Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a third Hard Drive...

• 02-11-2002 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I've got two HDD (total cap 13Gb) at the mo but I'm concerned about running out of space in the next few months, so was wondering about ading a third, but is this possible my start up script shows the two disks as Master and Slave with the CDRW as secondary master and Zip drive as secondary slave, will I have to junk the zip to accomodate another drive?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Assuming you've only got two IDE connectors on your motherboard then you're going to have to sacrifice either the CDR or the zip to add a third hard drive.

Personally I'd keep them on it and just replace one of the existing HDD's (not the one with Windows on it) with a substantially bigger one and transfer the data over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Why don't you just replace one of your existing drives with a drive of higher capacity?

But if you REALLY want to have three, yeh you'll have to get rid of one of the other drives or buy a HD controller card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

or you could get a pci scsi card and whack in a nice 'n' fast scsi hard drive. you will have all your old stuff working to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thanks for the replies, I dont want to get into transferes so I'll just junk the zip drive. My CDRW has already made it pretty much redundant.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

You might consider losing one of your existing drives. They have feck all capacity compared to a new 80 or 120 gig drive. You could plug out the zip temporarily, transfer stuff across to the new drive, ( not very difficult ) Then plug out one of your old drives and back in with the zip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Gerry
    ..You could plug out the zip temporarily, transfer stuff across to the new drive, ( not very difficult ) Then plug out one of your old drives and back in with the zip.

I never thought of that! Thats why I post here! :)

Mike.

Advertisement