Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bus lanes and bikes

Options
  • 31-10-2002 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

Why oh why are the bus lanes only for buses, taxi's and hairdryers?

For the bike rider at this time of year, when its dark, wet and soon to be frosty frequently, having two wheels beneath us and no seat belt, why in Gods name are we supposed to drive with the rest of the polluting, slow..and frequently bad drivers on the main lanes?

We don't block traffic, we dont hurt you as bad as we hurt ourselves when we crash...read :we take more care mostly...because we have to.

Is Ireland the only country in the EU with bus lanes and no access for bikers? (hairdryers dont count)

Can someone please explain the perverted logic that makes bikers to ride in dangerious conditions (dark/wet/frost/foggy etc) in the same clogged up lanes as regular traffic?, when frequently there is a perfectly good and safe lane to ride in a few feet away??? and one we will not slow down or block??

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭skorn

do the gardi take any action against bikers in bus lanes?
    i've often ridden in the bus lane behind / in front of / or gone past a garda and they don't seem to mind.

your right its much safer than riding between cars (where motorists just change lanes without indicating) or in the oncoming lane of traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

If you both have two lights,white (not green flashing) to the front and red to the rear and take heed of the traffic lights then consider me in your corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Bus Lanes are designated 'cycle' lanes afaik. That does not distinguish between "bi" and "motor" prefixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

IMO bus lanes should be used by ppl with 4 ppl or more in cars as well as *Essential commercial vehicles* EG, me

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

now now don't give out about this backward country we live in
    yeh honestly dont want berti doin ot do yeh
    bikers are second class citizens
    always have been always will
    i can afford a car ,
    i just have a bike same price as a car

i wondeer if i can talk my way (politly awufully politely)
    out of penalty poiints too:)

is their a size restriction on reg s ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I **think** there was an EU directive saying motorbikes should be allowed in Bus Lanes and there is a consequent no enforcement policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Originally posted by Victor
    I **think** there was an EU directive saying motorbikes should be allowed in Bus Lanes and there is a consequent no enforcement policy.

Anyone aware of this directive? or if it has any legal standing to the Irish biker currently?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You might be able to chance it on the basis that the type of 'cycle' isn't specified - don't go on what you hear here though, check the relevant Acts thoroughly to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Just wanted to clarify something: I've a 50cc scooter - can I use the bus lanes? Judging by the previous "hairdryer" reference it looks like I can. Just wanted to confirm I'm not being a bold boy in the mornings and evenings.:D

Thanks,
    B.M.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Whatever the legalities, I've found that Gardai don't tend to care. Normally, if I'm driving down the bus lane, and there's a Garda car a few hundred metres away, I just float around the edge of the lane, or back into normal traffic, and give them the nod........ and Speedies don't seem to care at all. So go for broke...

• Advertisement

How about actually asking the cops?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I asked when I rang about my Lienece (see the other tread) they said your not. But I my-self have seen the guards turn a blind eye to it. As long as you dont seam to br speeding down the buslane. IE: keep it below 40 or 45 (tops of a bus) you'd seam to be ok. but as it was said above. You should float around the line between the lanes. to be on the safe side

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

do the gardi take any action against bikers in bus lanes?

while driving down the bus lane into Chapelizod I was stopped by a cop a year ago...
    who says "do you know why I stopped you"
    I looked at him blankly - "sorry garda, I'm not sure"
    he points out to me that I can only drive in the bus lane outside the hours of 8am-6pm (can't remember the exact times) he checked all my papers and let me off, with the warning not to do it again.
    ppfff, 'tis one of the best reasons for having a bike, so I still drive on them, but only when there's no cops around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

I've been stopped and given a warning. In other words the cop had no intention of booking me. As mentioned above it seems to be a no enforcement policy on behalf of the Guards. I talked to someone in the relevent Government Dept. (can't remember which one now) and they said that although motorbikes were not allowed to use the Bus lanes, they had no objection to a change in the rules and felt it would be brought in before too long.
    Taximen and Bus drivers don't appear to have any objection either from the straw polls I've conducted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

is their a size restriction on reg s ?

Yes there is - I can't remember off-hand exactly what they are, but they cover the size of the letters/numbers, the spacing, the font, and the overall size of the numberplate. If you're plate doesn't meet the regs, you can expect to be prosecuted in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

lights on don't make that much difference when the car infront is spraying up half the road , We (ireland ) must have the highest rainfall for any European Country (im sure) but alot of cars (renalt Nissan are main culprets that i have been observing over the past 2 months ) don't have ANY .
    Surly Every car in this country should be equipped with serious mud flaps
    Paint damage
    Window wipers worn down form mud/grit

As im back on the bike again (10 Months), it aint raining but im getting soaked with water/mud/petrol/

Maybe someone should start a thread on this
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

why dont you start it?

Anyway, back on topic. The other week me and about 4 other people on bikes, where going along the bus lane. Two bike cops passed us (in the bus lane) and did nothing. All the way from the end of lucan to the roundabout for the M50 we drove about 50M's behind the two cops... temting faith I know, ut they didn't even give us a second look letalone stop us. Go figure :/

Advertisement