Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVI Codecs

• 02-11-2002 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

Is there any way to determine the audio/video codecs and .avi file uses, without actually having the codec already installed?

I've the latest Divx installed, and no matter which Divx file I run, it will allways tell me its a divx 5.02 file. There are a few scattered files I have that wont play audio because I don't have the right audio codec..yet I have no idea what codec its looking for, and it wont autoget it in Windows Media Player either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Er, ya I have those. That still doesn't tell me what codecs these avis use. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I've tried that before, and I just tried the latest build. It crashes WMP on me on startup everytime.
    I use the divx codecs from divx.com which seems to work fine on top of the default codecs. I still come across the occasional avi or mpg that it wont read though:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Perhaps it's in OGG Vorbis format? It's getting more and more popular cause it's free and open source. It's available on that link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

One thing I forgot about that is a possibility is, if you have Winamp installed, drag the AVI file into it's playlist and play it. If it plays the audio (it will probably do so with some screeching, so keep it down low), then right-click the file in the playlist editor and select "File Info". It should give you some info on what codec it's using and the bitrate.

As Winamp uses a lot of its own codecs, there is a possibility of this working even if the codec isn't system-installed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Get a program called GSpot, which tells you the audio and video codecs used to encode AVIs. i'll try and attach it, it's only 95k or so. If the attachment works, just unzip the file to anywhere - no installation needed - then run it and browse for the file with the unknown codecs. Hope it helps.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just an aside on DivX codecs. The first widely-used DivX codec, version 3.11 contained an illegal Microsoft hack. The next version, 4.x had the hacked codec missing, and DivX version 5 was forced to include a piece of code that, when installed, disabled the illegal hack. It's possible that the video of an AVI is encoded in DivX5 and the audio part in DivX3.11. If this is the case, and you should be able to see it with GSpot, you'll need to install version 3.11 after version 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by pickarooney
    Get a program called GSpot, which tells you the audio and video codecs used to encode AVIs. i'll try and attach it, it's only 95k or so. If the attachment works, just unzip the file to anywhere - no installation needed - then run it and browse for the file with the unknown codecs. Hope it helps.

Thats just very very sweet. This has helped so much, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Aye, thats exactly what I was looking for.

Three cheers for pickarooney! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

thanks for that pickarooney - might come in useful in the future

Advertisement