Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can anyone give me a job ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

who are you?
    where are you?
    what do you do?
    where are you willing to work?
    what are you willing to do?
    do you have a CV?

give more useful information than 'heres some sites' because i havent been bother to look at them, and most employeers wont unless you are sat in front of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭damien_gill

I run my own web design company employing 2 people and I was about to attempt to hire a third (you).

But as soon as I saw that over half of your links led to no-where on your site I changed my mind.

A word of advice if you are looking for web design work and have gone to the trouble of making an online portfolio you should at least make sure all your links lead somewhere.

I really like your work but answer me one question;

HOW AM I TO KNOW THAT YOU WONT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES WORKING FOR ME?

Thats the kinda thing that could make a contract holder turn around and say no thanks we're not renewing our contract with you.

HOPE THAT HELPS YA (SORRY WISH IT COULDA BEEN DIFFERENT)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

what links dont work? I just clicked most of them and they seemed to be fine for me. Oh and im not hiring.. sorry just curious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Some quick things :-

Histroy is not the correct spelling of History in About Me

ect should be etc. - in the Histroy section of About Me.

allot should be alot - again in the Histroy section of About Me.

Falsh should be Flash - in the Swish /Falsh section of Portfolio

unfinihsed should be unfinished - in the Swish/Falsh section of Portfolio.

(This is not an exhaustive list. I only had time to give this a brief glance)

Get these put right, attention to detail is one of the things that potential employers like to see I know of quite a few HR guys who don't even bother with Cvs with frequent spelling mistakes.

On the plus side, all of your links worked for me and your portfolio is quite impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭damien_gill

On the portfolio section 11 out of the 15 or so links do not work. There are also the typos that I didn't notice 1st time around and I know everyones not perfect and makes typos but if your seriously looking for a job and are trying to make a good impression you should at least try to be more accurate.

Call me fussy but I'd like my coders and designers and little bit more accurate than that. Granted people make mistakes but 11/15 is a bit too rich for my blood. I'm not putting ya down David I think your an excellent designer but you need to be more accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Thanks for the replies,

I didnt know the links didnt work, I will try to Update them but i dont know if i will be able to, But i did upload some of the work to my new site , like the Palm and DOS viewers.

My CV was on one of the sites here http://www.detailplus.net/cv.html

I will try make a new site will all my work on it, or have all the work in 1 place

Hi again

I have updated a few of the links so they work ( not all them because i have to redo the work ,, will be done soon)

damien_gill I have PMed you , i hope you dont mind.

ok i have updated my portfolio with links to all my other work

I have fixed the spelling and all the links ( If you find a broken link/Spelling Error, please let me know . Thanks)

Questions
    1.who are you?
    2.where are you?
    3.what do you do?
    4.where are you willing to work?
    5.what are you willing to do?
    6.do you have a CV?

Answers
    1. I'm David.
    2. I'm In Dublin Ireland.
    3. Graphics/web design, I have ran a Hosting company before
    4. I can work from home or in an office in Dublin
    5. What ever i can, I'm a quick learner.
    6. Yes here is a CV, http://www.detailplus.net/cv.html

much better,

you would never go to an interview and ask for a job without giving them some details. the same goes for anytime you are looking for something like this.

for all we know, you could be in australia. not much good if someone has a position in senegal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    That could be my new CV.

If only.

?? I posted a CV .. ;);):cool: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

First of all, let me state this is all my own humble opinion.

First of all, I found the image on the top left a bit to in your face. It's basically screaming "look at me, look at me" and detracts from the rest of the page. I also found the white hyperlink text hard to read against the background colour.

About me Capitalisaton is all over the place. "I have been working in web Design for 2 years making Sites/templates/banners/etc"

Make sure your capitalisation is correct. If people haven't faith in your grammer and puncutation, they're unlikely to trust you with developing a site for them.

"I started learning more programs like Swish" - should possibly read something like "I have recently begun to develop my skills in developing Flash applications using Swish"

CV "T.V.L Software Inc. March 02’ – May 02’
    Designed and built a website ....scanners and software."

It's all scrunched up. Seperate it out into bullet points. Expand a bit on the different projects - detract from the fact that you were only there two months, by putting more emphasis on the work done.

De-emphasise the bar work part. I'm not putting it down, but it's just not relevant to what you want to do now.

"Quick to learn, self taught" should read something like "able to absorb new skills and information quickly" and then "Continuously updating skills and knowledge on new technologies/programs through self-education"

" I Get work done on time" should read something like "ability to meet and exceed deadlines on a regular basis"

"Great Experience in building web pages/Great Experience in designing graphics". - Drop the greats as they mean nothing and are unquantifiable. People tend to ask "great as opposed to what?".

"Welcome Host /Successfully completing the Shamrock Project". Expand a bit - these are out of the ordinary, so use them to hook a potential reader into wanting to find out a bit more.

Contact Me Again, just in my opinion, a yahoo address looks a bit cheap on a CV/contact page, especially for a web business

You seen quite technically proficient - just try smoothing off the rough edges on the site :-)

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    I noticed. I just wish I could do a 4 line CV.

Anyway....
    Here is a test question an interviewer might ask you.

"hmmm I see you worked in the Penny Black. I frequent it a lot during lunch hours. Good value food there. Can you tell me why they no longer have the savoury meat mince pie on the menu?"

How would you approach such a question?

::: I don’t know, you should ask the chief,

BuffyBot : thanks alot that is some really powerful words you have given me and i will add them right away,
    Thanks.

with regard to the wrd alot, youre both wrong.

it a lot. its two seperate words.

i will look though your stuff later if i get the chance, damn this work lark! and see if i can find anything worth pointing out. have no skills as a designer, but canhelp you out with stuff like buffybot has.
    will also disect your cv and tell you to re-write as well probably :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

God, I wasn't exactly sober when I wrote all that. I'm surprised I was able to write all that..

Still, anyway, I think what I said makes some sense (on re-reading), but I'm sure WWM/others will be able to offer some better stuff.

Hey i just made this for a guy and i'm hoping he likes it

http://www.webhostingforums.net/tech.htm

Something i made in Flash,

Let me know your comments, :)

I just added a few more logos , with my flash logos in it :)

http://www.detailplus.net/logos2.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭juNkie

Sorry mate, I've worked in the Industry for the last 4 years heading up the design department in a very successful web development company (yes there are a few left) here in Dublin and there is no way you will get a job with that kind of work.

Your flash is very basic, the site itself is fairly sub-standard with no real feeling in it, to be honest it looks like a total rush job, kinda old school design. I'd get a new logo, cross hairs look tacky.

Take your time on your work, if I was doin a site, it would take me at least a week (in photoshop) to get anything resembling a site I'm happy with, pay absolute attention to detail, more often than not its the small stuff that really sets off a page.

Have a look at a few of the design community sites, get a feeling for the scene, see what u like and what u don't, I'm not sayin copy this or that but just take it in, may give a different train of thought or something.

http://www.surfstation.lu
    http://www.k10k.net/

Have a look at them and click a few links, I think you'll realise how strong the competition is in the web game.

Anyway, didn't mean to sound like a Kunt, jus tellin it how it is.

Best o luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

My Tip : Learn what anti-aliasing is.

To be blunt,
    I wouldn't expect you to get a design job with a portfolio like that at most you might be able to get a HTML job.

If I were you I'd take at least a year off, read as much as you can on design (not web) art, typography and layout.

You should probably just go to college if you can.

(o:

- Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    with regard to the wrd alot, youre both wrong.

it a lot. its two seperate words.

Remarkably, you got almost every other word in those two sentences in some way wrong. Ah, pedantry, people have been shot for less.

Advertisement