Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCP help please

• 29-10-2002 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello guys

I read over your forums a good bit I am what you guys call a troll well was. I think I may start posting now, please take it easy on me as I don’t want to leave here with a nervous stutter ;)

I hope this is the right board I have posted my question on, if it’s not feel free to move it to where ever you think it is suited.

I want to start sitting some exams and certs I have a lot of technical knowledge in many areas and now I want to certified in these. I already work in I.T in the UK and getting the training papers is not a problem.

I want to start off in doing my MCP’s then my MCSE, then on to my CCNA and with a bit of look then go and get my Oracle certification.

First off would you tell me where the hell to start with my MCP’s its so confusing? Any ideas of what papers I should sit first and how many of them I should sit before I do my MCSE’s ? Also what test centre can I go to for me to sit my exams and how much will this cost ?

Regards

Toc

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Toc - Welcome to the forums jock. Good Q btw.

Have a look at this site for the requirements. I am thinking along the same lines as yourself so it will be interesting to see what prices etc that the lads come up with.

http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mcsd/requirements.asp

Maybe move this to the programming forumn though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

check http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/8823/mcse1.htm for plenty of exam questions.

http://www.prometric.com for testing centres... theres loads of other companies as well that do them though.

as far as what papers to sit.. for the mcse theres 7 exams altogether.. 5 core ones (which are further split up) and 2 others.. which ones you do depends on what interests you.

http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mcse/requirements.asp for the breakdown of the requirements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

toc,
    post up yer cv and where you are and if your interested ina new job :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 toc

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    toc,
    post up yer cv and where you are and if your interested ina new job :)

Thanks for the offer, but I am on good money at the moment and the work I am doing is pretty good. I really am online getting a credit history behind myself in order to get a business loan in the future.

Guys you just supplyed me with all the information I needed, after me seeking the web for hours I could not find a current up to date answer yet you gave it to me in minites. Thank you very much.

Regards

toc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

shame, was looking for a good engineer/consultant down surrey or aberdeen way....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

dont underestimate the difficulty of those exams, their tougher then you think :eek: and if you fail an exam, you dont get a refund

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

It might be worth getting the CompTIA A+ and Network+ qualifications (piss easy) under your belt first - they can count as an elective exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

Its also a good idea to buy some transcenders. They can be expensive but you cant get better practice for Microsoft exams.

When I'm at it has anyone sat the Managing a network infastructure exam. (218 I think). Is this hard and is there something about it changing in the future. This is next on my list of Micro examz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ZeFrog

I have found that MCPs objectives were very unclear. If you go to Microsoft website, they do not give an exhaustive list of the objectives. So they can ask u anything basically.

I have taken the 70-210 : Installing, configuring and administering win 2k pro.

My study guide was maybe a bit light : MCSE in a nutshell, O'Reilley

Though, I didn t have any question about dynamic disks or quotas(which I was expecting, as features of win 2k) but, instead, I had questions about ip addresses, gateways and masks ... Which I would have expected in the following exams for the MCSE.

I passed a Sun exam recently. Sun, unlike Microsoft, offers a list of all u have to know for the exam, and after u take the exam, they give u your results by sections.

I will not take another Microsoft exam.

MCP objectives ( = ??? buy a book )
    http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mcse/requirements.asp

Sun objectives (= exhaustive and clear list of objectives)
    http://suned.sun.com/US/certification/java/java_exam_objectives.html#programmer1.4

( to take the 70-210 costs about 170 euro, you just have to register at www.2test.com they ll give u a list of test centres in Ireland, this web site is very convinient. Don t become a certification addict ! ;) )

Originally posted by ZeFrog
    I will not take another Microsoft exam

as I said, do not underestimate them. I'm a mcse (7 mcp's) now, and I agree, some exams were asking some really unrealistic questions that would never have any relation with real world events, but it made me learn my stuff. MCP exams are not for the inexperianced, they test you on your knowledge/experiance and troubleshooting skills with microsoft systems in your working life.
    to take the 70-210 costs about 170 euro

you can do them for €140 with Vue.com

On another note, It really gets to me when ppl say, "oh your just a mcse, thats nothing". They really do not have a clue of how much work goes into achieving mcse status

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ZeFrog

Originally posted by ando
    as I said, do not underestimate them. I'm a mcse (7 mcp's) now, and I agree, some exams were asking some really unrealistic questions that would never have any relation with real world events, but it made me learn my stuff. MCP exams are not for the inexperianced, they test you on your knowledge/experiance and troubleshooting skills with microsoft systems in your working life.

Hi ando :)

Don t get me wrong there, I agree with u 100 %, it s not easy to get certified. I worked quiet a bit for my 1st MCP and I didn t get it.
    What I am pointing out here is that Microsoft education policy, in my opinion, is a bit awkward : they do not tell you precisely what you have to know for the exam.

On another note, It really gets to me when ppl say, "oh your just a mcse, thats nothing". They really do not have a clue of how much work goes into achieving mcse status

I understand that perfectly. I feel exactly the same ( but I didn t pass as many exams as you yet ;) ) The people you re talking about are probably passive people. Unlike people who actually achieve things, they talk to talk !

I have friends who are implicitly comparing my certification to their trainings or jobs. I don t think an exam is a finality but it is a real challenge, a training is not, and you can sleep in your office every day, that doesn t make you smarter.

Congrats for you being an MCSE :)

Originally posted by ZeFrog

The people you re talking about are probably passive people. Unlike people who actually achieve things, they talk to talk !

Agreed !
    Congrats for you being an MCSE

Hey thx zefrog, you must be the first person to say that to me :) (except the 'owl reliable mother ;) ) lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SemperFi

Try this route to MCSE,

First do the server and professional exams (210 & 215). These are similar in parts and its advantageous to do them close to each other.

Next Network Infrastructure (216) & Managing a Network Environment (218). The 218 exam counts as an elective an if you get these you achieve the MCSA.

Next do the Directory Services Infrastructure (217). This is the last core exam. Now just pick a design exam and another elective and your there.

Good Luck.

Advertisement