Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Me and my FTA Card

• 03-11-2002 1:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭

having got my FTA Card a couple of months ago.I feel it watch more on the FTA card than i do the Sky. I am away at college during the week but when i go home on friday i pop the FTA card in and it stays in until after Have I Got News For You.

Today i had ity in to listen to the Liverpool game on 5Live Xtra and last week Liverpool were on 5 Live.Better than watching somebody watch a game.why cant we get matchday coverage at 3pm if its shown in Ireland the attendance is not going to be low in England.Thats the only reason they dont show live saturday matches.

If i had my way and i could get it set up i would have 5Live commentary on Sky Sports matches and have the mute button on.

I just love Alan Green commentary its the best he tells it like it is. When the BBC has interactive coverage on i use the 5Live commentary.

I dont use my Sky card only to watch movies and sports and maybe the odd documentary on Discovery.

I would use it less if we didnt pull down the terresterial aerial when RTE came on. The picture was crap.

So I just like to thank this Forum 1. for letting me post here. 2. for telling how to get a FTA card. 3. And finally for keeping me update to date on whatever happens.

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

At the moment I have a digibox with no card at all. All I get is shopping channels and Sky News. Stop making me jealous!

Although I do have BBC 6 Music blasting through the stereo most of the day. At least that's free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

At least Lennoxchips you get more channels than a Cancelled ROI sub card...
    And you get a nice EPG with only the channels that work instead of inflated nonsense you get with any Active sub card or FTV card.

There ought to be a campain for ROI FTV card for ROI TV. So many people in this country have NEVER had a good picture and never will on terrestrial.

I refuse to pay extra for ROI family pack to have RTE etc on this principle.

All Irish users should downgrade to Knowledge pack for 2 months as protest! (Even folks in first year can do this). Or cancel and get a UK FTV card.

I have contacted RTE regarding poor signal here and they rang back and verbally abused my wife.

I phoned and emailed also regarding Sky deal and lack of RTE FTV and they have attidute that price is NOTHING to do with tem, it is up to Sky and anyone wanting more than RTE will have a Family Pack anyway...

What arrogant nonsense. They seem to think Satellite is just another Cable system.

I get all the German & Itallian & UK terrestrial TV free.
    I have 750 FREE TV and Radio by satellite.

All I get from RTE is abuse, a poor terrestrial signal and TELETEXT only on satellite on my Digital PVR system.

You all do realise that our own National TV is not available on the four or 5 sub packages cheaper than Family pack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I want an FTV card. Someone give me an FTV card, I'm dieing without my BBC Choice/Four fixes :(

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well I could offer you an already-paired card but it will only give you ITV1, Channel 4 and five. All BBC TV channels and 5 Live would be blocked. hmm as you want BBC Choice it won't be any good to ya! (making me wonder why I posted!):rolleyes:

You just ring and tell them (FTV centre number) you changed the box. Give them new box details from System setting screen... Hay preto BBC work

• Advertisement
    byte

Yes, but note that I don't know the name and address of who the card was issued to. So, when ya ring FTV centre, and they ask for confirmation of name and address, ya'd be stumped!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darby OGill

Have to agree totally with the points made by irishgeo. I have my FTV card three weeks now, and it is the best little bit of plastic in the world. :D

I was never a Sky subscriber, and I don't think it's worth the money. Sure I miss some of the live football, but with all the Champions League coverage, the various Premiership programmes, MOTD and additional coverage on Five (plus Scottish football on Grampian yesterday!), I get my fix. I also enjoyed the Five Live commentary on Liverpool v Wast Ham on Saturday.The Sky movie packages are too dear, and repeated too often in my opinion.

I would agree that having to look at all the channel listings on the EPG when using the FTV card is a pain , but a small price to pay. I would like to be able to remove all that info., and in particular the adult channel listings, as I have small kids. I have the parental control set to PG, which blocked out Casper yesterday. :rolleyes:
    In any case, I use the Favourites button all the time.

Originally posted by irishbyte
    hmm as you want BBC Choice it won't be any good to ya! (making me wonder why I posted!):rolleyes:

Dang! Thanks anyway :( I'll just have to ban you all until someone coughs up one...

I didn't realise the FTV card listed all the channels in the EPG, including the ones you don't receive. That's pretty cheeky of Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darby OGill

I imagine it's Sky's very subtle way of showing you what you're missing by not subscribing. It's irritating, but not as annoying (for me anyway) as the very user-unfriendly Other Channels procedure.

BUT, none of these minor quibbles should take from the fantastic service the FTV card allows us to avail of. After several years without the Beeb (my last house had cable), I still think the quality of their programmes is amazing. You only have to look at Five to see how far ahead they are of the competition.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I get BBC 1&2 here on cable. They're by far the two channels I watch the most.

I agree about the other channels. I tried using the Digibox to tune in stations on Hotbird and it was a right pain in the arse.

byte

Originally posted by Cloud
    Dang! Thanks anyway :( I'll just have to ban you all until someone coughs up one...

Have you tried eBay? There was a company (westsat) up until a month or so ago selling FTV cards for UK£20, IIRC. Maybe you'd be better waiting until the new viewing cards are issued (though it's believed that it won't happen until after Christmas).

The only pain I have is swapping cards. I do think it will knacker the card reader at some stage! :rolleyes:

Yeah no luck irishbyte, will have to dig up an auld relation.

Have you tried eBay? There was a company (westsat) up until a month or so ago selling FTV cards for UK£20, IIRC. Maybe you'd be better waiting until the new viewing cards are issued (though it's believed that it won't happen until after Christmas).

The only pain I have is swapping cards. I do think it will knacker the card reader at some stage! :rolleyes:
    A second Digibox eases card reader wear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Have you tried eBay? There was a company (westsat) up until a month or so ago selling FTV cards for UK£20, IIRC.

Can't seem to find someone selling a card without a box (but perhaps I've not been looking hard enough) - westsat seem to have dropped out of the FTV card business.

I guess I'll wait till after Christmas rather than go through the hassle again.

Advertisement