Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

query about FTA digibox from ebay

• 03-11-2002 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

I'm strongly considering purchasing one of these within the next month and I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with:

What make/model of digibox should I be looking for considering I just want FTA channels.
    How much should I be paying for it with a FTA card included
    If I get one of these boxes with a FTA card already mated to the box is it a matter of just plugging it into the mains and waiting for the box to pick up the stations or will I have to plug it in to a phone line?
    Have you come accross any good sellers on ebay, if so what is their name or handle so I can look for them.
    As some of these sellers are in the business of selling boxes overseas are they flexible enough for me to be able to request a box with a Northern Ireland FTA card already mated to it.
    Is Sky news part of the FTA package - I was able to recieve it on a DVB card pointed to 19.2 so I'm wondering if it is FTA on 28 degrees.

I'm planning to put a good aerial in the attic to pick up the local stations and I'm already getting a good reception for local stations with a TV Portable aerial so I'll have a good selection of TV stations between the digibox and via aerial.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Chances are you'll get the Free to View card from the region of the seller. Sky will be introducing new cards in the new year and the old ones will be phased out, so to pay extra on Ebay for an FTV card at the moment wouldn't be worth it. You won't have to plug the box into a phone line, it works fine without it. The only things you'll need to plug it into is the power, your dish and your TV and you're off. Make sure your card is in and the digibox will install all the channels for you automatically.

Avoid any boxes by Amstrad. I had one and it gave me nothing but grief. It crashed often and the card readers didn't work. After that the tuner in it broke. At the moment I have a PACE 2500, which I am very satisfied with. I've also heard that Panasonic DSB30/DSB31 models are very good. Also, make sure when you get the box that you keep it in a well ventilated area. (ie not in some shelf crammed between your telly and video). The boxes tend to be prone to overheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Sky News is available with an FTV card.

As Lennoxchips has already pointed out, new cards are being phased in (expected to be completed in the New Year). It hasn't been made clear yet whether the replacement of cards will extend to FTV cards as well as subscription cards, but in the absence of any info, it's best to assume that the FTV cards will be replaced too.

This means that any FTV card you get now may become useless when it's replacement is issued to whatever address was used to obtain your card.

As it's highly unlikely that the sellers will forward all replacement cards to their digibox buyers, it's advisable to wait until all the new cards are issued (and make sure that the card you get then is a new card and not an old which is still temporarily working).

In terms of using E-Bay, it's a very good idea to check the seller's previous auctions and any reviews that their buyers may have posted. If someone is slow to deliver, or regularly sends wrong or damaged goods, you'll find out very quickly from the reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭sergeant121

Originally posted by Mailman
    What make/model of digibox should I be looking for considering I just want FTA channels.
    You are obviously uncertain about FTA and FTV. FTA channels can be received without a card of any sort. FTV channels require a 'BBC card' (no equivalent in ROI).

THIS may help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭sergeant121

Oops, double post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

I know the difference between FTA and FTV thanks to a couple of months using DVB card without CAM slot. Assume I mean FTV where ever I typed in FTA except for reference to Sky News on 19.2.

So, apart from Amstrad, any brand should be OK?

The info. about new cards was v. helpful and means I'll probably struggle on with terrestrial until the New Year if the cards are about to be replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I would suggest trying your best to get a Panasonic digibox. These have faster EPG's and stuff and don't seem to crash as much as others. Pace are good but their ZIF tuners are a bit dodgy. Avoid early/all Amstrad boxes. Not too sure about Grundigs as i've never installed them, but do try getting a Panasonic if at all possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by Charles Slane
    Sky News is available with an FTV card.

As Lennoxchips has already pointed out, new cards are being phased in (expected to be completed in the New Year). It hasn't been made clear yet whether the replacement of cards will extend to FTV cards as well as subscription cards, but in the absence of any info, it's best to assume that the FTV cards will be replaced too.

This means that any FTV card you get now may become useless when it's replacement is issued to whatever address was used to obtain your card.

Charles

Just got 2 new FTV cards and I can confirm they are still the old type cards so maybe they are not replacing FTV cards.

James

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Well, in any case, they're not yet replacing them..

BTW, just to clarify one point, Sky News is available without a card, FTV or Sky sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

So, this means that with a Sky DigiBox and Dish, but without a subscription, one can have access to all these channels with an FTV card?

I know that the box and dish are more expensive without the subscription, but, these are mostly the channels that I am interested in, and the comparison of maybe €300 euro more installation compared to €27 per month in subscription seems reasonably attractive.

It also seems to deal with the problem of UTV, C4 not being available.

Am I right in saying that any UK resident (like my brother) can get an FTV card free of charge, which will work here?

I am convinced I'm missing a major catch. ??

Ro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Mailman - If your thinking about buying from ebay give me a shout. I maybe able to do a better deal than you will get from eBay for a decoder and married FTV card. Send me a PM if interested.

The best digiboxes to get are Panasonics and Sony's but these tend to be much more expensive as they have a better tuner than your normal run of the mill. Due to this they are very popular with sky customers in Spain ect.

I usually deal in Pace, Grundigs and Amstrads. All are fine but I hear there are some problems with Pace power supplies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

PM sent.

Advertisement