Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a Compsoc

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

With compsoc's can you bring in your own pc and connect to college network or is that a definite no no. Twould be class for downloading mp3's iso's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Illkillya

Rask, the reason you can't see anything like this happening I'd say is because nobody cares enough. What we're asking is standard; everywhere else has it.

Hmm i was just trying to be objective and you managed to blow my argument out of the water :) You're probably right too about the support. There's got to be a load of people doing engineering, arts etc that might be interested in this, after all they'd only have to sign up for it!

Anyone got an ideas on where to go from this? Should we talk to the existing society or maybe make a new one :p Either way i'll support/help anyway i can.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

[rant]
    If we could get something going then maybe we could get something done about upgrading the slow, dirty and and crappy computers in the labs! For a start 1/2 the monitors in the lab have are completely shot, if it's not the flicker it's images burned into the monitor. There are quite a few computers there that i would refuse to use. Some of them have mice stolen, some are Pentium 2's etc. Anyway low-end P3's with 128mb of Ram just don't cut it, damnit my 2 1/2 year old Gateway can beat that! It's ridiculous that we should have to use such crap when BIS students get top of the line P4's with the sweetest flat screen monitors, upgraded twice a year, the course they do is only 50% computers too! While we're at it maybe we could get some decent, relevent and up to date books in the library. Most of the books are totally out of date and useless or stolen and it doesn't look like they've bought anything for two years!
    [/rant]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Rew
    If the Sparc is oe of the E450's that Sun donted to various CompSocs its worth closer to 40,000 ;)

Nice machines those.

I know a chap from UL that used work for Sun during the holliers/parttime during the year. For all I know he's still working for them. I'd guess being a comp soc admin on that machine helped him get his nose in the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

NUIG compsoc has 250+ members afaik

I'm heavily involved in NUIG, Compsoc. We've been expanding the society very quickly and have over 450 members now. A large proportion of these are also active, attending events and participating in the community.

If you want to get a Compsoc started up, the first thing to do should be to talk to the relevant authorities in the college to determine exactly what is required to be approved as a soc. Luckily for you, there was a previous Compsoc so you might have a lot less problems getting the Soc back online. (I don't know about ITT but in NUIG a dead Soc is still a Soc and can be re-newed far more simply than a new one can be created)

On top of this you will probably need:

- A proposed comittee
    - A constitution (one will almost definitely exist from the old incarnation)
    - Some form of "plans" and statements showing what a Compsoc can provide in ITT
    - Some people with System Administration knowledge to help out
    - Some kind of plan for getting a server together (Doesn't have to be a monolith ... just servicable)

One awkward issue will probably be getting back onto the College network. From what I see a fair bit of bridge burning has taken place, so you might have fun getting (1) a connection and (2) ports dropped on the firewall for external access.

As for the E450's (SUN's Academic Education Grant) ... we missed the boat on those because of inactive committees of old but hopefully (all going well) we'll get some decent H/w soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭smileyrecords

hey leeroy hows assignment 6 coming along?

anyways why are yee all crying about cd burners??? use external usb Hard Drives, they are cheap and all pcs have a usb connection
    if you want download from P2P programs in coleges,YOU CANT!!!THE PORTS ARE BLOCKED!
    but FTP port 21 is open so if you know how to use flashfxp and know where to find latest ftp sites, your sorted! there a picture below if you dont believe me

dl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

It-tallaght`s compsoc was shut down a couple of years ago.
    But..
    Since last year its been up and running and doing quite well.
    http://www.it-netsoc.ie

Ive heard there was problems with college admin and stuff and there still is.
    but its going good from what I can see!
    Loads of network space with shell accounts on the netsoc server (nemo).
    Which is also accessible from home.

Advertisement