much to ask? :(

On a side note, does anyone know how to disable that 'click' sound? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hmmm, odd. I reinstalled 98SE on a laptop earlier to have a nice treble boot for 98/XP/RH8 and deselected the "outlook express" option. It's still there as an option in my add/remove programs. Surprised it's not in yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

When you were reinstalling IE6, did you go into the install minimal option? If you didn't, just go into that and untick everything except OE and see if it installs that way.

On the off chance that it is installed in another directory try going to start - run and type msimn or else do a search on the disk for msimn.exe.

Searched for that msimn.exe but no luck.

I tried to untick everything and just leave OE ticked but it's automatically in bold writing, not allowing me to touch it at all. As far as the installation software is concerned, I've got the most up-to-date version of OE installed and it see's no reason to install over it. I've looked everywhere but I can't find it on my system.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

means that the IESETUP.EXE program you launched is trying to install an older version of OE that whatever you have

get the IE6 Service Pack 1 Installer (all 500k of it) at

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.asp?

Hint! Its in the top 10

Only install OE as per your previous attempt so you have IE5 or 6.0 and OE6.1 the latest version

M

Advertisement