Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

extremely odd 2 euro coin

• 03-11-2002 2:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

I was just looking thru my change and found a VERY strange 2 euro coin, on the back on the gold part is a picture of a man with glasses, and on the front it doesn't say 2Eur with a small map of europe.. instead if has 2 elephants in front of this temple with a small tree behind each elephant..
    I collect euro coins from all the countries in europe,, so i take notice to these things.. but this has me very confused.. there is no english text on it anywhere or date or anything but i'm positive it's a 2 euro coin because its the same shape, size, everything and i got it as change in a shop

any ideas where its from?
    Thanks
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Sounds Indian.
    It's not a €2 coin anyway, so you're down 2 yo-yos.
    The old 10 franc coin (I think it's 10) is also very similar to a €2 coin, same size and colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

If i handed u this coin.. you would be sure its a euro coin
    Everything about it is the same as the 2 euro coin.. EXACT same size gold/silver circles etc..
    Hmm come to think of it the guy on the back kinda looks like a (young) dalai lama, probably indian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think the Thai 10 baht coin (worth approximately shag all) is very similar to a 2 euro coin. Perhaps that's what you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Strange.

Pics of all the 2 euro coins (even the extra ones) are here. Is it one of those?

• Advertisement

sceptre
    nope it's none of those.. :confused:
    I think the Thai 10 baht coin (worth approximately shag all)
    I swear you could pass this off as a 2 euro coin in any shop.. interesting

Just found this site while searching for baht coin pictures on google..
    http://taipeitimes.com/news/2002/01/28/story/0000121827
    It's the exact same coin pictured on that site, it's worth E0.26 and can be used in euro vending machines as a E2 coin !!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Unless it's this one:
    10baht1.gif10baht2.gif

(that'd be the 10 baht coin mentioned by Dave & Stephen - worth a nice 26 cents over here)

Hmm
    There must be a few versions of the 10 baht coin
    This is the one I have:
    20020127200849.jpeg
    Thx for replies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

heh, hey remember when they introduced the Irish £1 coin, they were the exact same size/weight as coins which were used previously in the country from years ago, can't remeber what they were...possibly old 2p coins ??? Anyway My Granny still had a load of them and I was in Dublin airport filling the cig machines with them !!! hee hee free fags !*

*=Note, I do not condone any forms of fraud !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 neiko

I need to get these Indian coins.. where can I get em!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by Dr. Dre
    heh, hey remember when they introduced the Irish £1 coin, they were the exact same size/weight as coins which were used previously in the country from years ago, can't remeber what they were...possibly old 2p coins ??? Anyway My Granny still had a load of them and I was in Dublin airport filling the cig machines with them !!! hee hee free fags !*

*=Note, I do not condone any forms of fraud !

The old pennies. I used that trick many a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

I need to get these Indian coins.. where can I get em!!

India!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

You could also get away with handing in old 10ps as £1 coins. Only sometimes though.
    Also old 5p looked like the new 10ps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

A guy in college in Coleraine was telling me how him and his friends used to go out to Donegal and get 10p coins, glue two together and use them in machines as one pound sterling coins :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Found meself a nice €2 coin. Thing is its got 50c printed on it. €€€€€€€€€€€. Got it stashed now, gonna give it a few years to go up in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

One of the portuguese coins looks remarkably like a two euro aswell, I have spent quite a few of them in shops round here and nobody has noticed a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Just after the changeover period one was still able to use 2p coins in machines and have them act as 2 euro coins. Also before the changover one could use the 50 escudo piece (approx 20p) and have it act as a pound coin in most if not all machines.

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    One of the portuguese coins looks remarkably like a two euro aswell, I have spent quite a few of them in shops round here and nobody has noticed a thing.
    Portugal use the euro too ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Those Baht coins were discussed here before the Euro came out. It was feared even back then that they'd be used in vending machines as 2 Euro's so some of the bigger companies were to install a device that would detect the difference in magnetic quality as the weight and size is 'nearly' the same. I think some have done this as I've heard of them not working in all machines. The problem with older machines that only detect differences by weight and size is that they would have to be set so accurate to say the Irish 2 Euro coin to distinguish it from the Baht that it may reject foreign 2 Euros coins aswell as each country mints their own and theres always a slight difference between them. I believe theres also a difference in metalic qualities from one countries coins to another so I don't know what way they've sorted this.

I've got both of those coins pictured in this thread and I can't work out what country ones from. The 10 Baht one shows the 10 clearly but God knows WTF the other one is. Their both the same size as the 2 Euro alright.

My G/F has been collecting Euro coins and she nearly has the whole lot from the 12 countries. Only missing the 1 and 2 cents from Finland which are hard to get cause they don't use them over there. However there are loads for sale on ebay so I'm sure they can be got. If you really want some rare Euros, try get your hands on Euros from the extra 3 states that also use it, Monaco, San Marino and the Vatican. These are pretty rare and to give you an idea, the Vatican set in an official presentation box will fetch 500 Euro on ebay. I seen a German guy who had dozens of these for sale on Ebay and he sold out pretty quick at 500 a shot. You'll find pictures of these different rare ones on Ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Both pictured coins are 10-baht, but the second is the older version, before they started printing Arabic/Western numerals on them. The king has aged noticeably between the two.

A while back, Ireland had to change its 5p coin as filthy stuuuuuuuuudents had figured out that they worked as 1 mark coins in German vending machines. It was around the same markup, 800%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭simon_partridge

There's a coin in Ghana that's identical in size and shape to the British 50p coin but it's worth only 2p. You could make a nice little racket importing those...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

How can we import a ****load of these? I won't have to work anymore. I could live off vending machines! :D

Free chocolate, free crisps, free drink, free condoms! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Was that the coin banks were ordered not to issue in large quantities cause someone found out they worked as 2euro coins in vending machines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A lot of (but not all) vending machines have been updated to check the weight and magnetic profile of coins (as well as size) to reduce such fraud. Hence, the 1999 £1 coin (made by the Royal Mint, not the Central Bank of Ireland), had a slight variation which meant they were rejected by many electronic parking meters in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Originally posted by pickarooney

A while back, Ireland had to change its 5p coin as filthy stuuuuuuuuudents had figured out that they worked as 1 mark coins in German vending machines. It was around the same markup, 800%. [/B]

He He! We drank and smoked very cheaply in Frankfurt a few years ago with that knowledge. Anybody coming to visit was ordered to empty the piggy bank and turn the sofa upside down before coming over.
    Happy days they were.

thisthreadsucks.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭lazer

that is a thai bht my lad.. worth about 3p..

Advertisement