Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dandruff

• 31-10-2002 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Ok, so, by all accounts I DO keep my hair clean. But recently, when I blowdry & comb it, tons of dandruffy flaky goodness come spilling out onto my lap. I dont get this and it scares me. My hair is reasonably long, if it makes a difference.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Probably just combing too hard. Skin flakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Originally posted by dukman
    Ok, so, by all accounts I DO keep my hair clean. But recently, when I blowdry & comb it, tons of dandruffy flaky goodness come spilling out onto my lap. I dont get this and it scares me. My hair is reasonably long, if it makes a difference.
    Not that I don't believe you but how often do you wash your hair? Wash at least once a day with Head&Shoulders and you should be fine in a week or 2. The stuff actually does work and it was shown to have the same kind of chemicals used in more expensive, anti-dandruff shampoos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

every 2 days using herbal essences which kicks ass. try some. or be destroyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Go to a pharmacy and buy some T-Gel I think it's called.

Failing that, for severe dandruff there is this small triangular bottle whose name escapes me, I think you can only get it from pharmacies and maybe even with prescription but that I could be wrong with. It is a yellow "liquid" that you use sparingly and leave on the hair/scalp for 5 minutes then rinse. It smells foul but does the job. Although if you want to do it holistically without horrid chemicals and additives I recommend... umm, not sure, not sure why dandruff exists.

I get dandruff when I scratch my scalp - naturally, when I am stressed etc.
    I got amazing dandruff when moving country after drinking a different water source.
    I get dandruff when I worry too much about it.

Maybe you could think of it like this.... dandruff is proof that your head is escaping from your body, therefore you are thinking whacky thoughts..man. Try a different viewpoint on life and look through rose petaled sunglasses for a while.

But seriously, go to a pharmacy©, they can help out and - hey, pharmacies are apparently a dying breed in Ireland, help them out because next time you may be going to your local Spar and asking "I need something for a genital itch, can you suggest something?"

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Nizoral - It's your only man

• Advertisement

that's the thing...I dont actually HAVE dandruff problems. Its just that when I DO comb my hair after washing it, wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

sebhorraic dermatitis (could be spelled wrong). its medical dandruff, and the flaked are usually a lot bigger. tis caused by the sweat and the bacteria (or is it a fungus?) mixing. stress and food allergies can bring it on, among other factors. could also be psoaraisis, if u have that on another part of ur body, then u more than likely could ahve it on yer head, although u dont usually get it on yer head without having it elsewhere.

or else just bad dandruff, wash everyd ay with head and shoulders for 2 weeks like has been preciously suggested :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

mercury tilt: that's probably because im always moaning about being short (only 5'2"...awwww....ii know it could be a lot worse but still).

my dad and brothers have psoarisis. it one of my family's hereditary things (among alcoholism and cancer....yay for me and my family, what a great few genetic traits to pass on to people). if i tell u all about psoarisis you'll probably get queesy,(well...maybe not after u told us about the 6 pack thing) but its not actually as bad as it sounds, and thankfully i dont have it (yet...im waiting for the god's to frown on me when im 40). so i know all about these lovely skin conditions and what causes them and such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Elocon Solution, small little bottle.
    Absolutely lethal to the yeast bateria :)
    I'e used Nizoral before, it wasn't all that good.

• Advertisement

yeast and bacteria are two different things. damn studying this in college! yeast are fungi and bacteria are bacteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Sounds to me like you dont actually have dandruff. Theres a difference between dandruff and dry, flaky scalp. If you only get it after you wash your hair then cahnge shampoo to one of those moistuising ones or something, see how that pans out. Could be just old stuff falling off. You should try shaving your head as well. You wouldn't believe the **** that accumulates on yer head after only a day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    Please... just use merc.

You little cutie you.

Look if the pair of you are going to make babies, or even practise, can the rest of us watch. Specially if there are six packs involved- LOL

see i probably took the whole 6 pack thing up the wrong way but OW!!!!!!

yeah the dead skin cells have to go somewhere, and its a lot easier for them to go unnoticed if uve got short hair, and i think u said u had long hair.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If it's mammary dandruff you're suffering from, a hot shower should clear it up...

Originally posted by Kell
    Specially if there are six packs involved- LOL
    :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

if it gets really bad, shave your head with a .5, no dandruff then as the shampoo gets right into it

if it's just after u come out of the shower u could have not washed all the shampoo out which will do that to you

also if u use hairstyling products they can leave little bits of white residue in your hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Polytar is good too :) smells yacky but good, makes the hair very weak tho, its strong

• Advertisement
Advertisement