Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasing a good Joy/FlightStick

• 30-10-2002 1:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭

For a while now Ive been buy relativly cheap jsticks and find that after a while the potentiometers degrade and the stick becomes twitchy and useless for any real precision in flight sims. The money spent on all those poor sticks would have been better spent on one good one.

For this reason Ive been searching around for prices on some good ones. Ive narrowed my sights on these three.

Thrustmaster: TopGun AfterBurner II
    Microsoft: Sidewinder Precision 2
    Microsoft: Sidewinder Force Feedback 2

One of the biggest reson for going to the more expensive is reduced accuracy over time and considering that the Microsoft sticks are both digital optically sensed instead of analogue pots, im favouring the MS stick. Ive been doing a bit of pricing online and from retailers. Though considering the poor range and how not up to date some Irish retailers stock is I would appreciate any advice on choice of stick or especially where is cheapest to buy.

Ive included some of the lowest prices Ive found. (shipping incl.)

Amazon.co.uk
    TM TG AB II €65
    MS SW P 2 €65
    MS SW FFB 2 €102

Komplett.ie
    TM TG AB II €69
    MS SW P 2 €59

Peats.ie
    TM TG AB II €70

PCSuperstore
    TM TG AB II €66.50
    MS SW P 2 €52.50<--
    MS SW FFB 2 €100

I was surprised to see PCSuperstore was the cheapest. Thx in advance.

_________
    Dotsie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I have the FFB1 and its brilliant.
    Best joystick i ever used.

Hiighly reccommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Personally I find the MS joysticks very sloppy from new...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

hotas.gif

A bargain at only $289 from amazon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Lol moriarty i was drooling over this the other day...but its soo expensive. Do you own one? What do you fly with it?

BTW i still want to know good places to shop

_______
    Dotsie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

the saitek x36 is supposed to be good. i just use a playstation joypad. fuppin great for flight sims they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I kinda like the CH Products sticks. Had some problem with their pre-usb models but I loved the build and feeling of the stick. I'm currently using a TM "Top Gun Fox 2 Pro USB" which is a decent budget stick. Its enough for the light "simming" I do at the moment. If I was spending more time at it I'd probably buy a seperate stick and rudder set, either the CH Products FighterStick or the Hotas Cougar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Vuk

I use the TopGun AfterBurner II, the one thing I really like is the 2nd rudder control on the throttle, it's a tilting horizontal lever (as opposed to twisting the yoke) and helps greatly with rudder control during a turn. Keeping this one 'till I can afford some good pedals!
    Also, the yoke/throttle rudder control is selectable, so it's one or the other but not both.
    This joystick is also available with a force feedback flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I've had the Force Feedback2 since it came out around 2 years ago, and its just as good now as it was when it was new. Accuracy is still as good as ever, and the forcefeedback is great. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Well i finally bought the Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2. Got it in PCWorld for €49.99 [£39] (was actually €64.99 but i used their price promise to get it down to the price PCSuperstore had it at but who were also out of stock). Not a bad price. Didnt have the cash to spring for the Force Feedback version [€100].

Very happy with it. And precision it certainly has. Bad ergonomics too, but forgivable. The rudder axis in the stick is driving me mad though. I have no experience with it and feel dizzy after flying :). Keep feeling the urge to twist insted of just rolling. I suppose you get used to it over time though.

One problem i am having. Games dont seem to recognise the seventh and eight buttons on the base. Anyone else found this? They show up in gaming options. Maybe its just the game.

_______
    Dotsie

Advertisement