Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phil Lynott Monument

Options
  • 02-11-2002 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

I heard recently that a monument had been erected recently for the late great Dermot Morgan. Its great to see official civic recognition for our creative artists but I can't help but think that Phil Lynott has been cruely over looked for such an honour for so long.Perhaps its because he was black and a heroin addict and spoke in a flat Dublin accent?

Rory Gallagher was honoured by fellow Corkonians with a square and a really cool monument within 2 years of his death (as well as a Parisian street name and a back lane in Temple Bar!) but nothing for Philo who was a true ambassador to Ireland and a major factor in putting Ireland on the Rock music map.

Its great that he's been put on a stamp but I think that something more lasting should be done to honour his memory.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I totally agree, the guy was an amazing musician and he should be given the credit he deserves, like you said he did really put Ireland on the map for music, he was around before U2 and Therapy? and all the other great musicans from Ireland. Just because he had an unfortunate death makes no difference

Advertisement