Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok read

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

"That's the problem. That's why the Government's answer is only half an answer. It's like the field of dreams - if you build it they will come. Except that they won't necessarily come. Even if you get the supply side right, consumers won't take it up. Not if they don't appreciate what is on offer. Not if no- one has shown them the advantages."

They built it and let it rot in the ground didn't they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

There is alot of truth in what is said, but I can't help wondering if at least part of motivation for saying it, is to protect their own investment.

Ultimately I personally have been alway scepetical about fibre rings, I think I would worry less if there was some greater emphasis on addressing the last mile issues. The recent Dept of Communications funding of wireless trial probably signal the start of this. It seems to be the direction the government is looking. Probabily why Esat BT is so concerned.

Is he looking for a Pan Irish Version of ACT (which in is Cornwall only, no great leap on the part of the British) ? Me thinks Forfas and Enterprise Ireland are already starting to run those kind of schemes, have to wait and see. If Esat BT where a little bit more clear about their future investment plans, it might be possible to run these type of schemes, it all well and good government money being spent to stimulate broadband in an area, if no infrastructure appears to back it up.

I wonder it these are just sound bites, or did they suggest it to the Dope etc first ?

Advertisement