Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael critisise Aherns decision to force friaco!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

I spoke to deputy Coveney early on Friday, I seem to have interpreted the statement in a different manner to everyone else so i was quite fine with it. It seemed to me that since the com reg is to be tied in with the gov. depsrtments more than it was, that leaves us totally at the mercy of whoever is minister. God forbid another mammy O'Rourke someone as clueless(I shudder thinking about how Mary Hanafin embarrassed the nation when she represented us at that conference earlier this year). For some reason, gambling odds I suppose would say it had to happen, we have a minister that appears to be in possession of a grip on reality. When he is gone what then? May I also state that I agree totally with the statement that to date an independent regulator just hasn't worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Cork was posing all those questions because he was asked to by De Rebel who is meeting Simon Coveney.

No way.

I am posing these questions as I tought all politicians had followed the Ministers example and begun to act on the provision of flat rate access.

It is annoying that opposition politicians seem to feel the need to find fault.

I think the Ministers move has got to be welcomed 100%. There is no benefit of nick picking or trying to find fault.

Flat Rate access will be top of the Commissions agenda. The ODTR was independent but the progress on flat rate could have been a little bit quicker - to put it mildly.

It seemed to me that since the com reg is to be tied in with the gov. depsrtments more than it was, that leaves us totally at the mercy of whoever is minister.

What plan does Mr. Coveney have?
    How would he tackle this problem?
    Is he just trying to score "political points"?

I think that Mr. Coveney's points may be ambigious but he is no longer a Dial novice - I think the Minister is doing pretty well.

We need to await the new commission - lets hope things will begin to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

I hope for the best too. But I do fear what can be made a minister in an Irish gov. If a major part of your life is spent dealing directly with departments and civil servants, you will know why I have misgivings. Deputy Coveney expressed a verbal opinion to the effect of give com reg a clear remit, expand their powers, including those of censure and mandate all this legally but maintain independence from the gov. I presumed it was an act in the interests of the people rather than act in the intersts or whims of the gov. But that is an inference on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Mr Coveney would be doing his job in opposition more effectively if he welcomed Ahern's decision but then said that he would holding the minister to his promises.

Instead of what seems to be an automatic "Fianna Fail propose it therefore we oppose it" response he could have much more effective weapon if FRIACO fails to materialise, as I believe will probably be the case.

It would be far more effective this time next year if Fine Geal could say; "OK you promised FRIACO, we welcomed it, where is it?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Can I ask others to help me. What I need from each of you is
    De Rebel

I have emailed you info on how my business is affected.

Martin Harran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

So far I have received useful contributions from a very small number of people. I am really keen to hear from others. PM or e-mail me if you prefer not to post - anything said or submitted in confidence will be treated as such. Once again, what I need from you is:

1. 3 or 4 bullet points of the key issues we want addressed going forward
      2. If you have a little more time a paragraph setting out your/your employer’s/your client’s current situation and how the Telecomms/ISP situation impacts negatively or costs you. (I will also be drawing from Tom Dunne’s “Calling all multi-national workers” thread) i.e. In my case I am a self employed consultant/contractor. It takes me 2 days income per month (out of 22 billable days) to pay my communications bills – rental, land line usage, mobile usage, ISP costs etc. This is unacceptable, wholly at odds with international norms and and I want it addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

I'll go through my mail archive on Monday night to dig up some contact info for people who could be willing to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Posted By sax0000
      Because the feed into Dublin has been gov.ie subsidized (eg Global Crossing) whereas the feed between Dublin and anywhere else in IRL is super surcharged by eircom who set the markers for "competitors" pricing. Pardon me while I choke on my vomit - no doubt a self-inflicted biological reaction for suggesting that BT were actually "competing" with eircom.

I know this is offtopic but ...
      Are there any other carriers aside from EsatBT and Eircom that feed any other part of the country? .. do the ESB do it? .. is there any real competition in this, (I know everyone is concerned about competition in getting broadband into their houses, but no matter how much LLU is going on there will be no cheap broadband if Eircom and EsatBT are divvying up the backbone traffic around Ireland)

PS I dont know a lot about the "back end" of d'internet, but I do know that lots of competitors means lower prices

Originally posted by pork99
      Mr Coveney would be doing his job in opposition more effectively if he welcomed Ahern's decision but then said that he would holding the minister to his promises.

Instead of what seems to be an automatic "Fianna Fail propose it therefore we oppose it" response he could have much more effective weapon if FRIACO fails to materialise, as I believe will probably be the case.

Let us hope that the new commission will be effective. THat it will have powers to force change in our telecommunications infrastructure in Ireland.

It would be great - If we said the Minister should not intervene as the commission should be independent but flat rate internet access should have been here years ago - thus the Ministers intervention should have been 100% welcomed.
      IF FRIACO fails to materialise
      - According to Simons logic - The minister should not intervene with an indepent commission.

I think - the Minister seems to be pretty active. Lets hope - he'll get thinks moving.

• Advertisement
    Advertisement