Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are velvetron any good?

Options
  • 02-11-2002 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

saw poster up last week in road records this act called velvetron were playin' .the name seems interestin' kinda 80's ish are they/him/her worth checkin out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i dont know, do they get played by phantom at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

They are pretty good, yeah. I've only seen them once and I've been meaning to go see them again but I'm never able to make it. (Sorry Paul!) Their EP is in Tower and it's only E3.99 or something. Worth buying if u wanna hear something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

yep they are pretty good alright, its a refreshing change to see someone trying to do something a bit different, do a very impressive sisters of mercy cover too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i gave u a reply on the rock/metal forum, so check it out

splinters, i used refreshing to describe them too, great minds think alike (and fools seldom differ :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭sodiumlightbaby

They sound really good from how I have heard them described and how the main guy described his band on this forum last week whilst looking for a keybass player....

i'm def gonna check them out next time they play......

we need more of this stuff...

forget all that folky/singer songwriter crap....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

i saw em a while back...i was impressed...a few technical difficulties but the dude (paul methinks from sandi's post) was there on his own...doing everything...very interesting, very original music....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nessy

saw velvetron last wednesday - supporting DRAT (who happen to be excellent) in TBMC, definitely different and worth having a listen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

DRAT....i hear that they are ex-watercress...

watercress were a good band...often wondered what had happened to them...now i know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 minipixel

www.doubledrat.net .....for all your DRAT needs

a lovely site, even if i do say so myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Morn

Wish the same coulda been said for Velvetron tho - nearly drove me from the gig before I could even see Drat - luckily my faith held and Drat played a spectular set - very unlike Watercress while still being equally fabulous.

Velvetron was just distinctly lacking - I'm not against out-there bands - the act just before - Oxygen Kiosk - were just as obscure but very cool. With Velvetron however there was just no structure, no unity to the songs (I use the term loosely).
    I do intend to go buy the EP as it has been reccommended - but the live act was a painful experience...

Maybe some things just shouldn't be heard outside of a cd player?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

That's not very nice! Hmm...maybe it was just a bad day. You get the odd off-day every so often. Glad to hear you're gonna get the EP anyway, but don't blame me if you don't like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭rubyseyes

i agree...it was a bad gig...i had no choice cos emma quit the day b4 so i was left high and dry...so there ya go.....well back 2 full strenght now (nearly) playin' the international bar 2moro nite.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

hmm, the time i saw velvetron and oxygen kiosk i preferred velvetron. maybe it was an off night. they play a lot of gigs together, i believe theyre mates.

Advertisement