Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just Got a FTV Card - Need Help!

• 31-10-2002 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I received a Sky card from a relation of mine who is leaving England and has cancelled his Sky sub and sent me the card which I understand is still a FTV card. Here is my situation - I only have one box which I have for 15 months and is connected to the phone line. How can I use my English card? Can I remove my box from the phone line while I am using my English card and be freely able to change the cards? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

It's all in here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37638

Basically though, to save you wading through all the pages, yes you can remove you phone line whenever you want to use your UK card. At the moment the only channels that will work are ITV1, Channel4 and five. In order to get the BBC channels working you will have to get the card married to your box. I am not sure how easy this will be as it is an ex-subscription card, not a standard FTV card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

Can anyone point me in the direction of a full list of the channels available with the FTA card?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

All the channels you get here with NO card
    PLUS
    ALL BBC TV (Not UK Gold etc), only one BBC 1 region and 4 BBC2 Regions, BBCChoice/Cbbeebies/BBC4/CBBC, News24
    Talk Sport, 5 Live and the other 60 radio that work with no card.
    All the ITV but only one on EPG (Others add in Other Channels)
    NOT ITV2
    C4, NOT E4
    "Five"

Ring FTV card number (boot box with no card to see the number in Services)
    You NEED original Name & Address & Postcode.
    Tell them box replaced.
    Give them your box detials and UK card on Services System info page. If they have no record it is becuase you have a cancelled Sub card rather than a FTV card (but it amounts to same thing).
    Without ringing the BBC channels won't work.

After 1 year you can disconnect. Though I would haver thought connection wasn't madatory 15 months ago.

Change card with no phone line and at Guide menu, then select all channels to reload the appropriate EPG.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭mike2084

Thanks for all your help guys- Much appreciated ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Watty

As far as I know Talksport is not available on FTV card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Nope talksport is not avialable on FTA card. I wish it was as well as ITV2.

Any new channels launching soon by the BBC that might be of interest to us in the ROI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

Speaking of free-to-view channels, this week's Radio Times has a big feature on the 'Freeview' digital service. On the main listings page, it clearly states that 'free-to-view' channels include Sky Sports News and ITV2, and gives their channel numbers for both Freeview and Sky.

It's a bit of a bummer that both of these cahnnels are NOT FTV via Sky, but are okay on this new service.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭mike2084

Hi guys again- Sorry to bother you again but something has just occured to me - will the change in Sky viewing cards mean that all the old cancelled subscription cards will switch off as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Eventually all the old cards should stop working, so I guess so.

We'll wait and see.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jez
    Watty

As far as I know Talksport is not available on FTV card.
    Whatever expertise I have on anything else rate me 0/10 on any info to do with sport or soaps. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Hi,

I'm new to this, so please be patient.

This is what I assume about FTA/FTV:

I can buy a digibox and dish for sky but not subscribe to a Sky Digital service.

I can then get a UK FTV card (eg through my brother who lives in London) and install that in my digibox.

With the UK FTV card, I will have access to the UK terrestrials, and many other channels, eg Sky News / Sky one.

Questions:

How much, roughly, would it cost for a non-subscription installation?

Could I buy the gear and install it myself? I am handy at DIY stuff, but would I need special equipment to find where to point the dish?

Can Sky stop me from using a UK FTV card?

I hope this is not too much info to request.

Thanks,

Ro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mmc

bbc1 NI is still not available aftet 24 hours.

i dont want to ring them up again cause she was acting really suppiscious when i phoned up to get the card activated. she asked me for the serial number and the version number three times and told me it didnt come up on the system. then she put me on hold for 10 minutes. when she came back again she asked me for the same informatio again. then she said that i should get all the channels within a few hous but still no bbc 1 NI. anybody have any ideas.

MMC:
    Leave it on BBC1. Wait and see.

Is it a new card or from another box?

Is box at least 3.0.11? If not hold backup on the box (not remote) while you plug box in to update it. BBC 1 needs box to be 3.0.11 or 3.0.12 (a * means fast CPU)

Ro-76:
    Sky 1 is a Pay channel.
    FTV card gives what ever the boxs does with NO card, plus BBC1, 4 x BBC2, All ITV, C4, Five, CBBC/Choice, BBC4/Cbeebies, BBC News 24.

They cheapest way to get install is often:
    Sky World Sub
    Reduce to value pack ater 1 month
    Cancel after 1 year.

check tony at www.satellite.ie email on his site.

Advertisement