Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jammy jammy Celtic.

• 01-11-2002 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭

I'm (almost) speechless.

The jammy c*nts!
    Rovers gave them a lesson in football for 85 minutes, in Celtics backyard, and that big fat welshman came on and sets up Larson!

OMG!

Still with Cole and Duff fully match fit for the return leg, I think rovers will destroy Celtic.

X

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I was sitting there watching it and thinking to myself that I thought Celtic were a very good team, then I realised how ****e poor the SPL league is, I thought after some of the matches in the CL that the Celts were not bad but not I realise it was a fluke.

Blackburn, did someone give them a book on how to play football, it was like watch pool and Valencia again, they passed them all over the pitch and really should have scored. Why do they not play like that in the Premiership

Should be a great 2nd leg.

BTW - The noise last nite from the fans was unreal, much better than any Prem league team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

They were blessed! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Celtic were murdered for most of the match , however the defence did alright , they just kept givin the ball back to blackburn. I thought Tuguy played very well and David Thompson was excellent.

The result was excellent for Celtic , now Blackburn need to go at them even more which may leave gaps at back for Celtic to get in.

I'm still thinking Celtic may do it , but obviously blackburn deserved at least a draw last nite.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I support Celtic cos it is indeed more fun. I have been to loads of English grounds From West Ham to Watford, and they are all quiet most of the time - the only song you would hear is "your not singing anymore" after a goal. At Celtic Park its fun as there are any number of songs the crowd cound break into. As a irishman in London I like waving the fact that I am indeed a Celtic fan about.

Celtic were indeed lucky last night. Several players played quite badly. We were very under par. That said, we scored, they did not. We did not concede a Away goal, and thats the name of the game in the Uefa Cup.

On a side note, they did not give us a "lesson in football for 85 minutes" I agree they were on top for most of the game, but not all of it, anyway for the most part they were over elaborate and were too busy pricking about with the ball in the middle of the field to actually have a shot on goal. How many times did Rab Douglas actually have to make a real save? 2 or 3 times maybe?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Originally posted by yop
    Why do they not play like that in the Premiership

Coming off the back of a 5-2 defeat of Newcastle and a 2-1 win over Arsenal, I would say they probably do.

• Advertisement

Arsenal played them off the park for 85 minutes at the weekend - Friedel in goal had an amzing day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Twas a good game entertaining.
    2nd leg should be good entertainment.

Celtic didnt play badly they just couldnt move up agear to a higher level (same as liverpool other night)
    Their own tried and tested forumla didnt work and now next week they know what they are up against should make a good game .

I can see celtic scoring away ,but i can also see Blackburn scoring

Kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Blackburn do play nice ball in the premiership. Souness has made some good signings especially Thompson. I remember at the time I could not believe Liverpool had let him go. BTW Vaggabond I do think Blackburn played the Celts off the pitch. However as you pointed out Celtic scored and they did not, but Blackburn didnt convert there possesion into goals. For long stretches the game was like a training game of backs and Forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I support Celtic cos it is indeed more fun. I have been to loads of English grounds From West Ham to Watford, and they are all quiet most of the time - the only song you would hear is "your not singing anymore" after a goal.

I was in the Newcastle Brown Stand for NUFC - Juve and the noise was unbelievable.

good for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Blackburn deserved to win that game - or at least to draw. They were very unlucky to lose in a match against a team whom they were giving a damn good lesson to in how to play GOOD football.

Its usless playing "total football" if you dont take shots on goal and therefore dont score

End of the day, everyone knows Celtic were far from being the better team, but the score is 1-0 to the celts and thats all that counts.

Celtic have a long and proud history of fecking up away european games, lets hope we can change that trend this time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

so celtic didnt play very well,but they still came away with the win ,you make your own luck.blackburn wont beat them at ewood either.martin o neill will have his game plan sorted out for the away game.despite all blackburns possession i never felt they would score,in the final third cole and yorke were shocking.valgaeren , balde and laursen were massive,maybe not the most intelligent bunch of lads but effective(except when they play against lovenkrands)

Exactly what part of Cole and Yorkes performances were shocking? If Cole had been closer to match fitness he would have been better but I did not think he was shocking for the 20mins he played. Also in Blackburn duffer will be fully match fit too which should also make a difference. If Celtic play that badly at home they will be mauled away from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I thought Yorke played very well , he looked sharp and layed off some good passes / did some good dummies etc. Have not seen much of him since he left united but he looked to me like he was gettin back to his best ....

I'd say Celtic priority in away game will be to try for an away goal so then Blackburn will need 3 to win. Celtic definetely have the upper hand in this one. Can't wait for 2nd leg :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Originally posted by smackbunnybaby
    so celtic didnt play very well,but they still came away with the win ,you make your own luck.blackburn wont beat them at ewood either.martin o neill will have his game plan sorted out for the away game.despite all blackburns possession i never felt they would score,in the final third cole and yorke were shocking.valgaeren , balde and laursen were massive,maybe not the most intelligent bunch of lads but effective(except when they play against lovenkrands)

Blackburn were the better team. They over played the ball at times, when a more direct approach might have payed dividends.
    But to say there finishing was shocking??
    C'mon, Celtic did one thing well all night, and that was getting bodies in the way of the shots, like the one Balde blocked from Yorke (Balde didnt know much about it, he ust got in the way!).

Blackburn created many chances, and Cole and Yorke showed some good touches when they were united for the last 20 mins.
    And dont forget how easily Duff and Thompson cut through the Celtic defense.

If the Celtic defenders were anything it was outclassed. You can tell they dont ofen come accross teams with class attackers in the SPL, cause they were left chasing shadows for virtually the entire match.

Now i'm not running down the celtic team, but I'm saying you cant play againt teams as bad as Aberdeen week in week out, and then expect to play to the standard needed o do well against the better european teams.
    And I would point out that Blackburn are far from being considered contenders for the Uefa cup.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

ya i know they played great one twos and seemed to have a great understanding but when it came down to the last shot they were always blocked or off target.they had the "jason lee" look about them all night,they never looked like finishing off any moves.cole didnt have too much time i admit and i am looking forward to him being fully fit again,but the two of them need excellent deliveries to put away chances otherwise the 3 giants at the back will always get in your way.the difference in the secong leg will be duff.if he is fit we are in trouble...........

Xterm, alot of waht you say is true. Celtic (and the Current Buns) need to get into some form of a competitive league, and out of the SPL. The SPL needs to get rid of the old firm as that would mean 5+ teams would have a real chance of winning stuff and bring supporters back to those clubs like Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hibs and Hearts who were big once and get as many people as Wimbledon these days.

That said "If the Celtic defenders were anything it was outclassed" is pish! If we had lost 3-1 or whatever that could have been true. But we did not let anything in. We had our back 3 playing quite narrow, and quite deep, and the midfield 3 right infront of them (which was bad of them IMHO). Tipical man behind the ball football that teams all around the world play (remember Ireland and Holand with Roy cleaning up infront of the back 4 all day!)

Balde "BoBo's gonna get ya" has made a career of just being in the right place at the right time. Yorke and Cole just gave up going for balls in the air as the game went on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Jake303

As a Celtic fan I found it an embarrasing game to sit/squirm through.
    Personally I dont think Blackburn played exceptionally well, we just made em look good!
    The amount of times the celts gifted back possesion to Rovers (even when under no pressure) was bizarre.

I still fully excpect us to go through though.
    Theres no way Celtic will play that bad in the return leg and that coupled with Rovers need to score goals will leave gaps at the back and I expect us to score at least one away goal

I watched Celtic take Velentia to penalties over two legs in the eufe cup last year and I dont think theyr significantly worse now than they were then (11 months ago)..............:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    Balde has made a career of just being in the right place at the right time.
    What's he doing at Celtic then?

Nah seriously, I was delighted to see Celtic getting the runaround during that game and I look forward to them being elminated in less than two weeks time. They're a **** team with bigoted fans and how any of you can back them is beyond me.

• Advertisement

Certainly have a "Republican element" within the fans base I grant you is that what you regard as being bigoted?

I would say we have far fewer what I would class as bigoted/racist fans than most clubs myself

Serious question to you pigman, which team (if any) on the Brittsh mainland do you support?

Cheers

I was delighted to see Celtic getting the runaround during that game and I look forward to them being elminated in less than two weeks time. They're a **** team with bigoted fans and how any of you can back them is beyond me.

Every team has people who follow it who go 'over the top'. Be that Chelsea, Millwall, Shamrock Rovers or Celtic. Celtic's fans who 'go over the top' get more press than most other clubs thats all. That does not make it right, just saying we dont own the trademark on racist fans. (Go to the Den and watch the Millwall fans for a good education in racism!)

You wont find any 'real' celtic fans endorsing racism or biggotry. As a PLC and a Club Celtic and Rangers are working very hard to get rid of it. Racist Fanzines cannot be sold near the grounds. People caught singing racist songs are banned. We all know its a long road, and its not an easy thing to get rid of, but we are trying. But we are well on the way to getting the subject onto football, and keeping it on football.

On the subject of football, I think todays game proves we need to get into a real league if we are to compete with big clubs in europe.

Racist mags are not sold at the ground NOT cannot, if anybody tried to sell BNP **** near Parkhead they would be done pure and simple, how many English league grounds can say the same?

My question to Pigman remains, which team in England (if any) do you support?

Vaggabond Celtic played with their entire midfield cleaning up in front of the defense. Hence any time they treid to get the ball out it was picked up by a Blackburn player and brought back in.

Advertisement