Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom and Gigsmart Focus Ireland Fundraiser

Options
  • 29-10-2002 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

The following maybe a bit long winded for some. If you fall into that category then the first and last paragraphs will give you the guts of what I want to say.

This Fridays gig @ Voodoo features an all-star line-up all playing in aid of Focus Ireland (www.focusireland.ie).
    Admission is €5, show starts at 8:30, come before ten for your money to go to Focus.
    Acts playing include Otranome, Sundogs, Serotona and Wicked Wilf. The show is followed by our renowned indie/rock club Papa Lazarou's @ Voodoo till late.

Many of us who spend a lot of our working & social lives in the city centre have encountered the growing amount of homelessness in the city centre. Grafton Street and its surrounding area display some of the biggest symbols of our wealth and in some cases opulence. Turn a corner to the arch at the end of Anne Street and one is greeted to the site of a great contradiction in such an opulent area. The arch across the street from the New Ireland office on Dawson Street is a dormitory for a dozen men and women whom most of the nearby shoppers would care to forget.

Focus Ireland is the largest group in the country who work at the re-housing of homeless people. Their practical philosophy is based on eight primary values.

Respect

Safety

Accessibility

Empowerment

Stewardship

Quality

Partnership

Integration

If you are interested in a detailed synopsis of their application of this philosophy and what they have achieved then visit their website on www.focusireland.ie

21% of Focus Irelands Funding has to be raised from private sponsorship and fundraising. In 2002 this will amount to €2,000,0000.

If next Fridays show is a regularly attended gig then our donation will amount to a pitiful €400. I say pitiful because a ten minute canteen collection amongst 100 students at my college brought in €180. A night of music amongst people that pass the problem every night they go to play/see a gig should realise at least ten times that amount.

For a measly €5 euro you can have a great time with some of the best music this city can offer while helping to make a positive change to a growing problem in the city.

Many of you have benefited from Gigsmart in the past and this is a gig for which I'm calling the favours. Come and have a good time is all I'm asking. There's no need to write a letter to your TD or sell a Kidney. Just come and enjoy the music.

Thank you to all the bands for giving up their time for the event free of charge and thanks to Phantom for endorsing the event.

That is all, see you Friday.

Thomas Brunkard
    Gigsmart Co-ordinator

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

too important to fall off the bottom so I'm giving this one a
    *BuMp*

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

Looking forward to this.

See you all then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Neil_B

Me 2.
    It's been a while since I seen you guys play James.www.sundogsband.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Hope some of you guys make it and didnt spend all your spondulicks last night!!

Please try get in by 10 cause that's when the money goes to the club and not the charity, we really want to have something decent to give to Focus!
    All the best - Trev

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Can anyone verify if wicked wilf are still alive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Was speaking with one of them yester eve !

Advertisement