Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'lil help

• 31-10-2002 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

i'd like to set up a wireless connection to my friends house roughly 120metres away. however i dont really know much about this topic.
    we have LOS from roof to roof, and i was thinkin of two wireless nic's and antennas in ad-hoc mode?
    is this suitable or could anyone recommend a better setup? and a suitable nic. we would like to keep things cheap :)

thx.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Fresnel Zone and that.

Other wise sould fine , would lock in the cards to each other (MAC address) and implement WEP to keep pryers out.

See www.Irishwan.Org to find out how others did it

M

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

WEP will only keep out anyone who wouldn't be bothered in the first place... WEP was broken ages ago, anyone with the right bit of software can get the details and start sniffing.

If i were u id get USB NICs with external anterna on em they can be positioned ata window easily (long usb cable). If u start buying coax and antena ure prices and the complexity start going up.

Irishwan is a good place to go for more details....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ShevY

thx

Advertisement