Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quiz host Deayton fired by BBC

• 29-10-2002 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

bad move BBC. Deayton was the perfect host for that show. who will replace him? knowing the BBC it will probably be Jonathon Ross :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

Fierce daft. Deayton getting slagged just added to the show!

Tenner bets Clive Anderson takes over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Deayton was'nt sacked for sleeping around but for cocaine use.

The beeb righly takes a hard line on drug taking employees.

He was on a warning after the last revelations in the News of the
    Screws

Anderson might well get the gig if the show survives, its been going about 12/13 years, so maybe the beeb will take this oppotunity to kill it off.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Paul Merton will be presenting this Friday's edition. That should be worth watching.

I wonder if Deayton himself will form a part of the shows subject matter! :D

Seriously though, he was a great presentor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Lennoxschips

I think thats what got him sacked. He's supposed to comment on the news, not be the news.

Dave, the BBC sacked that Blue Peter guy for drugs so they have to be consistent if nothing else.

wasn't Richard Bacon (Blue Peter guy) doing another BBC show last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Honestly,how many people here have never snorted a few grand of coke and rode a few hookers all in one night?
    Well,OK I havent but someday I vow to live the dream:D
    Perhaps all these disgraced celebs should set up their own tv talk show where they can all have a career.Think about who would present it-it could rotate weekly between Angus Deayton,Micheal Barrymore,John Leslie,the Blue Peter guy etc.Perhaps as special guests they could bring on Gary Glitter,R Kelly and Adam Ant.:D

I for one think it would be a ratings hit:) TV bosses should learn that controversy increases ratings-Id say that last Fridays HIGNFY had twice as many viewers as usual.
    Personally I never really watched it but anyway...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Ridiculous decision. Hislop and Merton are great, but Deaton made the show what it was - the single best thing the BBC has in its schedules right now.

I don't think anyone actually CARES if Deaton snorted some coke. But people might care about their favourite TV show, and one of the only remaining bastions of free political satire, being castrated in this way :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Some great interplay between deaton and hislop about Deaton's indiscretions :)

Merton is the temporary replacement, but I think he will have trouble being the straight-man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Originally posted by Lennoxschips
    Paul Merton will be presenting this Friday's edition. That should be worth watching.

Seriously though, he was a great presentor.

pity that.

methinks he should be on as a guest before the series is over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    wasn't Richard Bacon (Blue Peter guy) doing another BBC show last year

No, he's doing the voiceover for Celebs Behaving Badly on Sky 1. Oh, how i am choking on the irony..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Merton is the temporary replacement, but I think he will have trouble being the straight-man
    i give him five minutes before he starts talking about dolphins or squerrels doing somthing daft like shopping in tesco.

deayton's replacement looks like to be john sergeant who appeared on the show before and is quitting as the political editor for ITN. him or the tub of lard.

the show wont be the same without deayton though, but for the last few shows, he seemed to be more in the news then commentating on the news itself.

adnans

Originally posted by adnans

deayton's replacement looks like to be john sergeant who appeared on the show before and is quitting as the political editor for ITN.

adnans

You know I thought about Sergeant last night (:eek: )
    and I think he'd be a good host though obviously a quite different one.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

It was Ian Hislop and Paul Merton who complained about Deayton asking the the BBC to fire Deayton. They didn't like him because he was being paid well more than them.

Originally posted by plastic membrane
    No, he's doing the voiceover for Celebs Behaving Badly on Sky 1. Oh, how i am choking on the irony..

when he was doing the Big Breakfast he kept plugging his show which was on BBC Choice IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

...and apparently next week, Anne Robinson...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i didnt feel the same without Deayton but i think it was still as good as before. When they get a proper host it will improve again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by daveirl
    FFS Prince Charles is an adulter and his son took illegal drugs and the public are happy for both of them to become King (i.e. Head of State). Double Standards!!

That would be the second son - who's not going to become king unless his brother is gay, sterile or gets involved with Nazis before wanting to marry an American divorceé.

Point is still good though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    who will replace him
    I would suggest getting a large piece fo cardboard and selotaping a bad wig to it. Noone will notice the difference.

Advertisement