Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shut Up

Options
  • 29-10-2002 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I got a new pc and am just wondering how can i make this modem shut up. When it's dialing you can hear it ringing but it isn't coming from the speakers ( the sound ) tis coming from inside. Plz tell me if i cna make it stop cause tis annoying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It would drive me nuts too.

Do two things: turn the modem volume down, then turn the speaker off (for some reason depending on the OS/modem combo you often have to do both)

Part 1:
    On Win2k (if you're using another windows it's probably the same):
    Go to Control Panel, Phone and Modem options (older versions of Windows probably have just a "Modems" option), "Modems" tab, click Properties for the modem you're using. Move the Speaker Volume slider all the way to the left.

On to part 2:
    Go to Start menu- Programs, Accessories, Communications, Network and Dialup COnnections (if you're using an older version of windows it's probably in Accessories, Dialup Networking). Open your dialup applet by right-clicking and choosing "Properties" (probably called whatever ISP you use so mine is called "IOL"). Click the "General" tab. Click the modem you use and click "Configure". At the bottom of the window that pops up there's a tickbox for "Enable Modem Speaker". Unclick it.

Should sort the problem forever, though if you ever set up a new ISP connection you may have to do step 2 again for that connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

is to edit the phone number you dial

if the phone number in dial up networking is

change it to

L0M0T123456

(thats zeros not ooh)

should shut the speaker up as part of the dial process.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭BArra

haha ;p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

I explained the use of Hayes commands to a guy with the same problem in the Technology board a while back. It's here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65577

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

a Really old fart would also leave his terminal window running (minimised) in case he had to

pop it up again
    type +++ (and no <CR> )
    type at& .....whatever was necessary
    then type ATO
    and carry on

all without dropping the connection !

M

• Advertisement
Advertisement