Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drivers?

Options
  • 30-10-2002 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

How complex are they? The reason I ask is I have two Nortel e-mobility 802.11b cards (1xPCI, 1xPCMCIA) which didn't come with winxp drivers. The desktop was running win98 (supported) and the laptop had xp pro (unsupported). The w98 drivers would get the card working in the laptop but without full functionality, network discovery etc. On the desktop I had to switch to proprietary ad hoc mode and then back to ad hoc to get the laptop to pick it up.
    Now due to a h/w upgrade I have xp on the desktop too and no amount of switching will get them talking.
    The cards are rebranded Symbol cards and Symbol have drivers for xp. Is there a way to edit the symbol drivers to work with the nortel branded cards? Or is there a way to "Unbrand" the nortel cards, firmware update for instance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Somebody must have some input on this surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Hi milltown
    If the device is truely rebranded and support already exists in XP for the Symbol devices, you should be in luck.

The first step is to track down the INF on XP which supports the (PCMCIA) adapter. You might be able to search the WINDOWS\INF directory for this. If you just plug the device in to your machine and wait for the Hardware Wizard to pop up, open regedit and look in
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCMCIA

You should see an entry matching the device. This is the PnP ID of the adapter. Keep track of this as you'll need it to find the right INF you need to tweak.

Once you find the INF for the device you'll need to edit the entry for the Symbol adapter's PnP ID and replace it with the ID of your
    Nortel device. Edit a copy of the INF. You'll need to otherwise XP's system file protection will immediately recover the edited file from it's cache.

When you have modified the INF, point the hardware wizard towards it and it should pick it up.

As I say, this should work if it is only a rebrand and not a completely different version but it's worth a shot.

Advertisement