Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pumpkins?

Options
  • 02-11-2002 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Just as a matter of intrest what are all your favourite Smashing Pumpkins songs and why you like them.
    Mine are
    Tonight, Tonight - Mainly because of the drums
    Today - It reminds me of the goodtimes ;)

Over to you in the studio

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Jeez, there's too many to mention!

I loved Thru the Eyes of Ruby off the back of MCIS.

Mayonaise is great too and for me encapsulates the feeling of youthful frustration running through Siamese Dream best of all.

To Shelia off of Adore is very disturbing yet somehow uplifting. Makes me almost want to believe in the afterlife.

Hummer reminds me of the rare sunny days in college for some reason too.

Here's to the Pumpkins! Truely a great band. History will remember them fondly.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I never liked the Smashing Pumpkins no matter how hard people tried to get me into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 vasquez

i'd have to give 12 cos well they were one of the greatest band's of all time....& never got the the credit they deserved....2 out of 12 by hotpress 4 machina....and only 9 out of 12 for siamese dream....anyway...

1. porcelina of the vast oceans (probably my fav track of all time...a rollercoaster of emotion starting with ambient darkness & finished in a cascade of feedback harmonies...glorious)

2. rocket- an amazin song believe it or not gave me a lot of hope in my late teens...i'll never 4get those words...."i shall be free"!

3. the age of innocence- very dark song the last on machina...sums humanity up really..."desolation yes, hesitation no...as you might have guessed we won't make it home"l...

4. hummer- no explanation necessary

5. - drown- the full version on singles all ten minutes of it...

6- shame - god knows how many people that song saved...you're gonna walk alone, you're gonna see this true, don't let em get to you......

7. - snail - amazin' jimmy's drums wow!! "flowers!!!" rock and ****in roll"

8- ruby - i mean to quote wilde & match him with the following lines...."my love for you just can't explain...why we are forever frozen, forever beautiful, forever lost inside ourselves"...pure genius....

9. - by starlight - beautiful, song loved it then love it still......dead eyes.....are you just like me?

10. spaced - "in vortex of lost souls ....wailin lost souls....

11. obscured - made me feel good at the worst of times.....

12- finally "glynis" an old siamese dream era song that's amazing by an amazing band.................

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

hehe, how many times have us poor Pumpkin fans been asked to record "that errr...rat in a cage song" ;]

In no particular order:

Set The Ray to Jerry
    Everything on Adore (Album works so much better as a whole. One of the best albums ever, imo.)
    Muzzle
    Bodies (Oh Lordy, my MCIS tape was almost worn thru on this track)
    Silverf*ck

..and of course all the classics, BWBW, Today, Disarm, SIYL etc etc

The list is endless tbh :]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Ever notice how roughly ever 2 months are so there is a thread on the Pumpkins.

Anyhew my favourite Pumpkin's track at the mo would have to be
    "The Airplane Flies High....."

Basically the best of their albums just for music would be Siamese Dream with great tracks such as Cherub Rock, Geek U.S.A, etc...

The best of their albums for lyrics would be Adore or Machina.

If only they produced an album with the lyric style of Adore to the music style of Siamese Dream they would of had an alltime top 10 album in anyones list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Great band.

But, no idea what my favorites would be.
    Maybe Zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

The Airplane Flys Highfrom disc two of the Greastest Hits Cd....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

definetely have to be zero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

disarm + tonight tonight :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Siamese Dream is one of my favourite albums of all time and Smashing Pumpkins will always be in my top ten bands.

Favourite songs: Pretty much anything from Siamese Dream - especially Today and Soma. I Am One is a cool tune from Gish. Mellon Collie had some greats - Porcelina, Zero, Bullet, Bodies (used to wake me up on a Friday morning in college), XYU, etc...

I took a while to gt used to the idea of Adore and Machina (but I was on the right wavelength for Machina II), but I did and I do enjoy a lot. I really like Adore and Everlasting Gaze. Machina II's got some goodies too - Soul Power (James Brown), White Spider and Crash Car Star come to mind.

I'm glad I did get to see them live at least once (the "bad" gig in the Point Depot).

Did anyone see a documentary on them that was on Network 2 about a year ago (maybe longer)? It was amazing. A bunch of my mates and I were sitting around watching it and they way they launched into Mellon Collie was cool - it was all these people and music industry execs saying how it was "career suicide" to be trying to launch a double album, they'd never pull it off, after the moderatly good success of Siamese Dream, they should have a rock solid single disc album etc. The screen cut to black and then it started with "The world is a vampire..." which basically said "Fuck you boyos - we rule!" My mates and I had a rather dreamy reminiscent moment where we all thought back to when we heard that song first and the impact it had on us - quite funny actualy :)

Anyway, Smashing Pumpkins - top band - dearly missed - but I think any further offerngs might just have been slightly pushing it. Billy reckons they couldn't have released another album without it being complete pants for whatever reasons.

Anyone know whatever happened to D'arcy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Porcelina, Rhinocerous and Tonight Tonight would have to be my faves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

D'arcy also got some plastic surgery done to her lips which fucked them up seriously.

As for Corgan and Chamberlain, they have formed a band called Zwan and bootlegs of their gigs are freely available on the net.

James Iha also pursued a solo career. He released an album called Let Me Down or something like that, I have it somewhere and it isn't too bad to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Muirthile
    <nitpicking>
    "Chamberlin" not "Chamberlain"
    </nitpicking>

Was that reeeally necessary?
    Originally posted by Kharn
    My mates and I had a rather dreamy reminiscent moment where we all thought back to when we heard that song first and the impact it had on us

I remember where I was when I first heard "Today", 'cos it was the song that made me realise there was life outside football :]

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

stopped listening to them as soon as i stopped being an angsty teenager.

wish i could find someone to give my albums too.
    i think they are crap now.

god, like REM, shut up will you and stop with the whinging already!

My god, don't you ever think of the Third World?
    They've got Angsty children too, you know?
    Give your Pumpkins CDs to Charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Pep

My favourite song has to be In The Arms Of Sleep, cos it reminds me of someone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

my favourites are sweet sweet,soma and crestfallen.
    also the bside medallia of the grey skies is an excellent song

• Registered Users Posts: 10 PointyTeeth

Theres a b-side on the I Am One 12" thats excellent - Starla or Soma or something I think its called.

Gish and Siamese Dream are excellent but they turned into corporate whores after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭rubyseyes

corporate whores? eh how...cos they became the biggest rock band on the planet in 96...man they never sold their souls and adore proved that...corgan always planned to do a double cd concept album which could have easily flopped i mean these days usually double cd's **** things up completely...but they pulled it off it was the f***in' wall of the 90's & fair play to em....we will never see their like again....if u want corporate whore turn on mtv.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Pep

Gish and Siamese Dream are excellent but they turned into corporate whores after that.

If they did how do you explain them giving away their last album away for free on the internet surely they would have just released it the usual way even if their own record company wouldnt do it for them, many other companies would have released it for them.

• Advertisement

You should all listen to A Perfect Circle. Fantastic band started by Billy Howerdel, who was Billy Corgan's guitar tech, and Maynard James Keenan from Tool. They also had an excellent video directed by David Fincher, that is seriously breath-taking. I was remind about them when I got that video just recently. Frankly, they really should have been HUGE, but they kinda flopped. Pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ross_k

hey, this is my first post on this board, hope you don't mind! As far as great pumpkins songs, here's my two favourite tracks, at the moment,...

There's a b-side on stand inside your love called Speed Kills, it's a different version than on machina 2. There was a lot more effort in producing this verion, but it sounds fantastic.

And Shame on the adore album, is such a great track.

~Ross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭rubyseyes

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    You should all listen to A Perfect Circle. Fantastic band started by Billy Howerdel, who was Billy Corgan's guitar tech, and Maynard James Keenan from Tool. They also had an excellent video directed by David Fincher, that is seriously breath-taking. I was remind about them when I got that video just recently. Frankly, they really should have been HUGE, but they kinda flopped. Pity.

i got the judith single after i heard it ...its amazing...saw the vid on super rock ages ago was amazing...paz is in corgans band now zwan..

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Congoose

My favourite pumpkins song is Thirty-three. Luna is the one I like most off Siamese Dream. Porcelina is another one I listen to all the time, that feedback solo at the end is amazing.

It doesn't seem to be too popular, but I think Beautiful is a class song as well, especially that change in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ross_k

Originally posted by Muirthile
    Is this the same ross_k that used to haunt AMS-P from time to time?

that's right, havn't seen you there recently? I really just lurk at amsp, well because there's about 10 people who post there properly, and that's it, not a lot of discussion anymore.

More likely to be found at www.zwan.com nowadays.

Lads, there's a PM service there for a reason.
    Use it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

heard A Perfect Circle are goin back in to record new album quite soon.

mayonnaise
    siva
    ode to noone

dregin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Originally posted by AngelWhore

dont worry they will be big in a couple of albums time and hmv et all will start to import their "rare" debut album for a "COUPLE" of quid more than a normal cd.

really they deserve to be massive. realistically i think maynard would find it difficult to front two of the biggest rock bands in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Chada

bullet with butterfly wings
    tonight tonight
    not a big pumpkins fan mainly because m8s play them all the time .. gets a bit sickening after a while imho :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

Vanity, from Machina II. Theres an acoustic version floating about there. Google it. Galapogos is another personal favourite. Their cover of Landslide from Pisces Iscariot is another favourite. I don't know though, I've become a one man band after becoming encapsulated by them since Adore. Zwan's first single, Honestly, is up for streaming download on Zwan.com. Mary Star of the Sea should be out in late January too. It should be excellent.

Advertisement