Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a stout mast

• 30-10-2002 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

I want a little lattice mast you can climb up.
    Like the sort that has a TV camera.

I'll put a dish near top to get out over my house and behind house as at the moment the roofs are in the way to the east & west.

I'll add a pole on a pulley down the middle that can be wound up and down for my aerials.

Something like a 20ft or so triangular lattice.

Anyone know where to buy it? I'm near Limerick City.

Do I need planning permssion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 tvman

:) Hi Watty,

I have such a mast lying in my garden at the moment - 6 metres long (high), triangular construction - 46 cm x 46 cm x 46 cm.
    I bought it for €5, it was from my work place and was not required any more.
    I intend to use it at my new house location shortly (North Louth).
    Several aerials - tv, fm and two sat dishes - Sky and a 1 metre motorised affair.
    (I will be testing for DTT from Divis when all is up and running)

:( Sorry you can't have it, but I will try and find out where it came from originally.

I want to know what the base for such a structure should be - mass concrete obviously, but what dimensions, depth etc.

Regards,
    tvman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Moving it to Limerick could be expensive :(

Consult an expert re base.

As a rough guide:
    Concrete in base should weigh more than mast.
    About 2ft at least of mast sealed with bitumen or something (against rust, esp wher it leaves concrete), burried in concrete.

Angle irons etc 1 ft down to lock mast /reinforce concrete.

At rough guess at least 1.2m wide x 0.75 m hole for concrete base.

But consult an expert.

Windloading of dishes is VERY severe. A mesh dish can even be worse than solid. (Large MMDS or UHF TV dishes can windload to pull a mast over).

If you have a lot on mast you need guy wires too.

Advertisement