Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chieftec PSU's

Options
  • 28-10-2002 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭

My chieftec psu that came with my dragon died last week, so i put my old codegen in and it worked grand even with the dodgy rails (-12 @ -12.61 :eek: )
    Got me new case and the same dragon psu and it died with in 1 day. Codegen back in and its working grand.

Anyone have any ideas on it?
    Capacitors are blown in both psu's.

Sending back during the week to Komplett btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Only thing i can figure out from that is that chieftec make bad psu's . Have you a very powerful computer that would have put too much stress on a weak psu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by BabyEater
    Only thing i can figure out from that is that chieftec make bad psu's . Have you a very powerful computer that would have put too much stress on a weak psu.

Yeah i think the extra h/d did it, 5 h/ds and 2 cd's are kinda over kill for a 360w.
    Must get a 450w i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by PPC
    Yeah i think the extra h/d did it, 5 h/ds and 2 cd's are kinda over kill for a 360w.
    Must get a 450w i think.

yea...quite possibily you had too much strain on that little 360w... Id hate to be paying your ESB bills ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

the chieftec PSU, i got with my matrix case is horribly underpowered for my P4, wasnt getting any where near the +12 line.

Was resulting in the PC flicking on/off

I put it down to the hungry p4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yeah I had problems with a chieftec 360w and a p4 months ago. With only one drive in the machine, and a northwood 2 gig @ 2 gig, the 12v line dipped unacceptably. ( 11.4 or so ). Adding extra drives and overclocking the machine drove it much further down, so I had to replace the psu with an enermax. Hopefully chieftec will fix their line of psu's soon.

• Advertisement

Yeah im looking at that 550w Qtec psu on komplett.
    Its ment to be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Let me know how you get on with it PPC, especially noise wise.

Anyone advise me on what Wattage PSU I should get for my PIII, I'll have 4 hds, a zipdrive, dvd drive, cdrw hanging off it. Anyone recommend a brand or model no. for my requirements, I'd like a quiet one too. :)

p3 draws very little power, hence there is no need for anything over a 300w. Since you are buying a psu by itself you won't be offered a chieftec psu. I would stay away from codegen, but other people here seem to have good experiences with them, so maybe they are worth a shot. You do not need so splash out on an enermax or antec 400w+ psu. My p3 600@900 is running fine on a seasonic 300w from peats, seems like a well put together psu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

here's a really interesting piece on power supplies:

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/02q4/021021/index.html

love the title "inadequate and deceptible product labeling"

i also saw another article on dodgy capacitors, it seems the only country able to build decent caps is japan:

http://www.niccomp.com/taiwanlowesr.htm

leaked or burnt capacitors is what they're talking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I dont think they make bad psu's. My one works fine, a little noisy but it works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Blew my Cheiftec 360watt PSU (My own Dumb Fault) and bought an airtec/cheiftec 420watt psu for EUR90. Dual Fans and its nice and quiet.

Only noise maker now is the p4 fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭mackanz

From what i have seen and noticed, Antec/Chieftec makes wonderful psu´s. My first was a Enermax and that was terrible for me with my amd rig. The +5 V was hovering between 4.7-4.85 all the time and the 12V was always below 12.

I now use the Antec 412 (400W) and i absolutley love it.
    It has variable resistors built in so if your lines are a tad low, you can easily raise them.

What you should looking for is as high amp rating at +5 and 12V as possible, The Antec 412 is a good mesurement of that. Anything close to that is really good.

About PPC, your 2 psu´s must be from the same batch or so. A psu dont just die, if it is overloaded, you´ll see instability when booting up, playing and all that. It just dont dies.

Mac

i'm going to get a Qtec and try it, tis only €65 so its not too bad.
    Macroman said its a good psu and so did neoseekers.

Can you have a look at the specs and the ratings on the 5V and the 12 line? Look at max amps on each of those lines.

Good Luck!

Mac

here tbh

ATM Voltages: (Core 0: 1.87V, Core 1: 2.52V, +3.3: 3.26V, +5.00: 4.8V, +12.00: 12.4V, -12.00: -12.61V, -5.00: -5.16V)

Good aul Codegen 350w.

Right got me 550w for €60 :D

Voltages: (Core 0: 1.87V, Core 1: 2.5V, +3.3: 3.39V, +5.00: 4.96V, +12.00: 12.14V, -12.00: -11.46V, -5.00: -5.11V)

Aint too bad. Compared the ones above :)

Thats great voltages!

But, dont know if you are overclocking, but when you up the vcore a lot, the +5V drops considerably, at least for me, thats why i need more amps on the lines.

As for the 12V, every fan, hardddsrives, cdroms, floppys etc. uses 12V, so if you have a loaded pc, amps is needed.

Cheers!

Mac

Yip voltage up on the cpu.
    Got 5x h/ds
    2x cd's
    5x case fans
    1x 80mm Delta
    2x psu fans
    f/d
    usb mouse
    usb VFD
    3x cathodes
    and a gpu cooler :)

so tis a fair amount.

Lord!

Thats a noisy one!

WHat is the board and cpu?

Its a soyo dragon plus and an XP1900 at 2100 or sometimes 2200.
    2x 512Mb ddr ram too
    Geforce 3
    10Mb PCI Hub
    ISDN Card.

Thats all i can think of thats in it :)

• Advertisement

Nice setup!

What is the max vcore on that board? 1.80 or?

Have you tried that and see how far you can run your cpu?
    My 1600 needs 2.05V to go to XP 2400 speeds (2ghz).

Mac

Thats a good overclock on yer 1900 PPC mine would only get to 2000 on air and 1.74Ghz @ 1.85V on water . Its all me board will allow.Temps were still low at that so if i could up the voltage more i would get more out of it.

My current setup atm
    CPU Info: (1-AMD XP, 1739MHz, 256KB (0% Load) 39°C
    Voltages: (Core 0: 1.87V, Core 1: 2.52V, +3.3: 3.37V, +5.00: 4.96V, +12.00: 12.21V, -12.00: -11.54V, -5.00: -5.21V)

I also added a GF4Ti4200 to my system today \o/

Cause of windows crappy protect the hardware failsafe i can only get this stable at that speed.

I can get 1.8 in SuSE no bother.

Thats a good overclock on yer 1900 PPC mine would only get to 2000 on air and 1.74Ghz @ 1.85V on water . Its all me board will allow.Temps were still low at that so if i could up the voltage more i would get more out of it.

What board do you have?

If it is a KT266 or KT333 i might know how to voltmod the board like i have. At max onboard volts, my 1600 does around 1800 mhz, but with the voltmod, 1950 is no problem. Thats 550mhz overclock on a €60 cpu.

Mac

Originally posted by PPC
    My current setup atm
    CPU Info: (1-AMD XP, 1739MHz, 256KB (0% Load) 39°C
    Voltages: (Core 0: 1.87V, Core 1: 2.52V, +3.3: 3.37V, +5.00: 4.96V, +12.00: 12.21V, -12.00: -11.54V, -5.00: -5.21V)

I also added a GF4Ti4200 to my system today \o/

Cause of windows crappy protect the hardware failsafe i can only get this stable at that speed.

I can get 1.8 in SuSE no bother.

Whats the point in talking about an overclock which isn't stable? No operating will run an overclocked chip stably at a higher speed than any other. Win2k puts the machine through more strain on bootup, which saves you crashing later.

Try a kernel compile in linux at 1.8, and see how far you get.

Originally posted by Gerry
    No operating will run an overclocked chip stably at a higher speed than any other. Win2k puts the machine through more strain on bootup, which saves you crashing later.

Im sorry, but that is so wrong. You cant really compare win 2 k and XP (not that xp is mentioned) when it comes to overclock. Win2K is far better than xp in that case. My chip does 1950 in 2k but only 1900 in xp. And i know i am not he only one.

Why should we try Linux if we never use it?

Its an Abit KR7A. I know how to volt mod it but i don't want to solder onto the board as i have a shaky hand so i have to go to Dublin to get a clip. Which is too much of a drive for a wee clip.
    Is that a newer stepping 1600 Mackanz .

Yeah mines a Soyo Dragon Plus! KT266a.

Also there was some people on OcUK saying that you can get better oc's in Win2k than XP cause xp has those crappy saftey features.

It´s a AGOIA y 02/12, one of 3 very good 1600 steppings.

On Prometeia, ,over 2100 mhz is very common.
    The voltmod dont have to be done with soldering on the board, my isn´t. KR7 uses the same chip for modding the voltages as the KX7. I use "Grabbers" instead, very easy to be honest. They are available at Maplins, but the size of theirs is a tad to big, so you might need to file a bit on it to have it fitted well.

Mac

• Advertisement

Thats what i was planning to do was get those grabbers but i have to go to dublin to get them

Advertisement