Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will we never make it easy...

• 30-10-2002 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭

Well after tonight 1-0 defeat to valencia we have as always made it terribly difficult to now qualify for the next round. A very fortunate goal by valencia, but we should have equalised with great chances falling to Saint Michael and Stevie. Valencia deserved the vistory the way they played tbh a good away performance once they got the goal.

Anyway heres to the final game, I for one am getting tickets :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Houllier deserves a slap! Murphy on the left, eh?. Why did'nt he start with Babbel at right back, put Carragher at left-back, push Reise to left-wing and stick Murphy on at right wing with Gerrard in the middle with Hamman.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Murphy and Hamann gave the ball away too easily, too much. The valencia defence was sound and the liverpool attack was not on form. Valencia are a good side and I'd say they'd beat any of the english clubs.

Why did Houllier take Heskey off when he was the one striker who was playing well - and Smicer is pants IMO :(

Not a happy night for the pool :mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It was a great nite will you stop. They totally out played ye, it really showed up the 1 tactic that ye play, how many positions did he play gerard in last nite, who was ****e again, he has not played one good game this season.

houllier crying about the cheating Spaniards, what does he expect them to do, not waste time when they are winning!!

It was like they were the home team last nite tbh, had 60% possession in the 1st half, ye improved in the 2nd half but when ye have a striker who cannot score from 6 yards playing then it does not help.

Heskey was playin well and he took him off, really makes sense.

Still reckon ye will qualify but have a long long way to go to get to the level of the good teams in Europe.

But then again I am sure they would have beat us at Old Trafford as well. They will be very hard to beat, especially when Ayala comes back.

Aldo was annoying last nite, really need to bring back Jim Beglin!!

Fair play to arse whinger, connect 4 now!! so much for the unbeaten all season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭peeve

We lacked imagination/creativity last night. It was long ball to heskey or ball over the top to owen. The spaniards copped on quickly and we were found out. It's not bad to lose to a Spanish side but they were well in control and could have scored another, only for jerzey to make 2 great saves. We gave the ball away too easily..what has happened to "PASS AND MOVE" (IT'S THE LIVERPOOL GROOVE):(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We lacked imagination/creativity last night

Have to agree big time, must have been very frustrating for ye last night.

He does not seem to be able to resort to any other tactic, except give to gerrard, lob it to heskey, knock it to owen.

What formation, players do ye think ye should play. I am lost at to what positions these new guys are meant to play in.

so what do ye suggest??

• Advertisement

Well, first of all, you cant play 4 centre midfielders in a 4-4-2..i know houiller is trying to accommodate hamann, gerrard and murphy and diao but 4 into 2 doesnt go..united tried it with veron and scholes and still no joy! Get rid of smicer,he's s***e,that's for starters. I like the look of Diao in midfield,a good competitive midfielder and last night he seemed to have a few dummys/turns on him. Diouf on the other hand is a waster...£10million and all he does is moan. Cheyrou looks like our only attacking winger but he needs time to settle. Heskey,when played, should be played upfront not on the left. Baros looks promising too. We need more variation in our game...it's all through the centre of the park. We need to be more adventurous...even the spice boys were more entertaining than this crowd

:rolleyes:

Have to agree, the auld entertainment factor is 0. I know I am a Utd fan and do not deny I enjoy seen ye getting beat but half of that reason is due to the fact that the football is crap. We are as bad at the minate, no buking entertainment these days.

I would prefer to watch Arsenal or Newcastle in full flow for sheer entertainment that watch us or ye piss act around.

It is like watching Ireland and England or France playing. I would prefer to watch either of the last 2 than watch the ****e we play.

I have to agree that Diouf is very poor at the minate, then again ye only payed 10 mill for a donkey where we payed 28!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I think Houllier is regretting not paying out the money for Duff , he could have not bought Diouf for 10 million and added that to Duffs price, someone who can run with the ball at pace and create chances for strikers is whats missing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by yop

Still reckon ye will qualify but have a long long way to go to get to the level of the good teams in Europe.

But then again I am sure they would have beat us at Old Trafford as well. They will be very hard to beat, especially when Ayala comes back.

Aldo was annoying last nite, really need to bring back Jim Beglin!!

Fair play to arse whinger, connect 4 now!! so much for the unbeaten all season.

:rolleyes: coming from a man whose team lost 3-0 to Maccabi Haifa.

'arse whinger' - how long does it take you to think up these hilarious names yop? and I think Sir Alex is way, way ahead in the whinging stakes - he could give Wenger a masterclass any day.

'oh we had the wrong colour shirts'
    'the wind was too strong'
    'the referees are all agin us'
    'it's a Masonic conspiracy'

blah blah fu<king blah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Better duck and cover Two Sheds there's no way yop is gonna let that go by without rebuttal;)

What formation should Liverpool play ?

4-4-2

Who should Liverpool have ?

Carragher - Hyypia - Henchoz - Babbel

Riise (One of the best attacking wingers in the premiership) - Hamann - Diao - Richie Partridge (I wish)

Owen - Baros

That's the team I'd field at the mo barring injuries and suspensions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Congoose

I don't think 1-0 was a fair reflection on the game, but Valencia were extremely well organised, especially in midfield. Baraja and Aimar were impressive.

I have to agree that the lack of creativity in midfield is a major problem for Liverpool. I still think they'll qualify though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

i thought that after the looking at the table last night that it would take a miracle for liverpool not to go through?

was i day dreadming or something?

EDIT: forgot that you had played a game more than basle. /me slaps forehead

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Liverpool could have won if Gerrard and Owen converted their great chances.
    Valencia are a great side,you dont win La Liga by 7 points and not be a great team.That said the reds lacked imagination bigtime,also lacked natural width.Thought Heskey was a threat before Houllier took him off.
    Yes Liverpool have a bit to go if they are to challenge in Champions league,but then again few teams win on second attempt.Houllier said himself that the Premiership is what he wants.
    Even though LFC are showing the way in the league id put my dosh on Gunners or Man u ahead of them .
    Certainly MU have the experience in CL and i wouldnt bet against either of those two but to be honest i cant see past RealMadrid,Milan,Valencia even though Reals form is indifferent at the moment.

Yeh i agree with yop Aldo was annoying last night but Jim Beglin is as bad.

Anyone else notice Liverpools over use of the back pass? carragher is always at it...it's very frustrating to see the ball back with jerzey when an attack/corner/free kick breaks down. We also lack a player who can make an incisive pass...arsenal have bergkamp, we had litmanen(Why did we offload him?),veron does it the odd occasion for united....gerrard tries it too often and is extremely inconsistent..yeah its great when it works but how often does that happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fluffie

peeve, some solid words there..

how are ya on this halloween night?!

ab.

[with apologies for hijacking serious thread, feel free to send me a private msg peev!]

spot on peeve, ye really need someone to split the teams open, duff would solve a lot of yer problems on the left, was very impressed with David Thompson last nite, why did ye let him go?

I'm not sure tbh-i think he was seen as a spice boy or maybe he was a bit outspoken-houiller doesnt like players who speak their mind(e.g fowler) but thompson looked good last nite...maybe he doesnt like creativity(he is a good friend of O'Leary)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Gotta love the way Yop wades into every Liverpool thread with a few insults and then attempts to have a serious discussion. Which everyone ignores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭adeypius

Houllier wanted the pool to prove themselves on the pitch
    and not get into any slagging matches before the game

pity about his whining after the match

wonder how many spanish teams will be in the quarter's and semi's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by adeypius
    wonder how many spanish teams will be in semi's
    At this rate - 4

Face facts. Valencia are a skilled side with an impressively steely resolve and they thoroughly deserved to win at Anfield despite the fortuitous nature of the goal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement