Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory Integrity testing?

• 30-10-2002 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Anynone know where i could get software that would run a diagnostic on my RAM?

my computer has started to act really strange lately. at times if i try and launch a new program the display gets completely messed up and will only be ok again after i shut down a couple of running programs.

I thought it was a grapihics problem at first but after looking in the system event viewer i'm not so sure. the event viewer is reporting things like
    The instruction at "0x70117738" referenced memory at "0x70117738". The memory could not be "read".

cheers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

memtest86. It runs without windows, so you can put it on a bootable CD ( using the ISO provided ) or on a bootable floppy. Instructions are on the webpage.

Zab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

if the memory comes back all clear - you might want to check out the hard disk it might have bad sectors or need a defrag and scan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Isn't this some sort of segmentation fault?
    Yes I think it is..... something to do with attempting to read memory that is not currently allocated to program x from program x as opposed to a hardware fault. I'd be looking at a software as opposed to a hardware error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

DocMemory

Bootable Floppy Based Memory tester - Free

b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I had something very similar happen to me with my old pc ... I had damaged the motherboard when I was adding a new agp card ... every diagnostic tool on the planet was reporting bad memory but I changed it and it was still reporting the exact same problem ... tried another motherboard and everything was fine...

• Advertisement
Advertisement