Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retailers to keep AWAY from

• 02-11-2002 2:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

At the top of this forum there is a sticky thread showing loads of places to go and get stuff cheaply ... I suggest that there be the opposite of this as well i.e. places to avoid like the plague!!

Obviously I have just been burned and to save anyone else the same fate I'd like to see the companys name shamed: its wwww.big008.comm (boards.ie code is automatically making the link :mad: , I dont want a working link to these jackasses)

The story goes like this...
    Looked on ebay for a router ... found a USR 8000, looked like the business, emailed the guy about shipping, got an answer telling me that on their website they sell it for $5 less ... I'll have that I thought and proceeded to pay him through paypal, not a peep from him since .. money is gone .. I dont think that paypal will do anything to help me .. I have sent LOADS of emails inquiring about the product I ordered (it is now nearly 40 days since I paid for it) .. guy is still putting up the same routers on ebay

Basically I'm out of pocket and the guy is ignoring me ... even IF (big if) it did actually get lost in the post he should at least answer emails from customers ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Would it not be better just not to use Ebay??

I know i never will, its like the global Buy and Sell :)

kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Ebay user in getting ripped off by random stranger with no comeback shocker!

Stop the presses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

indeed, and the fact that your username is bigEejit makes this all the funnier. Ebay is possibly the dodgiest way to buy stuff online, though it cheap and with a huge range. You just have to be very careful....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

There's so many bad retailers, it's just so much easier to name the good 'uns :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I find ebay fine for buying stuff. Just make sure the seller has good feedback (and lots of it).

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ACE OwNz J0oO!!

Stay away from compustore because all of the sound cards were half open and parts were missing from the one we were about to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ebay state very specifically that if you're contacted off-site by someone selling something that their buyer protection thingie doesn't apply. Obviously the guy you paid is out to make a quick buck knowing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Ebay state very specifically that if you're contacted off-site by someone selling something that their buyer protection thingie doesn't apply. Obviously the guy you paid is out to make a quick buck knowing this.

I was actually contacted through ebay by them (after I contacted them to find out about shipping)... they have a positive feedback of 3500+, a few negative (basically people werent shipped what they expected/thought they were ordering) .. These guys obviously are using their good feedback ratings to scam people outside of ebay .. I would not buy stuff on ebay from someone with a just few good feedbacks, thats why I thought I would be okay with a guy who had 3500+ positive feedbacks..
    Ebay user in getting ripped off by random stranger with no comeback shocker!
    I have bought loads of stuff on ebay with absolutely no probs and saved loads compared to the best in Ireland... you and I know that you can get stuff (not everything, just some stuff) in shops in the US for cheaper than any retailer can get the stuff wholesale in europe (e.g. that router ... dabs have it for stg£90 and I found a few online stores that will sell it inside the US for us$50 with free shipping (they dont ship internationally though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I'd keep away from http://www.peats.ie - I don't want to be accused of libel, so I'll say nothing more :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I b&s on ebay and have never had a problem, you can generally spot the dodgy bast's a mile away.

It was rather silly of you paying through paypal, you obviously have a credit card, why not pay with that, by faxing/phoning in your details.

At least then you would have been covered on your cc.

Did you consider ringing the company, surely they have a no. on the site or one which they registered with for ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

www.scan.co.uk - they smell of wee. Decent prices at first glance, but they seem to like fúcking their irish customers over a barrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

My own pet hate is Sucm.co.uk (sorry scan)! I'm sure theres plenty of people out there who agree with me.

In the course of one order I got faulty gear (especially a HDD)

- it took over a month to even get a proper customer care response. Their phone numbers didn't work and there was no response to customer care mails. The only reason I got anything is that I managed to find one of their managers e-mail addresses.

- the replacement they shipped was the a 40Gig instead of a 60Gig

- then they suggested refunding the difference (minus the 20 quid difference between purchase price and market value)

- Evwentually they agreed to take back the 40 Gig'er and replaced it with a working drive after I asked for a full refund for the drive.

- They ignored my refund request.

I have a good few friends who bought at around the same time - they all got faulty stuff and some of them have never managed to get replacements.

Complete bástards and after that experience I've always made a point of directing people away from them.

Theres a lot of other people on boards who got shafted by them too.

<edit>
    Oh, and the bastards had the barefaced cheek to slap two extra charges on my credit card for delivery
    . Sizeable charges at that.</edit>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

has anybody heard of Datacom online? Just got an advert from them. Based in cork. also ahas anybody bought of the esb
    thanks
    gonk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I find ebay fine for buying stuff. Just make sure the seller has good feedback (and lots of it).

Same here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Originally posted by gonker
    also ahas anybody bought of the esb
    thanks
    gonk

ESB shops normally have very high prices, and low specs so bad value for money. Check everywhere else first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    I'd keep away from http://www.peats.ie - I don't want to be accused of libel, so I'll say nothing more :)

You cant say a thing like that and not give some details... If its personal experience it cant be libal. Even a "hypothetical story" would do!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ye ive had a lot of probloms with scan ive given up now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

I think il jump on the scam i mean scan.co.uk band waggon.

bad experiences ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Stay away from compustore because all of the sound cards were half open and parts were missing from the one we were about to buy.

I work for them but even so, if the box is open at the VERY LEAST check the contents.

Personally i don't buy anything less than a sealed box unless there is a massive discount.

b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by Saruman
    You cant say a thing like that and not give some details... If its personal experience it cant be libal. Even a "hypothetical story" would do!!

This is re http://www.peats.ie

OK - I bought a 56k external modem about 4 years ago or so from them. I was told if I had any problems with it, I'd get my money back, or I could exchange it for something else.

Fine, I thought. I bought it - hooked it up - the modem was as dead as a turkey at Christmas. As I lived quite close to the shop, I nipped in, with a copy of my receipt, met the guy who I spoke to before, and told him the story.

"What do you want me to do about it?" I asked for my money back - not a bloody chance. I was the first complaint they had received, and no, he wouldn't test it in the shop because he had other people to see. And no, I couldn't leave it over the weekend, and get him to check it out, and no, I couldn't get a replacement..

"Tough sh*t"

Apart from the fact that that was my first and last dealing with Peats, I since checked out their prices on a lot of goods, and see that they make no bones about screwing (overcharging) at every available opportunity.

Is that enough, Saruman?

BTW, nothing hypothetical here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I bought a board from maplin a year ago
    and I seen the same board for 50quid cheaper

I brought it back 2 days later unopened - still in package
    and they told me I couldn't get my money back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    This is re http://www.peats.ie

OK - I bought a 56k external modem about 4 years ago or so from them. I was told if I had any problems with it, I'd get my money back, or I could exchange it for something else.

Fine, I thought. I bought it - hooked it up - the modem was as dead as a turkey at Christmas. As I lived quite close to the shop, I nipped in, with a copy of my receipt, met the guy who I spoke to before, and told him the story.

"What do you want me to do about it?" I asked for my money back - not a bloody chance. I was the first complaint they had received, and no, he wouldn't test it in the shop because he had other people to see. And no, I couldn't leave it over the weekend, and get him to check it out, and no, I couldn't get a replacement..

"Tough sh*t"

Apart from the fact that that was my first and last dealing with Peats, I since checked out their prices on a lot of goods, and see that they make no bones about screwing (overcharging) at every available opportunity.

- Small Claims Court. You had every right to bring that further to management or to the courts. If they see people backing down like that they'll try it again. :rolleyes:

I had a problem with a mobo I bought off komplett.ie and they phoned me to ask if I wanted a refund or replacement. If only more places were like this, they'd get stronger consumer loyalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Originally posted by hussey
    I bought a board from maplin a year ago
    and I seen the same board for 50quid cheaper

I brought it back 2 days later unopened - still in package
    and they told me I couldn't get my money back

If there was nothing wrong with it, why should they refund you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

well they had a 'See a product elsewhere cheaper we will match it'
    and I told them about the company that sold it
    and they just wouldn't gave me some dribble about the company not being near them and the rule only applied to companys nearby
    i.e. peats + dixons (though they didn't name them they just said local shops)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭LizardKing

www.buy4now.ie - in the satellite sports section

went thru site and picked out runners , 2tops , a jersey , trousers then ordered them.

about a week later , emailed to see how order was gettin on..

got reply sayin they only had runners in stock and did I want to just order them and leave the other stuff.

I said they should have had out of stock notices on website and could have mailed me with details of waiting times etc.

I cancelled order and went to Town for stuff ... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I feel a bit embarrased now ... the router that I ordered from www.big008.com that I was giving out about at the start of this thread arrived today .... 49 days after it had been shipped ... I am not joking, 49 days ... that was airmail from B.C. Canada .. it was not opened at any stage (all original sellotape still intact) .. it even had a customs declaration stuck to the outside that had not been touched ... frankly I'm amazed I got it at all, I'm just wondering where did it get off to for that length of time??.....

And just for the record it works perfectly ... woohoo .. the canines gonads..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

When you're giving things back that you just don't like you've got to have a decent gameplan. And go in the expecting like you're going to get your money back. I bought a home network system from peats €120. I bought it on a Thursday. And as I don't live in Dublin I went back up got a refund for it. I didn't even bring in the receipt.

My advice is going in a convince them to take it back. Basically you're selling their own product back to them. Give them every reason to take it back. What was my excuse oh yeah. I wanted to use the networking system with one of my old 386s as a network gateway...but it doesn't have a PCI slot. It worked.

Hopefully there isn't anyone working in peats in here that remembers this:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Originally posted by gonker
    has anybody heard of Datacom online? Just got an advert from them. Based in cork.
    gonk

I know the datacom guys personally, do a lot of business with them here ate work in fact. they won't do you wrong.

John

[I am in no way afilliated with datacom-online.com or datacom eireann teoranta. I have had many pints with the main parties involved however]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

I have to say I dont believe a word of that story Mugger, I work in peats and I can tell ya nothing like that would be tolerated. FFS the managers serve on the counter alot of the time, Id be well sacked if I told someone 'tough ****' !

Advertisement