Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Newtork & Cable Internet: USB or Ethernet Modem??

Options
  • 31-10-2002 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

Just a quickie re: choosing between a USB or Ethernet Modem for a Cable installation for use with a Wireless network.
    [This is the service....RoadRunner from Time Warner Cable in New York]

I already have a Wireless Network Setup, but using dial up to share internet Connections. I have bought this Wireless Base Station for routing the cable but have been given the option of the USB or Ethernet modems from TimeWarner.

So what would be the best option to go for with a view to the wireless network or does it make a differnce? I havent a clue of the brands or anything (I think they said the USB was Alcaltel)

Any help would be appreciated as I'm doing this remotley over the phone with them :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

the deed is done...

USB it is

I'm picking it up off them on Dec. 16th

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Bit late coming in with a comment Dave but I'd say it doesn't make all that much difference. If the Alcatel one is the greeney blue frog, there are better BB modems about

Dont know Seamus.
    I'll have to wait and see when I pick it up off them.

If it is Alcatel I'd imagine its this little frog looking thing...

SpeedtouchUSB.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

if it is the green frog, what OS do you have, cause if it is XP you may want to start praying to the modem God's in the sky

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Phillistines, its clearly a fish of the ray variety. It looks nothing like a frog......

As a proud owner of the little fishy yoke, i can heartily recommend them. Works fine with win2k and eircom dsl

• Advertisement

Fish/Frog...its some variety of water type creature :p

--
    As for the OS.. its Win2k

The setup is as following...
    Cable to Wireless Router
    Router to Win2k PC with Wireless adaptor
    Then 1 other PC (Win2k) w/ Wireless Adaptor and 2 Laptops w/ Wireless Notebook Adaptors-

The 2 Notebooks are running XP, but than shouldnt be a problem as they sharing the connection from the original Win2k PC

Anyway whats the problem with Using XP as the primary OS with the USB modem ??

[80p...sightly dismayed at flood of posts after the decision has been made!!]

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

The fish/frog is an ADSL modem - Alcatel don't make cable modems, AFAIK.

With Roadrunner, you're most likely to end up with a Motorola SURFboard, though take a look at cable-modems.org for a complete list

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I have the Motorolla Surfboard SB4200E cable modem with Chorus in Kilkenny... it has both/either Ethernet &/or USB options...

Advertisement