Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Questions.?

• 01-11-2002 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Question 1 The current lifespan of digiboxes are approx 18 = 24 months. Are there any new digiboxes coming on the market with longer lifespans.?

Question 2 If I decide to invest in a Sky+ box When they come on the Irish market is the lifespan for this expected to be longer than the current digibox or the same.?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by Irulan
    Question 1 The current lifespan of digiboxes are approx 18 = 24 months. Are there any new digiboxes coming on the market with longer lifespans.?

[if]Im jewish i answer questions with questions..{else if}...[if] i think logically i will ask..."where the fuk did you here such inaccurate info?"
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Irulan

From sat mags and sat forums plus sat sites such as Sat Cure.
    Im told it has something to do with capacitors overheating. I know that life can be extended if fans are fitted ,but that is not generally done. also my own Grundig Failed after 18 months .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If it is NOT in an enclosed space 10 years or more is likely.

Too enclosed a space and 6 months might be optimistic.

Admittedly my 1976 14" Ferguson colour TV has needed a small repair and first button doesn't work any more.

You have to take what the VERY knowledgeable Martin Pickering of Satcure says in Context.

Hard Disks are a worry...

Important servers have extra Disks in certanty that a disk WILL fail. You could get 6weeks or 6years. But if you keep a Sky+ cool, the disk is still the mostly likely part to fail. But easy to replace.

Unplug phone lines during storms as "spikes" on line, even if it doesn't fail the mdoem can reduce the life of the unit.

Yes keep it well ventilated. I did put a fan into one of my analog boxes but monitoring the temperature with a Thermocouple, having it on an open shelf was better. If it still in small or closed space fan just recircles the hot air!

Thanks watty .
    For your well informed comments to my questions.Ive read some of your "posts " and they are a testament to your vast store of knowledge on all things Sat. I am just an" enthusiast ". It was wrong of me to write lifespan of 18 = 24 months as a "statement of fact " when it was just a "Generlisation" based on my own limited " Layman's " knowledge and I apoligse to readers of the Board for any alarm I may have caused.

• Advertisement

"you" "are" "forgiven"

/hehe

Thanks watty .
    For your well informed comments to my questions.Ive read some of your "posts " and they are a testament to your vast store of knowledge on all things Sat.

Erm.. sometimes I'm awfully wrong. Or too pedantic, Or too technical. Or misinformed.

Be a "Dwarf". Don't take anything at face value without some valid confirmation.

I apprieciate votes of confidence though. After all nobody gets paid to come here. I don't bother with many forums and especially Newsgroups as there is often to much %£%*##!! on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Based on "some" of the really bad components supplied 12-2000000 months is expected lifespan. Problem is S* mode power supply designs. As said by above its a case of ventilation etc,, fitted heatsink after 12 mth guarintee ran out on my dsb35 here so lets hope for 20000 year mark..

Quote by WATTY.

If it is NOT in an enclosed space 10 years or more is likely.

I accept that my digibox was in a tv cabinet, but it was put in there by the installer and not only that, but the guy who came to install the replacement put it in the same place. It was only after correspondence with the aforementioned Mr Pickering that I removed it, and placed it ouside the cabinet. Surely Installers should be obliged to tell if not INSIST to their customers after inspection that digiboxes should not be placed in enclosed tv cabinets as it may shorten the lifespan of the box. For example here in my neck of the woods SKY installers will no longer put sat dishes on chimneys. Dont know if it's nationwide? When I asked why? I was told "we had a few cracks". I suspect maybe they had to pay to repair them, for such drastic action to be taken. Perhaps if they had to pay for a few fried digi boxes they would be careful where they installed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Surely Installers should be obliged to tell if not INSIST to their customers after inspection that digiboxes should not be placed in enclosed tv cabinets as it may shorten the lifespan of the box.

No comment as to whether they should but when my installer came he was fairly insistent that nothing be put on top of the box (it's a panny 31 so has airholes on the top). I got the message fairly strongly (and appreciated it). So playstation is now on top of a hub on top of the PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Surely Installers should be obliged to tell if not INSIST to their customers after inspection that digiboxes should not be placed in enclosed tv cabinets as it may shorten the lifespan of the box.

Well I always advise customers about ventilation but you can never insist on anything with a customer, remember the customer is always right, even when the let their pets sleep on the digibox

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Tony
    even when the let their pets sleep on the digibox

Tony

Ah I remember a customer who let their cat do just that and it decided to "relieve itself" on the digibox. Suffice to say, the Panasonic stopped working! Dunno about the cat! :rolleyes:

In some cases I have tried telling people that their box won't last as long built up in cabinet but all I got was "it'll look bad anywhere else so stick it in, it'll be alright!" :rolleyes: What can a man do?

I do think it's a pity that ya can't have an extended warranty on yer box like you can in UK.

Our original pace box is 4 years old next month but i think its mostly retired as the new EPG and interactive features just kill it.

That box went on many trips over seas and has lasted several drops to the floor so its pretty durable, but then, it did cost some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

pets sleep on the digibox

just the problem i'm having at the moment. is there any way of keeping the cat away from the digibox. i throw the cat out and go away but someone will leave her in straight away :( and i don't want anything relieving itself on my digibox!!!

even if it does'nt relieve itself the fur has already done damage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Shoot the furball!!*

*But I hate cats anyway :D

An extended warranty will not cover "pet damage" no more than it will cover spilling coffee all over your digibox.

Tony
    Originally posted by irishbyte
    Ah I remember a customer who let their cat do just that and it decided to "relieve itself" on the digibox. Suffice to say, the Panasonic stopped working! Dunno about the cat! :rolleyes:

In some cases I have tried telling people that their box won't last as long built up in cabinet but all I got was "it'll look bad anywhere else so stick it in, it'll be alright!" :rolleyes: What can a man do?

I do think it's a pity that ya can't have an extended warranty on yer box like you can in UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

if my digibox dies because of fur related damage could i claim on house insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What about mounting the box vertically [yes, I'm aware of the obvious innuendos!].. Will this affect the lifespan of the box?

My relatively new Pace box (10 months) crashes very frequently (once/twice per day) and I find it hard to beleive that this could be due to SW/EPG bugs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

An extended warranty will not cover "pet damage" no more than it will cover spilling coffee all over your digibox.

Tony

The one from Currys does believe it or not!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    if my digibox dies because of fur related damage could i claim on house insurance?

I doubt it, its hardly accidental damage, you never know though.

Originally posted by MrPudding
    The one from Currys does believe it or not!

Really, have you or do you know of anyone who has successfully claimed?

Regards Tony

Crashing as often as that I suspect faulty mains, misalligned dish, bad LNB, damage / wet cable etc....

I had an Analog box on its edge beside TV for a long while.

Make sure vents not blocked and it won't fall over (that's what those PS2 stands are for)

My bath leaked all over an Analog box. After drying out it was OK. Cat wee needs washed off as it is acidic and will corrode the tracks. Use IPA (Isopropanol) from Chemist to rinse PCB. Tell them it is to clean tape heads and tey usually happy.
    Important to unplug AT ONCE and fully dry the Alcohol off before pluging in again.

Really, have you or do you know of anyone who has successfully claimed?

Regards Tony
    Do your, Tony want the customers who let animals nest on the Equipment? What if they clean off the fur and don't tell you what *REALLY* happened :D

(No offence meant to the happy cat owner. I have 5 Guniea Pigs here)

Fur damage is pretty obvious once you lift the lid. No disrepect intended but I cannot comprehend why people allow cats to do this without expecting un toward consequences. I had one customer tell me " Sure the cat did n't mean any harm"

Tony

I bet you got some good stories, Tony!
    Working in "sales" or "service" you do.

Its amazing what folks poke into Floppy drives.

I had a faulty PC in a Pharmacutical factory. There was a dead mouse wedged in a PCI slot. One of the back plates was missing.

Is that "fur" damage :D The PC was fine after it was cleaned.

Apart from not receiving SKY downloads, would it be better to unplug the digibox from the mains at night to reduce heat emmision or is it better to leave on standby to avoid the trauma of power surge on start up.

There are two schools of thought on that. From experience I can tell you that a lot of boxes which had problems with lock ups etc had been unplugged at night although this may have been just co incidental. Fire safety experts will tell you to switch of the mains at source but as you point out this can cause "switch on" power surges. I think Martin Pickerings SAtcure site has something to say on the subject so maybe worth checking that out.

Tony

Ever had a problem with the coffee cup holder otherwise known as a cd drive :-)

Originally posted by watty
    I bet you got some good stories, Tony!
    Working in "sales" or "service" you do.

Its amazing what folks poke into Floppy drives.

I had a faulty PC in a Pharmacutical factory. There was a dead mouse wedged in a PCI slot. One of the back plates was missing.

Is that "fur" damage :D The PC was fine after it was cleaned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭jister

Is it harmful to move my digibox frequently? IE every weekend in the back of the car! Will all the diconnecting / reconnecting of the cables cause any problems?

Coffee cup holder, No but I have to stop people trying to put a CD into the tray under my Car Radio :-) (Urban myth? I'll fax you the faulty floppy disk...)

Moving Digibox...
    If you unplug mains plug first and plug it in last.
    Don't force or strain connectors. Especial care on SCART. Tends to crack circuit board tracks on some designs, RF sockets tend to loosen quickly.

Don't use Gold on SCART or RF lead or Phono Leads.

(Gold wears quickly and should only be used with Gold. Gold against Tin, Nickle or Brass etc causes the "poor" metal to corrode.)

If the Digibox brought in from cold allow to warm for 1/2 hr before applying power as reppeated application of power to circuit with condensation causes corrosion and too high leakage currents in Power Supply. Or in extreme condensation, Immediate PSU failure. (A company I know blew up 5 PC monitors just out of warehouse before they realised what was wrong!)

Advertisement