Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exemptions Q.

• 02-11-2002 7:56pm

2 things:

1. Has anyone here been entitled to an exemption from Irish?

2.How do you qualify for one?

I've lived abroad for 5 years, but I was born in Ireland.

Tnx.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

If your dyslexic or didnt start learning irish until a certain age.

Chances are you aint exempt from it otherwise you wouldnt be asking these questions .

Dont be lazy, you only need a pass in irish to get into like 4 universitys the rest english will do .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 alex122

For anyone who was born outside Ireland.. you are exempt from Irish.

The only Univserities which you need a pass in Irish for - NUI College (UCD,UCC,UCG, NUI Maynooth) give an exemption to anyone born outside Ireland.

It doesn't matter how long it was before coming to Ireland. In my case I was born in the States and moved to Ireland when I was 3 months old. I still got an exemption from NUI cos I was born outside the country.

Definately something worth checking out if this applies to you. My guidance councillor didn't know much about it but now she does.

No point scrapping a pass in Irish when you don't need to put the effort in - gives you more time for your important subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

whats happens if im forced to do it and want to do foundation, would foundation level be ok for college?
    i was born here and lived here all my life but i dont know a word:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 alex122

Unfortunately none of the main Irish Colleges recognise Foundation Level Irish as a proper leaving cert subject. I'm not sure but maybe plcs accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

cartman - if you were born here and lived here all your life there's no chance you'll get an exemption unless you're fairly severely dyslexic. tough **** man, you're gonna have to have a go at it, coz like alex122 said most university colleges wont accept foundation level irish or foundation level maths. its really not that difficult, ask your teacher they should be able to give you a hand.

jabba - depends on when you lived abroad, if it was important years in your schooling. i have a friend who went to a private primary school that didn't actually teach irish and she didn't start learning until she changed school when she was 10/11, but she still had to start from scratch. however im presuming if you missed from something like 5th class to 4th year, you missed a hell of alot more and may be able to get an exemption. are you currently doing irish? if so talk to your teacher. if not check with a guidance counsellour or something, they should be able to tell you whether you can obtain an exemption or not...

• Advertisement

Tnx for the info. Unfortunatley I came back for 5th class onwards :/. I guess I'm just being really lazy but I really could'nt be bothered doing it. If I can squeez an exemption I will :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

My brother missed 4th,5th and 6th class as we lived abroad for a few years and he was given an exemption from irish. So i'd say you are probably eligible for one.

Advertisement