Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT put cap on their FRIACO

Options
  • 02-11-2002 4:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I read ads for BT's FRIACO dial-up product today with a bit of puzzlement. They were offering 150 hours/mth for £12.99, with an immediate discount to £9.99 for the first month (only).

"What the ....." was my reaction. I looked further, and it seems that the tide has turned. The U.K. have discovered the Ireland Factor. (If you get people onto a service, you can diminish it, and they will cower and say "Yassuh".)

You can find the details for yourselves, but it seems that the "overuse" argument is being used.

Interestingly, it looks as if they are trying to push people to the ADSL product. This is a no-brainer, as it offers so much more capacity that even the "Aunties" will discover the joys of broadband if exposed to it. So is our FRIACO campaign a waste of time, or must we continually slavishly follow the U.K. example, only 2-3 years later?

All the talk of €Hundreds/day for Eircon dial-up is irrelevant if the "Aunties" just dial-up for 20 mins every second day or so. Even Eircom will come to realise that the line could produce more ARPU (Average Revenue Per User) if a flat-rate service was the norm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

This was mentioned here a long time ago... There is no actual cap on FRIACO, just that BT has decided to limit their own offering. The other providers of flat rate including Tiscali and AOL UK have come out there saying they WILL NOT AND HAVE NO PLANS to introduce any caps.

The point is that in the UK you can choose from a dozen ISPs for your flat-rate 24/7 dialup access, and ONLY BT have introduced a cap like this, none of the others.

My own theory is that BT are doing this to get people to upgrade to ADSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

As Mr Weigl points out, FRIACO is the wholesale product which has no cap. It is a 24/7 capacity based service. BT are free to do what they like with their retail services but they can't stop others from offering true flat-rate. We push for FRIACO because it is the one thing competition can't sort out by itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

this is dial up right!?
    i would probably think 24/7 dial up will never be 24/7 always on.. so i can see why there is a cap..
    and if you work it out @ 150 hrs a month thats 4hrs aday 24/7 which means you can dial in to the internet anytime 24/7 with an average usage of 4hrs per day.
    The important thing which we are still waiting for here is 24/7 access!.
    Where as at the momment, the only product we have is off peak after 6pm..
    so unless you have no life :)
    an avarage of 4hrs per day for the casual user should be sufficient, and even if you rely on correspondence (email) for your business Mon-fri, that still works out at nearly an avarage of 7 hrs per day mon-fri, and since most people only work about 7.5 hrs a day or less, this should also be quite sufficiant i would think, and its 24/7 access.

Advertisement